Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2017 Winter RFL Sign-Up and Running Thread: 1st Round

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Grape, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Lynchgrinch

Lynchgrinch IncGamers Member

Almost 6 hours in to my running. I managed to roll a decent RoF map for superchests but my luck has been savagely bad.

I've given up a little on the repetition of running the same bit OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Maybe i'm not cut out for the SPF? Hahaha.
    I'm currently running Mausoleum => Andy => AT => Meph => RoF => Pindle in a game and doing it in about 4 mins give or take. I got suuuuuper lucky with map layouts.

Good luck everyone, keep up the good work!

All those Mara's are killing me!!

PhineasB likes this.
  2. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Javazon is feeling really boring. Switched to CS sorc instead. She is much more fun to play, and also feels more efficient too. Adapting her playing style feels strange. It is almost like ghost hunting party. Since they fall really fast, I even nail pack of 3 together (like 9 other creeps, hey!). When I see 2 ghosts + whatever group, it is lunch time. Stopping on big groups otherwise when ghosts are not around and it seems like a fine strategy. Oh, also ignoring most lonely bosspacks if not ghosts or without creeps around. Feels strange, but hey, it is rune hunting party after all.

Actually, 1 ghost is like 3.5 other creeps. So 3 of them are like a party of 10 creeps. 2 ghosts + 6 other creeps = 13 pitcreeps. You kill ghost gang around Vizier and it is stronger than clearing nest in pit. Lol.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    pharphis likes this.
  3. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

I'm guessing this also means I can't cube up all my crafting runes into Puls to get on the board

4. NanoMist

NanoMist IncGamers Member

Sounds much like what I'm doing as well. A few days ago I compared my Pit necro to CS sorc by estimating monsters killed, and sorc was the clear winner for me. Agreed, it feels different from the usual CS play, but it is fun though. I even go after 2 isolated ghosts, they die fast enough to be worth it in my opinion. I never go after venom lords, they take split second too long for what they are worth. If they die, it's collateral damage from killing ghosts or big packs of doom knights.

5. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

I have now reached a half way mark and it was time to get rid of my stupid CS map. What really made do it was seeing Grand Vizier spawn with ONE minion, that really did it to me. Now, I have a proper Y-shaped Vizier branch with 2-3 bosses spawning near him, so I'm now going to do the second half doing Grand Vizier runs alone, ditching everything else except lone Storm Caster boss packs if I encounter them.

Maybe I can salvage my RFL.

T72on1, Lynchgrinch and pharphis like this.
  6. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

I definitely have to adjust my strategy for CS too. And try to have a second batch of runs ... ): Got a big 7 - 8 hours in on Friday, but my runs where awfully inefficient. Didn't have time after that, hopefully tomorrow is different.

7. Gripphon

Efficiency is not of that big importance while running areas. They are simply too weak for runes to justify it inside only 20 hours of running. By my calculations, even if you run like a maniac, you are still gonna have trouble farming 5 qualifiers. Areas are roughly ~2.5 times worse than Travincal, which means farming above 6 qualifiers is not exactly expected even for best of the best out there. Or I simply underestimate areas. At least now we will know since last time cows were also the target, and those are almost twice as good as areas.

8. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Well my point of reference is the previous RFO, my first here. Iirc I found Ber, Sur, 3x Gul then, doing nothing but AT, slow because it was my first tourament, in HC nonetheless. Although I think we could do 30 hours the, and I did some 28 before deeding here.

My point probably is: I might have started with the wrong expectations. Now I'm already frustrated. Will try to start running again with a cleared mind. Although I think that efficiency always matters. In the end it's about luck, but efficiency does have an influence ...

9. Gripphon

I just noticed Pul is also counting, I had impression only Um+ is.
    But yes, last time it was unlimited format and people did more than 20 hours of running. On 20 hours I kinda think we will regret not counting lower runes than a Pul too to have top 5, but... we shall see how this goes. I'm also curious to see how good areas are.

10. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

I was on the same boat as @T72on1, I was expecting qualifiers come all the time, but the reality is that they don't. Or they do and you guys are just hustling me? Or I am hustling you? Case of whether you trust anyone about rune drops here ;)

Anyways, I was looking at 2016 Zodthon results and yikes, there's some serious HR lists from everyone that I thought that there can't be a 20-hour limit on that tournament. Just the winner, @Gripphon what a surprise, got Cham+4x Ber in top5! Just to get to place 8 (last place to get points per round in this tournament) was a score of 52.7 (Jah+Lo+Gul+Gul+Um), even that looks like an amazing haul to me if it was done in 20 hours in CS.

