2016 Winter Zodthon Sign-Up and Running Thread

zticazzy

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice that everyone gets something, there's clearly enough wealth for all the contenders. As for me, I'm running with my purist untwinked blah blah char, so I won't offer nor loot any item of those found during the competition.
One caveat about the allowed areas: let's say one wants to run LK, excluding superchests as you said. Zod can definitely drop there (I remember a screenshot of a guy getting Zod from a boss pack), so one can choose that area, right? Now, wouldn't it be unfair to run the place at p7 and pop things until the top 5 is composed by HRs only? One can obviously say enemies were killed in the process, and it'll be fine. What I'm trying to say is that the whole LK area is unbalanced and should be excluded, along with other areas filled with poppables, to avoid cheesy victories. Or are we allowing this tactic as well? I'm also asking because I'm planning to add LK runs to my routine hoping to find some easy jewels and runes (don't worry, those from superchests won't be added to my score) and I want to know what to do in case I pop some qualifiers.

Timinator

Diabloii.Net Member
I might join this. Chances are real I end up last (limited playing time and low efficiency), but it sounds like a fun way to start things up with this fine community.

Am I correct that I can already create a Trade Profile and as such participate, despite only being around since February 12?
I'm guessing you won't be eligible to trade. Anni plus torch ate not forum accepted mods

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I know my SC characters are a no-go when it comes to trading or participating in tournaments like this. The plan is to participate with my HC characters, who have never interacted with anyone else, and have only been using FAMs (RWM to be precise). They are also using a seperate stash in GoMule, which is also 'clean' according to the rules here.

By reading the forum rules, I thought I could see my SC and HC characters as seperate instances, and as such create a trade profile and participate in tournaments. Just let me know if this is not the case.

maareek

Diabloii.Net Member
By reading the forum rules, I thought I could see my SC and HC characters as seperate instances, and as such create a trade profile and participate in tournaments. Just let me know if this is not the case.
The only person who can tell you if you are eligible to trade here or not is Thyiad, the forum moderator. As Fabian said you should PM her to ask for the official stance on what you're intending to do.

Timinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Trading and taking part of the tournament aren't linked. Only contributions or taking prizes matters for your status.

maareek

Diabloii.Net Member
Trading and taking part of the tournament aren't linked. Only contributions or taking prizes matters for your status.
I don't know what possible reason you have for assuming this distinction exists, but regardless of from whence the idea came it does match reality. To participate in this tournament you have to have a trader profile. Making a trader profile means you are stating that you are eligible to trade by this forum's rules. Stated another way: being unable to trade means you are not allowed to make a trader profile, further meaning you are not allowed to participate in tournaments requiring you to have a trader profile.

Please don't state things as facts which aren't true to someone who is new and trying to learn how the forum works, because it undermines everyone else. Even more to the point, please do not attempt to make your own judgement in complicated situations and pass them off as the forum's rules. All questions about trade eligibility should be taken to the moderator and nobody else because only the moderator can make those decisions. Nobody else should be telling anyone whether something is okay or not if the whole matter is in question because nobody else has the power to make that call. I understand people want to try to be helpful but the most helpful you can be when someone is asking how the rules work is to tell them to ask the person who enforces the rules and not potentially confuse the matter.

I apologize if that comes off as harsh, but this forum has a length rules list and it has them for a reason. Getting people familiar with them is a bit of a hassle, but they're in place to maintain the integrity of what's been built here. Giving false information to someone who is just getting a handle on the ropes throws a wrench in everything and is very annoying to have to deal with. We all make mistakes and I'm not trying to insult your or throw you under the bus, I'm just saying to please be extra careful when giving advice to people who are new around here.

maareek

Diabloii.Net Member
Because there seems to be so little hype regarding this tournament about finding the least useful rune in the game I've decided to try and build some up the best way I know how: by talking over a static image and then also talking over moving images!

I did a little overview with some game play for a few of what I considered the more interesting builds and targets for the Zodathon. Hopefully seeing these videos and how awfully I play, combined with the knowledge that I've won several MF tournaments, is enough to give hope to anyone watching to sign up and lose terribly to Grip have a great time playing Diablo 2.

p1 Pindle Zerker:

p7 Pit Necro:

p7 Cow Necro:

p7 Pindle Sorc:

Be amazed as a two time MFO winner fails to switch skills properly and yells in a corner! Delight in the knowledge that you can do better! Sign up for the Zodathon and win participate and be proud of your effort!

I await my check in the mail, Gripphon.

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
I've had a chat with T72on1 - do we allow Terminators in this tourney? - and he's fine on HC.

I will be sending something for the prize stash but not until the weekend.

I did a couple of practice runes and got three Bers, a Sur and a Zod.

Ok that was a dream but I think it's a good sign.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks Thyiad :).

In that case I'm definitely in. I'll create a trade profile tomorrow and link it here, as I have to go now. Really looking forward to it.

