2016 Winter Zodthon Sign-Up and Running Thread

bodry

Diabloii.Net Member
Since I reached my seasonal goal in D3, I'll be joining this tourney. Most likely Pit necro on players 7, without Death's Web.

One silly little question though: Does Infinity help that much with killspeed for poison necro on players 7? My merc is currently using a nice Obedience with Treachery and whatever leech helm I have, so he tears down mobs quite fast.

P.s.: I add my name to the list when I get home.

maareek

Diabloii.Net Member
One silly little question though: Does Infinity help that much with killspeed for poison necro on players 7? My merc is currently using a nice Obedience with Treachery and whatever leech helm I have, so he tears down mobs quite fast.
-85% resistance on 50% of the damage from your main kill spell is a big deal, yes. It's not a day and night difference; either way is fine, but Infinity does come out ahead. Obedience gives the merc more damage than he has with Infinity, but having Infinity on the merc makes the runs overall more consistent and faster.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Infinity doesn't help at all with Poison damage, as it only decreases elemental (fire, lightning, cold) resistance. It's a really good runeword on it's own though, even without the Conviction aura. But so is Obedience ...

Edit: ninja'd by maareek. And I also stand corrected, as I only thought about the poison part of a Venomancer. While CE obviously means a lot in terms of killing speed too ...

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't use Infinity in Pit, but roughly difference between having Insight merc or Infinity merc + Insight golem is roughly ~3-5 seconds for me (1:05-1:10 cca avg), so... you could do without and be fine. Not on cows though, there it has much bigger impact.

bodry

Diabloii.Net Member
I tend to run Obedience and Insight golem, but tonight I'm gonna do some testruns to find out which one is faster :)

Last edited:

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
O yes, since I have only quite recently started in HC, I haven't got any items to add to the prize pool. Not something anyone would find useful anyway, I'd think. Obviously I won't claim any prizes either, if I get that far.*

*far easier to say when you know you won't even come close to winning ...

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, everyone has a chance to win in here. Zod drop is what will 99% make a winner, which is exactly the point of tourney anyway. Someone finding Zod and losing is unlikely, unless someone else has toss plenty hours of playing in and had decent luck with non-Zod runes and Zod finder has like 2 Hel runes in top 5. So, pretty much Zod decides here.

Depending on how much people intend to play, I do think it is quite possible to see at least 1 Zod in here.

Also welcome to all newcomers in the contest ^^

zticazzy

Diabloii.Net Member
Ladies and Gentlemen, last night I found something very interesting about the game mechanics that could affect this challenge. It's a long explanation, but it's worth a read.

First Act. Yesterday I noticed something weird in the IFT: PandadudeSP had the same exact drop pattern of a HR I found a while ago in LK, but from a random poppable, not a superchest. The items in there are rare enough to exclude a lucky coincidence, and my conclusion was that even random poppables in LK are organized in recursive patters, just like the superchests. This discovery may have an earth-shattering magnitude in a small forum like this, if only random poppables had on average more stuff to drop (and thus more runes to farm), but they are still less efficient to farm than LK superchests or Trav. So, what's the point of all this?
Second Act. Still, there's a circumstance where this fact can be exploited: the Zodthon! Here's my hypothesis: if we can prove that this rule applies to every poppable in the game and that there's at least one Zod pattern in act 5, the probability of finding Zod from act 5 pops would be way higher than the one you have by repeatedly killing cows for hours on end. The odds of Zod from 1.13d /p8 hell bovine is 1:1120383 (according to some obscure german calculator I found yesterday), while the chance of a Zod drop from poppables is 1:65536, assuming (and this is fundamental) that there's at least one Zod pattern, and that even poppables have only 65536 patterns just like superchests in LK. That means that each pop in act 5 is equivalent to roughly 17 /p8 cow kills, which means, in turn, that any average player (like me) with a fast tele character can run, say, the Frigid Highlands and pop a dozen random things and still have more chances, statistically speaking, to find Zod than a fully geared sorc killing 200 cows in the same amount of time (30 seconds? Maybe even less). And that without counting the sparkling chest laying there, which can drop Zod as well, as a jjscud's screenshot proved some time ago.
Third Act. So does such Zod pattern exist in act 5? The answer is YES, since I've witnessed it with my own eyes. Along with the rune, two greater healing potions dropped on the ground too (sadly my screenshot is lost forever, but who wants to see a paladin with 20 auras stacked together? :D). Even though I had non-legit chars at the time, the other game files were untouched, therefore that pattern does indeed exist. Do you want another proof? Here's what I found today: one guy casually recorded the same pattern (including the 2 greater healing potions) and posted it on youtube.

