2017 Winter RFL Sign-Up and Running Thread: 1st Round

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
I also had a frustrating first 9.5 hrs until the first qualifier dropped. Then I stopped complaining. :)

Ultimately settled for Hammerdin clearing CS. Ran him for about 7-8 hours now. Didn't notice how good is CS map was, huge number of packs. I'm not as meticulous as you guys as far statistics go, but over one sample hour during the weekend I've recorded 23 runes, which makes 0.38 runes per minute. Very small sample of course, but more or less in line with what I would have guessed. That's really OK for me since I'm still doing full clears for xp and S/U as well, as in hitting all boss/champion packs and big mobs, clearing all seals (Vizier last), no Diablo.

Going to be difficult for me to finish 20 hrs though, RL/work is in the way big time. :/

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Still didn't find a single useful item in last 17.5 hours. Except for that middle rolled facet that will never be used probably. But it is interesting nonetheless since style of running is different and it felt kind of refreshing to move away from the standard routine.

Upon short testing of WSK, I don't think it can measure up to CS at all. But, area is a great promise for a completely new tournament designed specifically to run that area. WSK runehunting of some sort similar to this, except we run area normal people run from. Hype! Should be doable to host it sometime after RFL ends. Initial idea is to have 20 hours sets like here, but across 3 weeks of time so people actually can aim to finish 2 sets if they want to. Maybe include some sort of short MF league with items into mix... who knows. But WSK area it is for the next whatever-thing I'm planning.

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd be down for something like that, would be fun to theory-craft that one. Nothing makes a competition fun like a little bit of extra clenching!

As for this RFL, I've got about 3 hours left in my set to do, will probably be a close call if I can squeeze them in on time. Very curious to see the results though, should be interesting. Maybe everyone should do a little summary of the data they collected when the results thread gets posted (runes/run, runes/time, pgems farmed etc etc) and then we can compare all 3 rounds once it's over. That would be a nice little source of info for the min/maxers (I think that's most of us :p) out there!

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Bah, I'll be lucky to cross 10 hours the way things are going.

Picked up a plain Java Skiller and a high AR/+2Max dmg grand charm though in my 15 minutes last night.

Noodle

I'll finish up my first set tonight. I'll back Phineas - I've spent most of my time running Baal with my trapsin, and have one qualifier to show for it. Well, and a mediocre Ribby, and a nice Mara's, so not a total wash out, I guess.

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
@Gripphon I'm definitely down to having a tournament for "Odd place rune hunting", need some random places for my Hammerdin to run.

Finally found one of these:
Code:
Ruby Jewel of Fervor
Jewel
Required Level: 31
Fingerprint: 0x5b936d10
Item Level: 85
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+15% Increased Attack Speed
Fire Resist +18%
Too bad the roll is low :( Not sure if my Merc can afford to drop down in Fire res if I socket it in Eth Andy's he's wearing (currently socketed with Ral), especially since I'm running CS a lot. Maybe after I finish my 99 CS Hammerdin, I can make the swap? Don't know, excited to see this jewel but also disappointed on the roll.

DaveW

Diabloii.Net Member
Eight hours into second set here. Been getting alot of non-qualifying runes in CS with my Novamancer. I prefer him to the Blizzy sorc coz runs are alot safer. She is still hitting the ATs as well. So good for me that I mix it up. They both carry nice MF as well (around 300 each) but thats still to pay off in terms of grailers. But I did get some nice additions.

RFO_Cold_Facet.PNG
RFO_Finds_Necro_Circlet.GIF
Hoping Larzuk punches 2 holes in that circlet. Nearly halfway through 2nd set here. Good luck everyone.

PS @tomersss WSK is the World Stone Keep, a lvl 85 area prior to battling Baal. It can drop every item in the game (except Cow Kings stuff)

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
I did a little testing of WSK also and found it tough with the Blizzy. Spawns with gloams and the Ice Boars as main monsters in WSK2 were very challenging.

Part of it was my fault for not giving much though to her gear (and not bothering with CtA initially), but she got fried by gloams while dodging a pack of boars on the second or third run. Then I used a +1 BO to avoid pulling better roll off other character, and convicted gloams = death.

Finally borrowed higher roll CtA and switched out SoJ for Wisp Projector because losing Arachnid's would make 105 FCR out of reach (and faster cast felt necessary). The loss in +skill seemed worth it for safety, at least with current set up: COH, faceted Nightwing's, faceted Fathom + Spirit, Arachnids, Sandstorm, BKWB, Wisp Projector, Trang's gloves, FCR ammy with resists and +1 skill. Life was just over 1900 with charms and BO active (7 skillers and Gheeds, with SCs focused on life and filling resist holes).

