Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2015 Spring RFO Sign-Up and Running Thread

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Gripphon, May 6, 2015.

1. Zylo

Zylo IncGamers Member

For the barb users out there, what do you have socketed in your helm? I have a plain ruby jewel, but was going to spice it up with something a bit better. I was thinking a Ruby with +strength would be good, but realized I didn't have one, so that was off the table. I have a RJoF or these rare jewels:
    Code:
    Ghoul Heart
    Jewel
    Required Level: 49
    Fingerprint: 0x33176443
    Item Level: 80
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +30% Damage to Demons
    +27 to Attack Rating against Demons
    Adds 3 - 9 Fire Damage
    Adds 1 - 93 Lightning Damage
    +6 to Strength

Dun Jewel of Carnage
    Jewel
    Required Level: 18
    Fingerprint: 0x3de9277a
    Item Level: 85
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    Unidentified
    +14 to Maximum Damage
    12% Damage Taken Goes To Mana

Any other suggestions?

2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Arreat's Face
    Slayer Guard
    Defense: 151
    Durability: 47 of 55
    (Barbarian Only)
    Required Strength: 118
    Required Level: 42
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 87
    Fingerprint: 0x4c9953a1
    +30 to Life
    +25% Enhanced Defense
    24% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +2 to Barbarian Skill Levels
    15% Target Defense
    +1 to Combat Skills (Barbarian Only)
    +49 to Maximum Damage (0.5 per Character Level)
    Socketed (1: 1 used)

:cool:

3. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

@Zylo I use a cheap Ruby Jewel. It doesn't really make a noticeable difference. Cham would be nice but expensive.

@pharphis does that 15% Target Defense work when forwarded to 1.13? Or does it turn into -15% Target Defense?

4. Zylo

Zylo IncGamers Member

I'll give you all my 1.07 HC loots for that.

Edit: It turns into -15% target defense. I thought about Cham, but didn't think that would be wise for trav running. I don't think the IAS is needed either, except maybe for when you have to use berserk and you're chilled? Dunno. Guess I could IAS it and use it on frenzy or something later... hrmm.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  5. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Dunno. The +49 max dmg is still nice, though.

6. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

I just use a ptopaz, but a Diamond jewel is probably best, with Diamond of Carnage being especially gg. Was going to just say I'm not feeling any math right now and leave you hanging, but I decided to do a little playing around with the damage calculator using my barb and the better of my Griefs as a rough estimate. The usual rules apply: 1. I may well be an idiot and unable to read and/or type. 2. The proportions of damage from our gear (for instance, I use war travs, so someone using gore's would have different numbers) could possibly be different enough to make a significant difference in how much change specific bonuses give - in other words this is a comparison and reference point, not an absolute statement. 3. I'm not liable for anyone following what I say if Grip comes in later and says I'm a doofus.

Based off a non-superior Grief phase blade with +397 damage; 15min, 84max damage from gear + charms; 302 strength; level 89 might merc with 0 +skills; and 682% ED to demons (I could be wrong, but afaik %ED to undead/demons always works as off-weapon ED so I've added the other Grief's demon %ED.) These numbers are damage vs demons, taken before Deadly or Critical Strike, include no elemental damage and include no skill or mastery %ed, cause forgot until 2 seconds after posting.

Code:
    Base:                    5732-6677 (6204)
    14max jewel:             5732-6858 (6295)
    30% ed to demons, 6 str: 5891-6862 (6376)
    36% ed to demons:        5891-6862 (6376)
    40% ed to demons:        5909-6883 (6396)
    30% ed to demons, 14max: 5865-7017 (6441)
    40% ed to demons, 12max: 5909-7043 (6476)

Edit: and just because it bothered me, the numbers again, this time counting in a total of 306%ED from masteries and whirlwind.

Code:
    Base:                    7088-8256 (7672)
    14max jewel:             7088-8480 (7784)
    30% ed to demons, 6str:  7247-8441 (7844)
    36% ed to demons:        7247-8441 (7844)
    40% ed to demons:        7265-8462 (7863)
    30% ed to demons, 14max: 7220-8639 (7929)
    40% ed to demons, 12max: 7265-8659 (7962)
    I'll admit that at a certain point I just started having fun putting in numbers.

As per using a Ruby Jewel, I don't know about everybody else but I don't overstack res on my trav runner (he's at something like 75/30/80 total res) and he seems to do alright.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    Zylo likes this.
  7. Zylo

Zylo IncGamers Member

Ahh, thank you maareek. Think I'll go the RJoF(ED) route, off chance I need ias later on. I can always use raven frosts if I'm desperate for CBF. My resists are mediocre, but that hasn't ever seemed to be a problem.

8. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

You don't need resists if you wear dwarf star+string of ears, that's the conclusion of my testing yesterday. Previously I lost 1000-2000 life from fire enchanted bosses. Now around 500. ;)

9. zticazzy

zticazzy IncGamers Member

Zylo's question comes at the right time, as I was going to ask the same thing. I have a plain arreats and I don't know whether to put a 40%ED jewel or a +30 MAX DMG one. Calculations say that 40%ED is still better with any decent damage weapon (beast, rune master, ebotd...), but I'm not sure. That +30 max dmg jewel is so cool and I wanted to use it so bad :(

10. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Just put something like this in your Arreat's people:
    Code:
    Blood Talisman
    Jewel
    Required Level: 37
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0xf58010c8
    +5 to Strength
    +27% Enhanced Damage
    6% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    38% Damage to Demons
    +41 to Attack Rating against Demons
    Easy enough, right?
    I will share few interesting ideas what you could do with travbarbs and you decide what do you like or don't.

My personal top priority is to get 105 fcr breakpoint with switch. That can be done on a several ways naturally. Simple and powerful solution is hoto+hoto+arachnid mesh+ fcr ring, that way you also have 56% item find instead of 55%, but 55% is fine.
    Second biggest priority is to get 170-186 MF because that is the range where rare rings have highest drop chance. 170-175 is range for rare jewels, so I aimed for 176-186 to have slightly better chance for facets. Also having that MF naturally means you farm facets nicely, and Trav is second best place in the game to farm facets. Having that MF has much higher impact on efficiency of running than squeezing 5 or 10% more damage out of the build, but that's me. Not to mention you can also farm Mara's, Sojs or whatever.

Now my third biggest priority is this: survivability. Put enough points to vitality to have desired number of life. I find that having like 2500 is enough to keep you alive for at least 20k runs if you watch what you are doing. And try not to totally ignore resists, have at least some amount. I personally maxed cold and kept lightning in 50 region. Fire is whatever if you use 1.07 LoH, and with 1.13 LoH you can max it easily.

My next priority in combination to previous one is maxed cold resistance + having half freeze duration on ring slot. That way cold nova explosion from bosses last only 5.5 seconds on you, and their chilling attack lasts like 3 or less. That means you will profit by being chilled to whirl slowly through minions, and at the same time when there is physical immune boss left, chances are you will get chilled cause boss before made cold nova explosion. You can hork 2-3 corpses and then you always kill that phy immune with zerk and you are NOT chilled, so no slow slashing. With HFD mod you effectively achieve to have both chill effect to whirl slowly and cbf effect to zerk in full speed. If you get what I mean by that now. Problem is, finding such rings to cover resists and MF and leech at the same time + fcr + ar is not exactly easy thing to do.

My rings are this so you can see possibilities:
    Code:
    Plague Master
    Ring
    Required Level: 48
    Item Level: 96
    Fingerprint: 0x70992165
    Fire Resist +15%
    Lightning Resist +9%
    Cold Resist +9%
    Poison Resist +9%
    4% Life stolen per hit
    5% Mana stolen per hit
    8% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    10% Faster Cast Rate

Viper Band
    Ring
    Required Level: 44
    Item Level: 92
    Fingerprint: 0x5f3b1f93
    +3 to Strength
    +11 to Life
    +46 to Mana
    +114 to Attack Rating
    Cold Resist +26%
    3% Life stolen per hit
    Half Freeze Duration

My next priority is to have fastest zerking. Now notice there is one cheap trick here. HLW has 20 ias and LoH gloves have another 20, right? If you happen to use berserker axe, notice that you need 75 ias total for 10 frame zerking, instead of 11 frames you would have otherwise. This means your Grief BA needs 35+ IAS on primary slot! 34 ias gets you fastest ww breakpoint, but not the fastest zerk breakpoint. With phase blade your zerk will be 9 frames if not chilled so thats it, no cheap tricks there.

Next priority is to have enough mana to be able to hork councils, then tele back to act 4. I find that anything over 350 is great so you don't drink mana potions or any potions because of mana missing at all. Why act 4 with barb? Because according to my testings, using act 4 makes for like 2 seconds faster runs than if I run through town in act 3. It seems to me both Maareek and Frozzzen came to same conclusion after testing.

