2017 Winter RFL Sign-Up and Running Thread: 1st Round

Chaostar

Diabloii.Net Member
Just finished my 1st and only batch.
I'll PM the result right next. My report after the results ar published. :)

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
@T72on1 - Haha I was moreso talking about keeping my efficiency about 0.3 runes/run :p. Everyone here is doing reverse psychology pretending they got chump drops, so I'll just claim mine was REVERSE-reverse psychology, bringing morale down so whoever wins is even more pleased. ;)

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
I won't pretend, I'll just join the flow and say I'm swimming in high runes. Everyone here is expecting just that anyway, there is no point in saying anything else. Yeah, that will do it.

Now have to do those last 2.5 hours to finish my set. Still have 2 days left though. No rush!

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
Enjoying your victorious record batch little by little huh?

I'm expecting two Zods. One was a total underestimation by me.

Lynchgrinch

Diabloii.Net Member
Finally found the time to finish my batch. Very happy with the results, grailers AND qualifiers for me :)

Top 5 items (All grailers! Woo the perks of restarting recently!) that I found are:

Leviathan (Pindle)
Gladiator's Bane (Meph)
Halaberd's Reign (AT)
Wolf Howl (AT)
Wraith Flight (AT)

Also found: 2 plain Cold Tree Sorc Skillers and a few other assorted plain skillers from RoF superchests.
I ended up running just about every half decent area there is with two different characters (Blizz sorc and Javazon). Qualifiers came from just outside the pit for my Javazon (Carver Bosspack) and RoF superchests with the Blizz sorc.

Very happy with my round one. I'll be PM'ing Grape shortly!

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice hyping of results or psychological tricks! In keeping with the theme, I am either very pleased or sorely disappointed in results?

As mentioned in 99er thread, assassin did some more runs after finishing 20 hour set on Sunday and will try to get a few in each weekday. With those runs, the testing in WSK and some CS runs to start toward 97 with the 99er sorc, I decided to "start" another set. There is no chance of finishing, and likely won't get even 10 hours by Thursday. But maybe lightning (Zod) strikes. If the ladies don't find any qualifiers, I will note that on Thursday and only score the first set.

ILikeRocks

Diabloii.Net Member
I am not going to get anymore runs in before this round ends, so I uploaded the pictures and good luck everyone! I did realize one thing, I am terrible at screenshots, all of my still have the mini-map open and are very unprofessional lol.

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
Haha, I also have the mini-map open when taking screenshots. It will be nice when you look back after years, to know which patch you were playing :p

By the way, everyone, there's no need to send me screenshots, as they are not mandatory. Save them for results thread for anyone to see, if you wish :)

I have received results from ten players already, thanks for those. Btw, is there a limit how many conversations I can have in my PM box here? And why do I think it used to be ten?

DaveW

Diabloii.Net Member
Results sent. Not exactly swimming in high runes but then again wasn't expecting to. I do have a some questions tho.
Is there a helpfile or set of instructions for using the advanced runcounter by Silospen? I have it downloaded and operating but don't know how to run it yet.
Secondly how could I deck out my Blizz sorc for running Trav? The only piece of high end equipment I don't have is a DF. Currently using HotO, CoH, Spirit (+CtA and Spirit switch), Shako (+Ral) , Thundergod's Vigor, Bloodfist, Ravens, Dwarf Star and CR boots with 23%MF. Hits 63 FCR breakpoint and makes 86 FHR. Resists are pretty high and she can handle p3 OK. But this is Trav and I have deeds to these guys with some pretty heavy hitting barbs before. Any suggestions for improved safety?

@Grape I remember it was 10 PMs too. I wanna know how to delete my current conversations.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Secondly how could I deck out my Blizz sorc for running Trav? The only piece of high end equipment I don't have is a DF. Currently using HotO, CoH, Spirit (+CtA and Spirit switch), Shako (+Ral) , Thundergod's Vigor, Bloodfist, Ravens, Dwarf Star and CR boots with 23%MF. Hits 63 FCR breakpoint and makes 86 FHR. Resists are pretty high and she can handle p3 OK. But this is Trav and I have deeds to these guys with some pretty heavy hitting barbs before. Any suggestions for improved safety?
I think you already made her oversafe by a lot.