I'm undecided yet, but I'll probably mainly be running my Blizz Sorc, with AT as source. I don't have an Enigma, so all my other characters most likely are much slower than her. I do happen to have an Infinity in HC (2x Ber are the only HRs I have found in HC so far, except for a Sur a few years back), so when I get bored of the Sorc I'll probably do some Cow and Pit runs with my Furyzon anyway. I'm also leveling my Venomancer some more (currently in NM Act 5), so he can do Hell Pits, but his gear isn't really good, so that's mainly to have a backup in case I happen to wreck my Sorc and Furyzon.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Not that I expect to win, but I'll pose the question anyways. If a self-found-only player (such as myself) wins (or even comes 2ndm, 3rd), do the prizes bump down to the next person or does it become void if the person chooses not to claim any?

ie. Self-found player wins 1st place and chooses not to claim. does 2nd place then get 4 items, or 3?
Prizes don't bump down. Any player can choose not to take any items or he can choose to take less items than he is allowed to (winner can take only 1 item despite being able to take 4 etc.)

There are some very nice prizes now that's awesome. I also just wanted to post my 2 cents about the prizes. I know not everyone is going to want to take the prizes or there may be leftover prizes. I was wondering if it was possible to create some sort of SPF prize pool for all contests and/or tournaments.

As in, when a new contest starts up, the leftover(if there are any) prizes are transferred over to the next tournament. People could also donate items at any point toward this prize pool.
Nah. People might reconsider giving items to prizes, and basically it is not problem to say in one post what is player donating every tournament.

Nice that everyone gets something, there's clearly enough wealth for all the contenders. As for me, I'm running with my purist untwinked blah blah char, so I won't offer nor loot any item of those found during the competition.
One caveat about the allowed areas: let's say one wants to run LK, excluding superchests as you said. Zod can definitely drop there (I remember a screenshot of a guy getting Zod from a boss pack), so one can choose that area, right? Now, wouldn't it be unfair to run the place at p7 and pop things until the top 5 is composed by HRs only? One can obviously say enemies were killed in the process, and it'll be fine. What I'm trying to say is that the whole LK area is unbalanced and should be excluded, along with other areas filled with poppables, to avoid cheesy victories. Or are we allowing this tactic as well? I'm also asking because I'm planning to add LK runs to my routine hoping to find some easy jewels and runes (don't worry, those from superchests won't be added to my score) and I want to know what to do in case I pop some qualifiers.
I don't think it would be unfair to run poppables. If someone thinks that is faster way of farming runes, well then he can do testing on it. If poppables are indeed superior in drop chances for runes, then other people might consider running poppables to farm runes next time!

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
That is nice effort there @maareek also nice videos. Seeing them I decided it is time to dust off my cownec since Zodthon is in less than 24 hours. For some reason when I record, I have some strange lag and it is very annoying. But here it is anyway. Some hybrid necro running cows (actually 90% summoner since pnova is just support skill here). Also dedicated summoner could be better, but I have no intention in making him even more popular than it already is. Let's leave question mark there :p
This nec can go sub 3 minute running from time to time anyway.

Every tactics I use is on video. I would suggest to skip those low counted isolated cow packs to not lose time or even proceed further after few are left. It is up to you, I like big piles of cows to kill instead. On video I could kill some leftovers near corpses, but I was kind of annoyed with that lag and didn't pay attention.

As for those two charms I showed at beginning, I got them from a few cowruns today. Agreed.

Code:
Burning Grand Charm of Vita
Grand Charm
Required Level: 69
Fingerprint: 0x294eda7e
Item Level: 81
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+1 to Fire Skills (Sorceress Only)
+38 to Life 

Natural Grand Charm of Life
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0xa19f3b85
Item Level: 81
+1 to Elemental Skills (Druid Only)
+17 to Life

XyleneCyanol

Diabloii.Net Member
Will be away from D2 for a while due to work, good luck everybody!!!

Looking forward to seeing a Zod drop screenshot in this event!!!!

thefranklin

Diabloii.Net Member
Here is small list of donations. The BotD was Zaph's that I received from his giveaway thread. I made a pat with it and now feel like someone else can get a chance. I plan on having a new zod anyways :) The other stuff is kind of random semi useful stuff that can be annoying to not have at the beginning.

Code:
The Gladiator's Bane
Wire Fleece
Defense: 2059
Durability: 120 of 120
Required Level: 85
Required Strength: 101
Fingerprint: 0xb95624fc
Item Level: 85
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
+178% Enhanced Defense
+50 Defense
Damage Reduced by 16
Magic Damage Reduced by 18
Cannot Be Frozen
Poison Length Reduced by 50%
Attacker Takes Damage of 20
+103 Maximum Durability
Ethereal

Tomb Reaver
Cryptic Axe
Two Hand Damage: 103 - 472
Durability: 37 of 65
Required Level: 84
Required Strength: 165
Required Dexterity: 103
Fingerprint: 0x5cdbd16f
Item Level: **
Unidentified
+60% Increased Attack Speed
215% Enhanced Damage
+181% Damage to Undead
+257 to Attack Rating against Undead
All Resistances +34
10% Reanimate as: Returned
+11 Life after each Kill
62% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+4 to Light Radius
3 Sockets (0 used)

