Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2015 Spring RFO Sign-Up and Running Thread

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Gripphon, May 6, 2015.

1. TreeOfSmoke

TreeOfSmoke Diabloii.Net Member

@Dazliare
    That is indeed some really terrible luck.
    To back that up with some numbers:
    If you assume a 1/150 chance of a qualifier per run and 1500 runs you have a 0.2% chance of finding 2 qualifiers.

Hope you make some nice stuff with the Pgems!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  2. Dazliare

Dazliare Diabloii.Net Member

This set was much more inefficient than the last set, but I still probably completed 600 runs. I'm in 1.13d for sure (I'm drowning in Pul/Mal/Um from LK) - I've just had rotten luck with Trav.

3. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Not finding qualifier in 600 runs for zealot is event that happens in 7.9% cases. It's not on extreme part of unlucky (at first I thought we talk about 1000 runs or more), but it is very unlucky streak indeed. It is expected to find 2.5 qualifiers on average in 600 runs to give you better idea of your luck.

4. Dazliare

Dazliare Diabloii.Net Member

:( I've never been a big fan of Trav anyway to be honest. I'll get back into my tournament characters :)

5. thefranklin

thefranklin Diabloii.Net Member

Wait, I need to stop and check: What is a qualifier and does the trav drop them? I am whirling myself silly for a handful of pgems...

6. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

Daz burned up all his luck at LK :D

Seriously though good run even if you didn't pull quals you still put in the time so you get respect from me.

7. bodry

bodry Diabloii.Net Member

Qualifiers are the runes Um and higher runes. These get you RFO points.

8. Cyrax

Cyrax Diabloii.Net Member

Can i exchange them for frequent flyer miles?

@Kitteh You know you can run Trav outside RFO as well, don't you?

9. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Yes, but I have two septs (one of them is even realistic) to complete, so my Travincal time is limited. RFO is a great excuse though ;)

10. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I have two runes!

Jcakes and zticazzy like this.
  11. maareek

maareek Diabloii.Net Member

So I was in one of my frankly probably unhealthful periods of imagination and realized it would've been really cool if someone had had the understanding to realize how well a cartoon of D2, and Travincal especially, could compete with the shows I watched as a kid.

The first thought to come to me was a wonderful history show, even though that wasn't the plan of the original. Fully Automated Intelligent Travincal Horkers would follow the adventures of five students at Kurast High School who fight against the forces of evil. But when Ritaphisto calls forth his/her/its most powerful minions -- the mega mecha-Council -- the horkers have to join their special powers together to form the giant super duper OP horker robot Gripphon to defeat them. Of course the series would end when Gripphon became self-aware and rebelled against the horkers in order to follow the prime directive of its programming: acquiring unique jewels.

Best part about Fully Automated Intelligent Travincal Horkers? The theme song, which would just be "Faith" by George Michael since it works on so many levels. (I narrowly cut out linking the Avicci song "Levels" there since I figured including a reference to a song with so many versions [one might even use a word which would push this sentence's grammaticality from dubious to improbable] could prove overly esoteric).

Of course Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is not the only show from that time frame which could be adapted for this, in fact I would say a far superior idea could be had in the guise of a combination of two cult classics which I will illustrate by a quick snippet of the lyrics from the new show's theme song.

And let's be honest here, it's quite clear that Blizzard drew immense inspiration from these two shows when they created the later parts of Act 3. The Council in Travincal is very clearly representative of Team Rocket - Ismail corresponds to James and has a set of 4 minions who follow him around, Geleb obviously shows they twisted Jesse's form to avoid copyright suits but they retained her pokemon using powers and of course Toorc not only looks like Meowth (upon close inspection you'll find that they each have not only a face, but only legs and arms) but has no minions; the similarity cannot be denied!