I've run AT and CS with Blizz sorcs using much less strong gear (no faceted Nightwing's or Fathom). And this felt much more frantic. With more practice and better map, maybe it would make a difference -- she only did 15 or so runs, with the two deaths (no attempt to recover corpse was made). No deaths after switch to higher CtA roll and Wisp Projector, but it still did not seem anywhere as close to efficiency of CS (or even AT).

I approached maps as trying to max MF, with circular approach to avoid covering same ground but spot all boss packs along the lines Nightfish spelled out here. One thought for improving performance would be to focus on WSK 3. Gloams and rolls with cold immunes as the main spawn on WSK2 would be less of an issue with a map that has WP right next to stairs. Hit any bosses on the way to the stairs if not cold immune and then seek high density WSK 3 -- ghosts and finger mages can spawn, and not many cold immunes down there as @Gripphon noted.

I'm back to doing CS runs with 99er sorc and trying to finish the last Baal runs to 98 with the assassin. So further practice/experiments in WSK will have to wait. More thought to gear is also warranted before picking it back up. (I like the idea to combine MFing with rune finding to the competition!)

Burgomaster3

Diabloii.Net Member
I did a little testing of WSK also and found it tough with the Blizzy. Spawns with gloams and the Ice Boars as main monsters in WSK2 were very challenging.

Part of it was my fault for not giving much though to her gear (and not bothering with CtA initially), but she got fried by gloams while dodging a pack of boars on the second or third run. Then I used a +1 BO to avoid pulling better roll off other character, and convicted gloams = death.

Finally borrowed higher roll CtA and switched out SoJ for Wisp Projector because losing Arachnid's would make 105 FCR out of reach (and faster cast felt necessary). The loss in +skill seemed worth it for safety, at least with current set up: COH, faceted Nightwing's, faceted Fathom + Spirit, Arachnids, Sandstorm, BKWB, Wisp Projector, Trang's gloves, FCR ammy with resists and +1 skill. Life was just over 1900 with charms and BO active (7 skillers and Gheeds, with SCs focused on life and filling resist holes).

I've run AT and CS with Blizz sorcs using much less strong gear (no faceted Nightwing's or Fathom). And this felt much more frantic. With more practice and better map, maybe it would make a difference -- she only did 15 or so runs, with the two deaths (no attempt to recover corpse was made). No deaths after switch to higher CtA roll and Wisp Projector, but it still did not seem anywhere as close to efficiency of CS (or even AT).

I approached maps as trying to max MF, with circular approach to avoid covering same ground but spot all boss packs along the lines Nightfish spelled out here. One thought for improving performance would be to focus on WSK 3. Gloams and rolls with cold immunes as the main spawn on WSK2 would be less of an issue with a map that has WP right next to stairs. Hit any bosses on the way to the stairs if not cold immune and then seek high density WSK 3 -- ghosts and finger mages can spawn, and not many cold immunes down there as @Gripphon noted.

I'm back to doing CS runs with 99er sorc and trying to finish the last Baal runs to 98 with the assassin. So further practice/experiments in WSK will have to wait. More thought to gear is also warranted before picking it back up. (I like the idea to combine MFing with rune finding to the competition!)
I snooped around in WSK with just the CS gear, and I agree with your gear choices. Wisp Projector and Sandstorms came to mind instantly when meeting Gloams and those annoying skeleton mages. Although few poison res charms are probably enough is one wishes to use War Travelers, the poison is mostly just annoying anyway, not deadly.

I'm not sure if Nightwing's is needed though. Monsters seem to go down quickly enough without it. Shako would probably work better for extra survivability and MF.

I found WSK almost easier than CS, but I played only handful of runs and was kinda careful. The extra life from 1.07 Ark and Shako also help. I think the map might make a big difference down there. It would be nice to know what constitutes as good WSK map, in terms of bosspack/level. Nigthfish's guide is helpful but not very exact.

I've tried running WSK before (but not very exhaustively) with Lightning and Fire Sorcs, Trapsin and Novamancer, but never tried Blizzard Sorc before. Makes me wonder why, because she seems to be fastest by far. Not exactly surprising, really. Other builds can break immunities with Infinity, but killspeed isn't the greatest. The cold immunes especially in WSK3 are easy to ignore.

So yeah, I'm also down with WSK thing in the future, would be refreshing. Some kind of combination of MF/RF could be neat, if someone can figure out a decent way to score it.

But there's still a lot of RFL ahead! Thing are looking slightly better in the CS, and I still have half of my second set left, so who knows. I'm not actually sure if I have time to finish it, to be honest, but I try my best.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
When I ran WSK with zerker, my goal was to aim over 10 bosspacks on levels 2 and 3 combined. I had like 10.5 or something like that.

As for sorc, I think she is better with block and 65 fcr. She could operate safely then.