Some conclusions so far:
- drop patterns of random poppables are recursive and follow the same LK superchests generation rules;
- these "static" patterns seem to be present in each game act;
- they even replicate throughout different levels and different poppables (my pop was the barbarian girl, his pop a barbarian male tied to the cross in another level);
- there's at least one Zod pattern in act 5 (/p7).

Things to confirm:
- what are the clickable things included in the same category as the barb guy and barb girl? Barrels, wooden chests, barb corpses on the ground? Here I'm asking your help since I don't know how to extract this info from game files;
- is the total amount of patterns 65k just like LK superchests? I can't quite frankly answer to this but I feel like there's no reason why the devs would have changed the algorithms through which poppable drops are generated.

If what I wrote is right, then there's at least 1 Zod every 65k pops in act 5 waiting for you, and you people should consider running the place to win the competition. Keep in mind that you pop multiple objects each time, and assuming you pop 12 things per run you could get a Zod every 5.5k runs, a good result even without considering the other HR patterns yet to be discovered. As for me, I'll make Baal runs since I'm levelling there right now, but I'll surely make some Frigid Highlands sessions from time to time to test my luck.

Last edited:

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
@zticazzy - Very interesting for sure. I don't know how to go about testing it really, but I might give a shot at running some A5 poppables during this event just as a break from my regular targets. I guess if someone has the determination they can sift through the LK patterns thread and see if any of the runes found from poppables that were posted have matching patterns.

zticazzy

Diabloii.Net Member
@Pb_pal If every contender makes 500 runs, we have a solid chance to see it drop. I know it's a competition, but I don't think there will ever be a better occasion than this. I think I'm going for at least 500 runs no matter what.

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
Very interesting find zticazzy!

Now I wonder which of the A5 areas has the most potential for the most poppables. I'll be sure to check my maps and will also probably give this a little bit of effort. 200 fcr Howling Barb anyone? :p

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
I feel like the open-air areas have the highest number of poppables. That's not to say that they are in a consistent formation, or easy to make a "run" out of, but maybe quantity will rule over quality for this one.

Also, that's based on absolutely nothing so...

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
I thought the idea that all poppables have the 65k restriction was known, its just Superchests are essentially 1-6 (7 if locked?) chests in one poppbale so by chance, pre-1.13, they were the 'only' poppables that contained HR drops.

I dont think you're ever going to even approach LK for poppable density, that's why its such a good place to quickly get runes with weak characters.

There are a few features I've noticed from RoF maps that have about 5-7 densely packed poppables (one of them has a pentagram of chests), and a Jah was reported from a chest in the Superchest thread, but I still think you'd be way faster finding runes there just using a character that can kill stuff.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
I might help with poppables testing, just need character and map and everything. Agreed. I do think cows will prove boring quite fast so a bit of going around might work fine.

Also what player settings are we talking about here? I assume p7 is a go.

DaveW

Diabloii.Net Member
Well Ive started running. Cows with Firesorc. P5. 3 runs for 33 mins! lol I prolly need to speed up a bit. Found some nice socketables - DUsk Shroud and 3 sock Archon Plate. Make a nice Treachery. Good luck all.

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
I might help with poppables testing, just need character and map and everything.
If someone was computer savy, they could trawl the Item Find threads for LK rune postings and get a pretty quick dataset. I'd estimate half (or more) of HRs nowadays come from poppables there

DaveW

Diabloii.Net Member
Finished with a half hour stint in the Pits with the PNovamancer. P1. Is the best approach for runes to just kill everything? Or are we targetting boss packs and champions?

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, Fabian and Bodry said they will play. Who else wanna join in just say it.

@Brak
That is correct.

@DaveW
Mostly bosspacks with additional creeps. When there are a lot of them (devilkin nest), you can go in and kill.

EDIT: info I posted here is bad and now I erased it.

EDIT 2
I forgot about player settings... they don't affect drop chances of bosses at all, but they DO affect creeps. On p7 killing boss is similar to killing 2.25 creeps. So in the end, correct answer is that you kill pretty much everything. You could ignore isolated creeps to not waste time though.

Last edited:

zticazzy

Diabloii.Net Member
@Brak we're talking about having a Zod drop here, not farming runes in general. This is, I believe, the cheapest and easiest way to find one, available even to non-OP players. To find other runes and/or cube Zod there are clearly better options around. Anyway, thanks for confirming the 65k restriction thing, I didn't know it.

@Gripphon yes, that pattern is found in /p7-/p8.