Next priority is AR. Notice that Grief has ignore target defense? That means against 8 out of 11 minions having AR is useless. I calculated that optimal AR to aim for is between 4500 and 5000, depending on your damage output. I personally have like 4650 total. In combination with rings and charms, pump dexterity to have that much AR. Pump vitality to have desired amount of HP as per survivability priority, and rest put into strength to rise your damage output.

Last priority is damage cause damage is easy to come up with, at least if you use Griefs. Use LoH gloves etcetc. Notice that War Travelers and Gore Riders offer similar damage output (to me Travelers offer more if I don't include crushing blow on Riders) + Travelers give you much wanted MF! Also you could use gheed in inventory instead of 1 maxer cause MF>damage on travbarb (according to my opinion that is), but I don't use it cause in combo of that jewel posted and rings + 50 mf travelers + few MF charms I have desired target of 176-186.

Now combine all those priorities and you have idea what my travbarb looks like. [​IMG]

So overall, depending on your needs and goals, I'd say some jewel that rises damage is best to put in Arreat because MF you can come up with in other slots. If you cannot and wanna use Rider's cause you believe they are super godly, then either Ist and Ptopaz in Arreat is by far best option (again, I value MF>damage). If you however don't care about MF at all and think Enigma is good enough for you, then go damage-damage-damage as Froz would say. What jewel is best is up to you to calculate using formulas, but I'd say high Ed% is best option.

Now choose your priorities and have fun building your barbs.

11. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Grip OP.

12. Gripphon

RFO starts tomorrow! Sign ups are open until 25th May 00:00 CET, then I'll officially close them.

-------------
    Gripphon
    Kitteh
    Gino
    srrw
    zticazzy
    bodry
    TreeOfSmoke
    thefranklin
    Goobergrape
    Zylo
    Pharphis
    RickH
    Cyrax
    Thyiad
    maxicek
    Grape
    LiquidClear
    scrcrw
    Dazliare
    dave
    frozzzen
    nulio

BBS_Agonistes likes this.
  13. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

Kitteh likes this.
  14. Kimppi

Kimppi IncGamers Member

You know I would do anything for you @nulio, my sweet love. Even this.

-------------
    Gripphon
    Kitteh
    Gino
    srrw
    zticazzy
    bodry
    TreeOfSmoke
    thefranklin
    Goobergrape
    Zylo
    Pharphis
    RickH
    Cyrax
    Thyiad
    maxicek
    Grape
    LiquidClear
    scrcrw
    Dazliare
    dave
    frozzzen
    nulio
    Kimppi

nulio likes this.
  15. Username is not in use

Username is not in use IncGamers Member

16. endlesscircuit

endlesscircuit IncGamers Member

-------------
    Gripphon
    Kitteh
    Gino
    srrw
    zticazzy
    bodry
    TreeOfSmoke
    thefranklin
    Goobergrape
    Zylo
    Pharphis
    RickH
    Cyrax
    Thyiad
    maxicek
    Grape
    LiquidClear
    scrcrw
    Dazliare
    dave
    frozzzen
    nulio
    Kimppi
    endlesscircuit

Never found a Kira's or Steel Shade for my merc on my untwinked Blizz sorc, but I'll be able to do at least a few runs anyway.

17. Username is not in use

Username is not in use IncGamers Member

-------------
    Gripphon
    Kitteh
    Gino
    srrw
    zticazzy
    bodry
    TreeOfSmoke
    thefranklin
    Goobergrape
    Zylo
    Pharphis
    RickH
    Cyrax
    Thyiad
    maxicek
    Grape
    LiquidClear
    scrcrw
    Dazliare
    dave
    frozzzen
    nulio
    Kimppi
    endlesscircuit
    Username is not in use

18. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Sadly I have limited amounts of Kira's, but my stashes are full of Steel Shades collecting digital dust. Will you take one from me?

19. Gripphon

Closing sign-ups in 45 minutes, so last chance to do it.

20. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

-------------
    Gripphon
    Kitteh
    Gino
    srrw
    zticazzy
    bodry
    TreeOfSmoke
    thefranklin
    Goobergrape
    Zylo
    Pharphis
    RickH
    Cyrax
    Thyiad
    maxicek
    Grape
    LiquidClear
    scrcrw
    Dazliare
    dave
    frozzzen
    nulio
    Kimppi
    endlesscircuit
    Username is not in use
    Fabian

pharphis, bodry and LiquidClear like this.