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
Couple days left! Gogogogo!

I have received four results, thanks for those. And I'm also done for myself for the first round. Don't hesitate to PM me immediately when you're ready. :)

Few things:
  • I'll open signup and running thread for the next round during Friday (most likely).
  • Results thread for this round hopefully during the weekend, Saturday would be nice (this is up to you). Not going to wait too long, if someone forgets to post results. I think we can adjust them afterwards if needed...
  • I noticed I forgot to put tiebreaker(s) apart from the whole RFL. Do you think we need those for rounds? If some ppl have the exact same points, I think they could just share the position but ofc get points normally towards the whole RFL.

Xios

Diabloii.Net Member
Obviously I'm too busy inconspicuously looking at Ethereal Berserker Axes to send in my results.. yeah, that's definitely it.

Don't mind me.

On a more serious note, the talk of WSK is interesting. The potential for variety in monster types there seems like it could make things quite chaotic and unique. I'm not convinced it'll be some hidden gem of efficiency no one mined but that doesn't really discourage the concept.

I'm sure someone will enjoy running a Necromancer/Assassin and chain exploding all the Flayers ad nauseum.

mir

Diabloii.Net Member
Obviously I'm too busy inconspicuously looking at Ethereal Berserker Axes to send in my results.. yeah, that's definitely it.

Don't mind me.

On a more serious note, the talk of WSK is interesting. The potential for variety in monster types there seems like it could make things quite chaotic and unique. I'm not convinced it'll be some hidden gem of efficiency no one mined but that doesn't really discourage the concept.

I'm sure someone will enjoy running a Necromancer/Assassin and chain exploding all the Flayers ad nauseum.
Thats what I been doing lately, WSK3 on p1 with a trapper. Still no results for the 1-1.5 hours spent there. :(

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
So yeah, I'm also down with WSK thing in the future, would be refreshing. Some kind of combination of MF/RF could be neat, if someone can figure out a decent way to score it.
Yes, combination of both seems like a proper challenge to build characters for it. It is possibly not good solution to go p1 full MF running because you drop in rune department, or go full p7 runehunting with poor MF...

Scoring: there would be 2 separate groups of scores. One for runes, other for items. I think determining winner with similar scoring system as from RFL should be fine.

Scoring for runes: same as here, but runes all the way from Hel+ are included so that everyone can hope to score top 5 at least. Going Pul+ means half of participants probably won't have top 5.
Scoring for items: MFO scoring system, as simple as that.

Name: WorldStone King Tournament, or in short WSKT. Something like that. It is too early to say details yet, that will be like during mid april or something.

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
Finished my set! Sent my scores in to Grape.

Not a bad round for me, and the Pit Windy wasn't as bad in terms of efficiency that I had originally guessed. Also leveled to 94 in the process, so that's always good!

Finished somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 runs all on /p8 (yeah yeah I know /p7 would have been more efficient in strict rune finding, but I wanted the XP too :p).

~0.32 runes/run
~0.21 runes/min

Not stellar numbers by any means, but I'd say it's respectable for the build.

Here are my Top 3 items (the rest were not very noteworthy):

Code:
The Grandfather
Colossus Blade
One Hand Damage: 63 - 352
Two Hand Damage: 147 - 480
Durability: 31 of 50
Required Level: 81
Required Strength: 189
Required Dexterity: 110
Fingerprint: 0x682ab26
Item Level: **
Unidentified
Indestructible
155% Enhanced Damage
+187 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
50% Bonus to Attack Rating
All Stats +20
+80 to Life

Griswold's Redemption
Caduceus
One Hand Damage: 122 - 141
Durability: 50 of 70
Required Level: 66
Required Strength: 78
Required Dexterity: 56
Fingerprint: 0x853217aa
Item Level: **
+40% Increased Attack Speed
230% Enhanced Damage
+350% Damage to Undead
Requirements -20%
Set (2 items): +2 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
Set (3 items): Adds 10 - 20 Damage
Set (4 items): Adds 10 - 20 Damage
3 Sockets (0 used)

Steel Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Required Level: 53
Fingerprint: 0x945d5620
Item Level: 85
+106 to Attack Rating
+35 to Life
Cubed 86 PGems in the process and found 18 Rals/11 Sols (though I didn't focus too much on any of those, tbh)

All in all I had fun, gained some levels, and am pleased with my result! Time to build a Trav runner, which is something I've somehow avoided doing for my whole d2 career!

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
@Pb_pal is the first to say he is pleased with his results, instead of complaining about rune drops. It's official ... we have a winner!

I agree with @Gripphon about tiebreakers.

I'm not sure I'm that fond of a WSK Tournament. Having said that, everyone here knows I'll participate ;).