I still have several hours to go, but I should be done with the first set before the weekend, so I'll likely start a second set. Not sure if I continue with Hammerdin and CS or if I should go with something else. I still feel like CS is a winning option purely based on the Storm Casters present and Grand Vizier seal, but considering if I should try out a Sorc or Javazon there (don't have other characters high enough in level to participate this time around). Not sure if I can gear either well enough to run there, but if anyone has a link to a CS Blizz or CS Javazon builds with gear options out there, that'd be greatly appreciated!

11. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC IncGamers Member

I'm just hoping to get ONE qualifying rune for all 3 sessions. Of course, that is in 1.07. So, dunno what people can expect from 20 hours in 1.13. I'll find out soon enough! ;)

pharphis likes this.
  12. Xios

Xios IncGamers Member

Just curious but I'm guessing for the first round, Hellforge quest rewards don't count if they happen to qualify?

I've been leveling/gearing characters which includes some NM/Hell progression. I haven't actually done my Hellforge on them however.

Probably not in the spirit of things, it's not my plan to grush myself a dozen times in any case.

13. PhineasB

PhineasB IncGamers Member

A little less than 10 hours in. My 99er assassin is doing sets of 16 Baal runs, which generally come in less than 1 hour with more streamlined approach to (not) picking up many items. So 160 Baal runs in ~9 hours, 55 minutes.

The plus is that she has gained some nice XP and had some fun (non-rune) drops: 3os Tomb Reaver, Gladiator's Bane (her first), Taebek's shield, Ma-avina's diadem, Rising Sun, 2x Reaper's (still no ethereal though :(), Druid Elemental skiller, Homunculus, and a Assassin Shadow skiller. Two highlights:
    Baal (HHG).jpg
    Code:
    Head Hunter's Glory
    Troll Nest
    Defense: 553
    Chance to Block: 0
    Durability: 69 of 74
    Required Level: 75
    Required Strength: 106
    Fingerprint: 0xfdb3ea80
    Item Level: 99
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    Unidentified
    +385 Defense
    +339 Defense vs. Missile
    Fire Resist +29%
    Poison Resist +38%
    +6 Life after each Kill 3 Sockets (0 used)
    And a 3/3/4/6 Wolfhowl.
    Code:
    Wolfhowl
    Fury Visor
    Defense: 354
    Durability: 21 of 35
    Required Level: 79
    Required Strength: 129
    Fingerprint: 0x4ecb8330
    Item Level: 99
    +3 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)
    +3 to Feral Rage
    +4 to Lycanthropy
    +6 to Werewolf
    +135% Enhanced Defense
    +12 to Strength
    +8 to Dexterity
    +11 to Vitality
    Level 15 Summon Dire Wolf (12/18 Charges)
    The con is skepticism that she will net 5 qualifiers before this is over. :rolleyes:

T72on1 likes this.
  14. Burgomaster3

Burgomaster3 IncGamers Member

Got my mouse thing figured out, so I was able to get some serious running going on. This is easily the best drop so far:
    Code:
    Amber Small Charm of Vita
    Small Charm
    Required Level: 39
    Fingerprint: 0x6caac482
    Item Level: 85
    Unidentified
    +20 to Life
    Lightning Resist +10% 
    Beautiful little thing. I feel I'm overall getting a lot more charms than usual. Got couple of plain 7mf charms, also Elemental Druid skiller with poison damage or something.

Other than that, the item quality feels particularly low. I'm of course not expecting tc87 stuff every run, but I'm getting so much normal quality S/U's that I feel compelled to check if I'm indeed running Hell difficulty.

Got one tc87 though, and it just happens to be a grailer:
    Code:
    Ghostflame
    Legend Spike
    One Hand Damage: 136 - 207
    Durability: 34 of 47
    Required Level: 62
    Required Strength: 55
    Required Dexterity: 57
    Fingerprint: 0x706dc5de
    Item Level: **
    Unidentified
    Indestructible
    197% Enhanced Damage
    Ignore Target's Defense
    Adds 108 - 108 Magic Damage
    10% Mana stolen per hit
    +2 to Light Radius Ethereal 
    That makes Grail -5. Kinda lame item otherwise, Fleshripper is so much better. I was almost excited when I saw it was ethereal, until I realized it always spawns eth.