Biggest tip for both safety and faster running is to roll a good map. Sorc is character where difference between good and amazing map can easily mean 20% faster and safer running. Roll a map where ALL minions are out on the balcony as close to the dead end as possible. Then teleport to the right of them to block their way out. They won't be able to scatter and merc will tank them from ever reaching you. It might take some time to roll such map, they don't grow on trees. But once you do, your sorc will thank you a lot.

Equipment: Consider using Hellmouth gloves. Bloodfists don't offer much (you don't need 86 FHR for travincal, in fact you should never ever come to situation to need it at all. If you need it, you are doing something wrong. You could cast frozen armor too if you want!)
Everything else seems to be overprotecting, but if that is what you want, once you roll map I mentioned, you will see such sorc is a stonewall. That is a lot of absorb there, sir. Once you test her out, we could talk about removing some absorb equipment to get more damage out of her when you decide what you don't need anymore. If you use Hellmouth (it will heal you), you could remove that Dwarf Star for a SoJ, you will appreciate mana since no Insight (or you don't have Infinity? Even if you don't, Reaper's is better than Insight).

Last edited:

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I agree with @Gripphon here about the map. I recently rerolled maps again and finally hit such a map. Before I already had times I thought I had a good map, but once you roll it, you can easily tell it's the right one when you see it and play it. The difference is huge.

As for gear, I find Dwarf Star enough to negate fire damage. I don't have SoJ though, otherwise I'd indeed go with Hellmouth. I'm using Arachnid's for the +skill and fcr, and then a 10% fcr (with some resists) ring to hit the 105% fcr breakpoint. Not needed maybe, but I just can't stand the 63% one after having played with the 105% one for so long now.

About surviving: again Gripphon is right. You shouldn't be hit at all with a Sorc and a good map, period. If you get a nasty roll (Conviction or Fanatism), spam Glacial Spike more and/or just get out if you don't trust it. It doesn't happen too much, and it's not worth risking your character for. But overall my merc rarely dies, if at all, ever since I followed everyone's advice of putting Guardian Angel and Kira's on my merc. Before that, fire damage was killing him on a regular basis.

I'd go with Infinity on the merc, but if you don't have it or don't like mana issues, I'd go with Insight. Reaper's might be a bit stronger, but for me personally Insight is too convenient, so I only give it up for something like Infinity. I have some 850 mana now after BO, but I will probably switch the mf SCs I'm using now for more mana when the second round begins, as I still have to use mana pots too often to my taste.

Burgomaster3

Diabloii.Net Member
Gonna send results tomorrow at some point, still have some hours left of second set. I'm quite bored, so I might just cut it short if I find fifth qualifier. Good thing is, I realized I can watch Netflix while running and still get around 1:30 avg. I can live with that, so at least I'll be able to keep myself entertained during the remaining hours.

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
Same situation with me as @Burgomaster3 has, sending results tomorrow as I still have almost half left in my second set :p Non-D2 life has caught up a bit so have not had much time to run. But, I managed to finish my 500 run sets on RoF Superchests, Nihlathak and Halls of Pain superchest. I'll post some numbers probably tonight, unless I'm busy running and trying to get the second set closer to 20 hours. Then again, this second set has been more like "What do I feel like doing with my Hammerdin?", so I've run around, not very efficiently, so I'm not sure I even should try and get more hours in the set. If Round 2 would start tomorrow, I'd be test running Travincal already, but since we have a week off, I can do test runs then :)

Good luck for you poor souls who are still running and scrambling.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd go with Infinity on the merc, but if you don't have it or don't like mana issues, I'd go with Insight. Reaper's might be a bit stronger, but for me personally Insight is too convenient, so I only give it up for something like Infinity. I have some 850 mana now after BO, but I will probably switch the mf SCs I'm using now for more mana when the second round begins, as I still have to use mana pots too often to my taste.
Coming back to this: I changed some SCs and my fcr ring and had some 1050 mana after that. Makes a huge difference, as I hardly had to drink any mana pots anymore. So yeah, probably better to go for Reaper's if you don't have Infinity, and if you can get your mana up to 1050+.

