2018 Spring RFL Sign-Up and Running Thread: Grande Finale

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
@drmalawi I always paused the video, counted the whole screen and substracted leftovers when moving on. So yeah I simply counted all kills. :rolleyes: But it doesn't make a big difference since losing drops is much less of an issue than expected. Checking the vid above, none were lost in the last run and only 2-3 in the first two runs. I think that issue can be eliminated entirely with more practice and better positioning. I'm teleporting on switch and still mess up the weapon switching from time to time, i.e. shooting when I mean to teleport and vice versa. :p So there's definitely room for improvement still.

On a side note, completed the set with untwinked 99er Necro. Couple of highlights from the last 8 hours:

11_194ed homu.png 11_Death Cleaver.png 11_Druid ammy.png 11_Ele life skiller.png 11_eth4os thresher.png 11_Gris Valor.png 11_Mara ID.png 11_Reaper2.png 11_tomby.png
11_life mf gc.png

Tomby was non-eth, 3os. Other drops included another life/LR sc, a [email protected] GC and a BK sword.

Overall, his mission clearly failed. :) None of the uniques he was looking for dropped and the qualifier count is terrible. :mad: Not sure how to continue with him after the RFL, might roll away his very nice Pit map and turn to Mephisto for a little while once more. But it's on to Baal runs soon in any case. Made it to 95.3 with him so that's good at least.

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
only have had chances to play a couple minutes here and there. No more runes, but did net a Glad's Bane.

@drmalawi You really don't lose too many drops to space in AS. Especially if you avoid the Portaling and Switchback arms.

Shuffleblast

Diabloii.Net Member
I've done my 20 hours and I expect to be among the last. :)

18 hours were done in CS. I've been doing the seal trick on p7 for a while but it was too risky, so I switched to p3 semi-full clears focusing on finger mages. Then out of frustration, I've spent an hour doing countess so I at least had 5 qualifiers and spent the last hour running p7 eldritch and shenk for no apparent reason.

Yng

Diabloii.Net Member
Can the Ghosts in AS drop Cham? Because I don’t think they can. That’s Zod and Cham off the potential list.
CS >

No one has tried Flayer Dungeon?

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
Back to running a bit in short sessions. So only three hours in, but this drop merited an update:
CS (Darkforce).jpg
Only my second ever (and it dropped shortly after the first dropped for the untwinked necro but with better PnB roll):
Code:
Darkforce Spawn
Bloodlord Skull
Defense: 396
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 16 of 20
Required Level: 64
Required Strength: 106
Fingerprint: 0x70b3cc8e
Item Level: **
Version: Expansion 1.10+
Unidentified
+1 to Summoning Skills (Necromancer Only)
+3 to Poison and Bone Skills (Necromancer Only)
+1 to Curses (Necromancer only)
+30% Faster Cast Rate
+166% Enhanced Defense
Increase Maximum Mana 10%

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Can the Ghosts in AS drop Cham? Because I don’t think they can. That’s Zod and Cham off the potential list.
CS >
?
They seem to drop cham, both according to silospen drop calc and to the german drop calc.

Reactions: Yng

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
No one has tried Flayer Dungeon?
My Sorc had this Flayer configuration on her current maps:
Flayer.jpg
I can teleport across with character screen open, so I had quick access to the Flayer Dungeon.

After a few minutes, here are some issues I had:
Dolls (ouch)
Ghosts don't always spawn (5 possible monster groups?)
Monster density doesn't look too impressive (I didn't bother counting)
Need a Tome of TP to go back to Act 4 or run up Kurast Docks
Annoying/Unfun area (subjective)

Yng

Diabloii.Net Member
:( Figured it was worth investigating.

E: just seeing Plains of Despair has two potential mobs with increased rune drop.

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice drop @PhineasB, that's one of the 3 items I haven't found. :mad: Glad to see you getting back to running, hope things are fine with your hand!

CS >
Yeah they drop up to Cham.

The current indication of 20-40% higher efficiency than CS (based on ~150 kills/min there) is massive, I'd take that over the chances of finding a Zod any day. Of course that's only for RFL "areas" purposes and also ignoring S&U considerations, but from that perspective CS/Pits seem to be not even close. In any case quite the suggestion @zemaj!

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
Awesome videos both @ffs and @NanoMist ! Very cool to see Arcane performing decently, always interesting to have new areas to consider.

@drmalawi - I wouldn't bother with Fissure in the AS, but mostly because it's coverage is unreliable at beast and with such a small "floor" area, I would imagine monsters would get in the pockets and be missed entirely more often than you'd like. Fissure thrives in the open space where monsters can run around a bit and hit multiple holes.

--

As for me, I'm over halfway and currently working on winning the title of longest streak without a qualifier. So, yeah. I have gotten my runtimes down to a pretty consistent average of 1:40, so I consider that a small moral victory at least. ;)

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
13 hours in. The last 5 or so haven't been good in terms of drops, hence no updates. I got tired of CS, so decided to try AS as well. Defnitely a nice change of pace. Got a Seraph's Hymn from it, and this nice rare:

Code:
Dread Grip
Ring
Required Level: 65
Fingerprint: 0xbc4907a8
Item Level: 79
Version: Expansion 1.10+
Unidentified
+4 to Minimum Damage
+105 to Attack Rating
7% Life stolen per hit
Replenish Life +4
All Resistances +10
Lightning Resist +17%

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
:( Figured it was worth investigating.