SPeaking of spawning eth, this is probably only other interesting unique drop so far:
    Code:
    Heaven's Light
    Mighty Scepter
    One Hand Damage: 229 - 297
    Durability: 26 of 26
    Required Level: 61
    Required Strength: 115
    Required Dexterity: 55
    Fingerprint: 0xd737e1d0
    Item Level: 85
    Unidentified
    +3 to Paladin Skill Levels
    +20% Increased Attack Speed
    282% Enhanced Damage
    -33% Target Defense
    +150% Damage to Undead
    33% Chance of Crushing Blow
    +20 Life after each Demon Kill
    +3 to Light Radius Ethereal
    1 Sockets (0 used) 
    Man, 18%ed and one socket away from perfect. If it had spawned perfect, I would've almost certainly sacrificed it to Zod God, for extra luck. Would've actually made pretty sweet weapon. Oh well.

Runes? Pffffft. As I'm approaching the halfway point, I'm making serious contingency plans. Basically, I'm probably going to run another set. Question is, do I stick with the Necro, or do I switch to CS? Good thing with Pitnecro is, that I'm actually getting better at it as I go along. Right now I feel I basically wasted the first few hours of this current set. Second set would be much more efficient- It would, of course, also be just more of the same. I'm not bored yet, but it can happen.

One bonus is, that unless I begin to die repeatedly, I'm gonna reach level 95 easily before the 20 hours is up. Trying to get the Necro as close to 96 as possible would be great extra incentive for more Pit runs.

I still think, that anyone who is doing at least somewhat efficient ghostbusting in CS is probably beating the salt mine dwellers by a mile. I'm considering Hammerdin and Sorceress, but dunno. I'm still quite bored with the Hammerdin, and I've never been that comfortable with Sorc in CS.

Dunno, maybe I run AT, just for comparison.

T72on1 and pharphis like this.
  15. Gripphon

I might record some CS action with gear showdown. Hint: 1.07 ark ftw. There are also 2 approaches: max block or vita. I'm taking vita route, and as for max block, video is here from frozzzen.

16. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

Listening to everyone speak about lack of rune drops and so forth, I think a motivating factor for me is getting XP and levelling a couple of my toons. Plus they carry some good MF without sacrificing major killing power so there is hope I can fill in some Grail gaps. And like Grip said, the feedback after the tourney will probably be of use to future rune hunters.

17. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

After reading your discussions of Finger Mages I'm quite close to re-respecing my sorc over to pure Blizzard. I've never had a blizz sorc before, and I have to say although lightning is powerful against maggots and spawners, without Griffon's etc., there is very little point in me running a light sorc.

18. Gripphon

CS blizzard sorc, vita variant.

There are part I could have kill monsters and would be better since density was ok to do it. You could also aim to target all ghost bosses through the river, but I've decided I like better to get straight to CS to start killing. It is more comfortable, and possibly better on a longer run. You do want to focus around Vizier pack as much as possible. Also, yes, don't waste time to kill everything on screen, you want to kill fast and big amount of creeps, those few left will just stall you. You better head to a new big group for new big killing spree. Use teleport trick to draw attention of nearby packs to get to you, blizzard is timed spell and you have time to do it.

Skills: I use -150 mastery and rest into Shiver armor to have nice defense. Rest is shown and I believe pretty straightforward. Use glacial spike to freeze melee attackers so you won't get into danger. I kinda want ok MF too, but you could go with full damage/defensive mode for full killing power if you want to.

EDIT
    Now I realized I used dual bkwb for a video meaning sorc on the video has 95 fcr.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

95 fcr.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Don't forget that fcr ring, guys. Don't be like me, you should know better.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Grape, Burgomaster3, T72on1 and 2 others like this.
  19. RickH

RickH IncGamers Member

Is that CoH you're wearing Gripp, and if so what's the base?

(Edit) I can make out Occi, War Travs, Shako, Chance Guards and prolly Mara's ;)
    (Edit2) Spirit?
    ..Gonna watch Vid now..

20. Gripphon

Gear is at the end of the video. 1.07 Ark, merc is CoH. Though Fortitude might be better. Don't know does merc need leech at all.

Kinda counted/estimated creeps killed on the video. Ghosts count as 3.5. Came to conclusion this clumsy-looking running nets you 125+ kills per run. So, someone more full-clear focused could easily aim to 160+ per run with more time invested.