Good luck to those still running !!! Really curious to see the results.

DaveW

Diabloii.Net Member
@Gripphon and T72on1 thx for advice guys. That Hellmouth and SoJ change really helped. She can stand and spam Blizz+Static+GS without a budge in the life bulb. But I still need a better map. I had a map with all the Council on the balcony ..... except one, Torc Icefist. And he is FI+CI+Stone Skin. Wat a pain. Gonna search again.

Also brought my fledgling WW barb thru to Trav. (I want 3 runners for Trav: Blizzy, WWer and Wolfbarb. The sorc and Wolfie are already high level (Wolfbarb is clvl **, Blizzie clvl 95. One thing that can deeds ur #$% is repetition so having 3 chars for the round will help alleviate that.) The WWer is clvl 80. I'm fine tuning him right now for when round 2 begins.

Now the WWer is wearing CoH, Arreats, LoH, dual Oaths (eth Balrog Blades), SoE, Dwarf Star, ML Ammy with Teleport and MarrowWalk. Resists are nearly maxed. CTH Council is 80% (Dex is 190 I believe). I do have a Grief in a PB and a Beast in a BA. How would those 2 weapons run together? They are not the same base type but I'm just after the Fanaticism Aura anyways. By the way the weapon above the gloves is the main weapon right?

Burgomaster3

Diabloii.Net Member
Now the WWer is wearing CoH, Arreats, LoH, dual Oaths (eth Balrog Blades), SoE, Dwarf Star, ML Ammy with Teleport and MarrowWalk. Resists are nearly maxed. CTH Council is 80% (Dex is 190 I believe). I do have a Grief in a PB and a Beast in a BA. How would those 2 weapons run together? They are not the same base type but I'm just after the Fanaticism Aura anyways. By the way the weapon above the gloves is the main weapon right?
Not sure if using two different weapon types is a good idea. This is from Amazon Basin:

"With two weapons, targeting check is made for primary weapon in fourth frame and for both weapons at every targeting check thereafter. If more than two targets can be targeted then each weapon will attack a separate target, otherwise both will attack single target. While target is in range, one weapon is constantly used to calculate the next hit-check frame. When no target is in range, alternates between the two weapons to calculate the next hit-check frame."

I don't think lvl 9 Fanaticism is enough to counterbalance your secondary weapon missing and doing inferior damage. It's a bit hard to find info on this subject, so you could just test it, but I doubt it would be better than your other options. Personally, I'd go with Grief/Oath-combo, I used that with good success before I made second Grief.

Otherwise gear looks pretty solid. Enigma+Highlord's with dual leech ring is probably bit more popular (and faster) option, but I can see CoH working well enough, especially if you want to max resists. Don't know what your second ring is, but I'd remind you not to use Ravenfrost, since frost damage tends to shatter corpses (no horking) and freezing doesn't slow WW attack speed. On switch I'd use something with high FCR and/or +skills.

Why Marrowwalks though? Gore Riders or War Travelers would be much better offensive option, rares with resistances if you need defensive solution. I'd go with Gores, since you could use Deadly Strike if you don't use HLW, and Crushing Blow is always nice. With WW Barb against Council, good offense is almost always good defense, since Life Leech is your number 1 survival ability.

I would also probably advice you to get some more levels. Helps you hit more, merc stays alive better, overall it's much safer when you're at least over level 85. Also, if merc dies, abort run. Almost all my deaths with WW barb in Travincal have resulted in me thinking "I'm sure I can handle this alone".