In terms of comparisons between late Act 3 and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles well frankly Mephisto is just a ripoff of Shredder. Both gained a legion of followers through nefarious means. Both are formidable enemies in hand to hand combat. Each has siblings who strongly disagree with their life choices. And, finally, both have horribly incompetent henchmen. If Blizzard hadn't had the foresight to remove the mask from Mephisto's face I'm pretty sure they would've been sued.

Just in case you think you're clever and think you've figured me out, this post wasn't some attempt to subliminally convince people by implicitly saying sorcs rule and barbs drool. It was a way to say it explicitly. Squirtle power!

BBS_Agonistes and pharphis like this.
  12. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

13. zticazzy

zticazzy Diabloii.Net Member

Amazing idea! Gripph will surely make a storyboard with Paint for this project.

14. TreeOfSmoke

TreeOfSmoke Diabloii.Net Member

Council,.... what did you do with Lycander?
    Lycander's Aim
    Ceremonial Bow
    Two Hand Damage: 76 - 161
    Durability: 47 of 55
    Required Level: 42
    Required Strength: 73
    Required Dexterity: 110
    Fingerprint: 0x1856d9e6
    Item Level: 85
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +2 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
    +2 to Amazon Skill Levels
    +20% Increased Attack Speed
    171% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 25 - 50 Damage
    8% Mana stolen per hit
    +20% Enhanced Defense
    +20 to Dexterity
    +20 to Energy

Lycander's Flank
    Ceremonial Pike
    Two Hand Damage: 133 - 311
    Durability: 12 of 25
    Required Level: 42
    Required Strength: 115
    Required Dexterity: 98
    Fingerprint: 0xd745c7e2
    Item Level: 85
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +2 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)
    +2 to Amazon Skill Levels
    +30% Increased Attack Speed
    159% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 25 - 50 Damage
    8% Life stolen per hit
    +20% Enhanced Defense
    +20 to Strength
    +20 to Vitality

15. Gripphon

16. maareek

maareek Diabloii.Net Member

@pharphis: Oh man, Squirtphael? I love that guy!

@Gripphon: Ahh, good, I was looking for this gif for when you send me your RFO results. ;p

nulio, srrw, Zylo and 3 others like this.
  17. Cyrax

Cyrax Diabloii.Net Member

Your overall stash doesn't count! :p

Intelligent? You sure?

18. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

Results sent. I did one 20h set. Unfortunately no time for a second one.

Thanks @Gripphon for hosting this, and thanks @maareek for supervising!

@ all others, good luck with the rest of your runs! Was very nice to see so many participating. Hope to see as many of you as possible in the MFO also.

19. Gripphon

So basically 4 days of RFO left, I guess its time to complain about finds.
    I got fine non-qualifiers, notably facets drop in insane rate and I naturally farm pgems and stuff, so it will be gg in the end. But qualifiers, man. Where are they, do they exist? Runes are supposed to be lolrunes now, and not something that is very hard to find. Perhaps I've been selling runes for too cheap price since I see how long it takes to actually farm them, and how much luck is actually needed to do it.
    I might end with same amount of qualifiers as last RFO in 40 hours, which is not bad, but is well below expectations. Maybe game decided to give me tons of facets to compensate for this bad luck? Who knows, I'm not really happy how things are turning out. But hey, it is very interesting battle at least, winner will not be known until the very last minute of RFO.

Or should I say RNFO aka Rune Not Finding Olympics? Ty Maxicek for this name which describes this RFO for many players me included. Anyway, back to RNFO-ing.

BBS_Agonistes likes this.
  20. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

I'm really enjoying this RFO! It has put a lot of real life things into perspective for me, like the value of time. I'm also getting better at the game itself which is encouraging. I'm almost at the limit where I need a real gaming mouse to keep up with my APM, and i think that's a good thing. Noticing the old Starcraft "warmups" are coming back. If anyone played SC they know what I'm saying, where you spam keys like crazy to get your hands moving. Any recommendations for gaming mouse/pad? I'm rolling a sloppy Logitech right now and it only clicks good if you ride the button's reset. Not sure if any of that makes sense.