E: just seeing Plains of Despair has two potential mobs with increased rune drop.
I thought about Plains of Despair last year, and even with 2 ghost types, there's 6 total monster types. On average, there will be 1/3 ghosts, same as CS, but without guaranteed Vizier at the end. Biggest issue with the Souls is not the lightning damage, but the way they wander around while invisible, making it hard to kill them efficiently.

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
If none of the monsters spawns in PoD, just restart game. There are also finger mages in the city of the damned so when I teleported from CotD wp to PoD, if I encountered finger mages in CotD I ran that area first, and then moved to PoD to check monster rolls there. I look for the holy freeze aura procs to locate the burning souls. Vizier himself did have was is 25% higher chance of runedrops than a normal stormcaster?

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
not sure on the exact number but visier is guaranteed one non-potion drop so his chances are higher than anything else based on that. I don't recall if the chance is boosted for runes in general when looking at unique monsters, though

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
A bit more about Arcane Sanctuary runs, after watching the videos of @NanoMist and @ffs again, and from the 30 minutes I spent there with my Blizz Sorc yesterday. Random thoughts incoming ...

• Nanomist mainly goes for ghost monsters, and leaves alone large mobs if no ghosts are around; ffs seems to kill all big packs and all ghost monsters; I tend to do the latter as well, but don't know which would be more effective
  • Lightning based characters are best, because there are only cold and fire immunes in AS; since it's mostly the ghosts we are after, other builds work well though, as long as it's not based on physical damage; actually, I realize just now that both Hell Clan and Ghoul Lord have 110% res (fire and cold respectively), so their immunities can be broken by Infinity; especially in the case of Cold, with high lvl CM, that means that those monsters will easily be killed then; I'll definitely have to try that out next time
  • I skipped both the middle corridor and the end platform with the special chests; Nanomist skipped the former but not the latter, ffs did it the other way around; after watching the videos I'm inclined to try both; you don't have to completely do them; just a quick check to see if there's a mob around on the end platform or the platform at the center of the middle corridor
  • ffs teleports back to the wp to go to act 4 for quicker entrance in a new game; Nanomist and I just quit the game, talk to Warriv, go back to act 1 and take the wp there; I haven't timed both methods, but I would think that our method is a tad faster; even then the difference will be very small ;)
  • I had the impression that a lot of jewelry dropped in the 30 minutes I tested, including a unique amulet and unique ring; rng, or do those ghosts have an increased chance to drop jewelry?
  • as Nanomist and ffs said, it's not hard to have the ghosts not die in the open; in fact I was really surprised with how easy it was; so amount of drops lost is almost nihil

All in all quite crazy that yet again something new is discovered, after all these years. Then again last year the RFL areas round wasn't won by someone doing CS, despite the theoretically higher outcome. But theorycrafting is half the fun no? Even if the drop gods decide otherwise :).

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Cool @T72on1, glad to have another AS tester! I'll try to at least run it for 10h with Javazon, but will likely run the very nice Pit map she has rolled as well.

Couple of things on your notes and some further comments on AS running:
  • I have a horrible lag of some 10 seconds (!) whenever I use a TP/WP to Rogue Camp, and unfortunately it's the same when using Warriv in A2. It's kind of really annoying... and basically makes AT runs impossible. So I have to go back to A4. That being said, in this case I don't bother, to me it doesn't seem to make any tangible difference at all.
  • I skipped the end platform because it involves more back-tracking than the middle corridor, and in my case also killing from the top which is not ideal for seeing drops (resulting in more teleports necessary potentially). That's also the reason why I check the middle corridor on my way back, so I can kill mobs there from bottom right side. Maybe I should roll a map with the map layout in NW direction and check both though.
  • Regarding what to kill apart from ghosts, could very well be different for Javazon and Sorc. For Javazon, the bigger the group, the faster she can kill it. So for her it makes sense to kill big other groups because it only takes 1-2 shots. For Sorc, her kill speed stays the same irrespective of group size. Don't know whether it makes sense for her to focus only on ghosts or other big groups? Testing encouraged!
  • Regarding Java and FCR: Haven't tried 68% FCR, but 99% seems desirable to me since this is all about teleporting. 99% FCR is difficult to achieve with a CtA switch, but I don't think CtA is strictly necessary in AS. So 99% FCR with some 50% FCR switch weapon (e.g. Wizzy) should do just fine. I might try this also, since it enables higher damage on Javelin switch and thus could provide faster run times.
  • A 68% FCR Javelin switch with Spirit could be worth testing as well. It means losing out on a lot of damage and other good stats, also teleport is one frame slower. But it means no weapon switching, which makes up for that to some extent at least, and lower damage may still be just fine. @NanoMist ran with such a setup for cows and I was surprised how fast it was. Then again he's always super efficient. :) Also such a setup is not too hard to build, only somewhat rare parts are Griffon's and Enigma.
  • Tried Lightning/CL Sorc yesterday, but couldn't beat Java efficiency with her. Initial runs were about 20% slower and she also killed less monsters standing near ghosts if they were not lined up. I tried using CL to clear some more, but it didn't improve kills per minute. Currently I don't have a Nova spec Sorc, but from Nano's vid it seems to me it Nova is hard to beat for Sorc.
All in all quite crazy that yet again something new is discovered, after all these years. Then again last year the RFL areas round wasn't won by someone doing CS, despite the theoretically higher outcome. But theorycrafting is half the fun no? Even if the drop gods decide otherwise :).
Agreed 100%. :)