Andariel's Visage
Demonhead
Defense: 339
Durability: 18 of 20
Required Level: 83
Required Strength: 102
Fingerprint: 0x5debb2ca
Item Level: 87
15% Chance to cast level 15 Poison Nova when struck
+2 to All Skills
+20% Increased Attack Speed
8% Life stolen per hit
+119% Enhanced Defense
+29 to Strength
+10% to Maximum Poison Resist
Fire Resist -30%
Poison Resist +70%
Level 3 Venom (19/20 Charges)

Arachnid Mesh
Spiderweb Sash
Defense: 123
Durability: 7 of 12
Required Level: 80
Required Strength: 50
Fingerprint: 0xf9e4da47
Item Level: 87
Unidentified
+1 to All Skills
+20% Faster Cast Rate
Slows Target by 10%
+96% Enhanced Defense
Increase Maximum Mana 5%
Level 3 Venom (10/11 Charges)

Arachnid Mesh
Spiderweb Sash
Defense: 124
Durability: 11 of 12
Required Level: 80
Required Strength: 50
Fingerprint: 0xf6235691
Unidentified
+1 to All Skills
+20% Faster Cast Rate
Slows Target by 10%
+97% Enhanced Defense
Increase Maximum Mana 5%
Level 3 Venom (10/11 Charges)

Wolfhowl
Fury Visor
Defense: 336
Durability: 30 of 35
Required Level: 79
Required Strength: 129
Fingerprint: 0xfc0b2230
Unidentified
+2 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)
+6 to Feral Rage
+5 to Lycanthropy
+5 to Werewolf
+123% Enhanced Defense
+11 to Strength
+8 to Dexterity
+9 to Vitality
Level 15 Summon Dire Wolf (8/18 Charges)

Kira's Guardian
Tiara
Defense: 137
Durability: 21 of 25
Required Level: 77
Fingerprint: 0x8982848b
Item Level: 86
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+93 Defense
All Resistances +64
Cannot Be Frozen

Eschuta's Temper
Eldritch Orb
One Hand Damage: 18 - 50
Durability: 19 of 30
Required Level: 72
Fingerprint: 0x564e4b3a
Unidentified
+3 to Sorceress Skill Levels
+40% Faster Cast Rate
+13% to Lightning Skill Damage
+20% to Fire Skill Damage
+29 to Energy

Breath of the Dying
War Pike
VexHelElEldZodEth
Two Hand Damage: 240 - 1308
Indestructible
Required Strength: 124
Required Dexterity: 77
Fingerprint: 0xd4897d05
50% Chance to cast level 20 Poison Nova when you Kill an Enemy
Indestructible
+60% Increased Attack Speed
390% Enhanced Damage
-25% Target Defense
+50 to Attack Rating
+200% Damage to Undead
+50 to Attack Rating against Undead
7% Mana stolen per hit
15% Life stolen per hit
Prevent Monster Heal
All Stats +30
+1 to Light Radius
Requirements -20%
Ethereal
6 Sockets (6 used)
Socketed: Vex Rune
Socketed: Hel Rune
Socketed: El Rune
Socketed: Eld Rune
Socketed: Zod Rune
Socketed: Eth Rune

Vex Rune
Required Level: 55
Weapons: 7% Mana stolen per hit
Armor: +5% to Maximum Fire Resist
Shields: +5% to Maximum Fire Resist

Hel Rune
Weapons: Requirements -20%
Armor: Requirements -15%
Shields: Requirements -15%

El Rune
Required Level: 11
Weapons: +50 to Attack Rating
+1 to Light Radius
Armor: +15 Defense
+1 to Light Radius
Shields: +15 Defense
+1 to Light Radius

Eld Rune
Required Level: 11
Weapons: +75% Damage to Undead
+50 to Attack Rating against Undead
Armor: 15% Slower Stamina Drain
Shields: 7% Increased Chance of Blocking

Zod Rune
Weapons: Indestructible
Armor: Indestructible
Shields: Indestructible

Eth Rune
Required Level: 15
Weapons: -25% Target Defense
Armor: Regenerate Mana 15%
Shields: Regenerate Mana 15%

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
--------------
Gripphon
maxicek
zticazzy
Friiser
Grape
Pb_pal
Thyiad
Franklin
DaveW
maareek
T72on1

Edit: I got my Venomancer to Hell Pits yesterday, but even on /p5 he just isn't fast enough compared to my Furyzon (on /p8). No surprise really, as he doesn't have a single skiller and no Death's Web. So like I said, I'll mainly be using my Blizz Sor (in AT I guess, although that /p7 Pindle video seemed interesting, is he really a good target for anything else than a Barb?). Although I don't have Enigma, my Furyzon shouldn't be too slow in Hell Cows if I finally can drag myself away from my old (and bad) habit of wanting to kill every single enemy, instead of just focusing on big packs. So she'll surely get some playing time as well.

Good luck everyone :). I'll only be starting tomorrow evening my time (in about 33 hours time). Just to give everyone a headstart of course ... :cool:

Last edited: