Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2014 version - 9-11

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by BobCox2, Sep 10, 2014.

1. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

I think jokes are needed at this point.
    [​IMG]

If only I could go back....

:D

LOL - Evil never Dies - Blood must be shed on the Tree of Liberty.
    From Time To Time
    With Great power Comes Great Responsibility - at least we all know we are ****ing ourselves.
    T.P. Quote out of here.

We are the #1 and the Piss will rain down on our foes .

We Want All to Be Free or None Are.

Footnote:

(Can you tell this is one of my old favs in the pop-ups?)

Offered in a spirit of healing the foolishness.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow Diabloii.Net Member

The reason why the bills keep changing appearance every now and then is precisely to prevent time travelers from going to the past and betting on what they know will happen. That guy's future money would not be accepted.

BlizzBallerSorc likes this.
  3. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Remember 9/11 as not only a tragedy but as an example of how fear can drive people to waste trillions of dollars on an ill-defined war at the cost of the (American) citizens. Use it as an incentive to get money out of politics - stop the needless, wasteful interventions the US is taking part in by removing the financial incentive

http://www.wolf-pac.com/

4. fearedbliss

fearedbliss Diabloii.Net Member

+1 for Wolf PAC

5. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow Diabloii.Net Member

The tragedy is that people actually believe the government's lies about it.

6. pharphis

*facepalm*

Entertain me... which lies? I might explode if I see the word "nanothermite"

Also be specific... was 9/11 an "inside job" or was it "allowed to happen" due to negligence?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  7. Espr

Espr Diabloii.Net Member

I forget who said it, but I think it was an american or british politician (Emmanuel or Churchhill, I forget). "Never let a good crisis go to waste." I've always felt that the post9-11 political shenanigans were simply a matter of not letting a 'good crisis' go to waste, and taking the opportunity to make a power-grab. The movements to try and undo that are unfortunately painted with the same brush as conspiracy theorists; and well, precedent is against them anyhow. Governments almost never give up any power once they've aquired it. Only example I can think of is Sulla, and well, that didn't work out well for that republic did it?

The tragedy to me (aside from the loss of life) is how because of just how much the media played up 9-11 and turned terrorism into a trendy buzzword, that and it overshadows every act of terrorism prior, regardless of historical/political/social significance, whether it be home-grown, state-sponsored, actions during total-war, or the cause of WW1. It's that ignorance of the lessons of the 20th century that terrifies me.

I once overheard a conversation where someone said something about the unabomber, and the person asked "Unabomber? I thought there were two towers?".

Edit: bleh, sorry for the tangent. Guess it's been on my mind recently, with a WW1 podcast I've been following

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  8. BobCox2

I remember the first time I saw a kid pull a copy of Magical Mystery tour out of a stack of mine and say "Hey, Paul McCartney was in a Band before Wings?"

Back in the 70's

Change is the only constant.

9. coju

coju Diabloii.Net Member

We've been fear-mongering wars since before the War on Drugs.

10. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

Well, we can hope that instead of a "spare change" screed, NoisemakerArrow really meant the fantastical concept that having everyone flying from U.S. airports take of their shoes, surrender their toenail clippers, and take a ray bath in a giant microwave is keeping us safe... while the flights from other countries have no such screenings.

The serious 9/11 thread is on the OTF. Bob's just funnin'

11. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

12. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Given Obama's involvement, shouldn't golf club bags be more appropriate.

13. pharphis

Obama has been reasonably lousy overall but the digs at him saying he is vacationing during crises is absurd (look at how much previous president's took time off in comparison - especially Bush)

At least that's what I think you're referencing

14. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I'm referencing that he seems to really likes playing golf.

Although I did wonder why he was trundling around Stonehenge when he was supposed to be at a summit (NATO?) in Wales. Which is nowhere near Stonehenge. ;)

Pretty sure all leaders can be accused of doing the wrong thing at some time or another. But if your country is struggling with difficult economic times which affect the whole country, then you could at least pretend not to be treating your office as a holiday camp. (Cameron is included in that too; not just Obama.)

15. pharphis

I don't like Obama as a president because he started off with a lot of progressive talking points and then just continued to be a warhawk for the last 6 years or whatever. I was also recently reminded of a nobel peace prize... cmon...

16. fearedbliss

fearedbliss Diabloii.Net Member

Well unfortunately it doesn't seem like it will get any better in the future. Obama's speech on "ISIL"/ISIS on Wednesday just shows that we (The US) are unfortunately going to go into 2 more freaking wars (Basically..) since we are talking about Syria and Iraq.

On the democratic side for 2016, Hillary is just another warmonger corporatist so that's a no go.
    On the republican side, bunch of loons that also are warmongering corporatists.

Good game.

EDIT:

Funny that before Obama was president he basically said the correct things about getting Congressional approval for a war, and then after he is president he can basically say "Eh well it actually falls into this act which means that I don't even need to go through the Constitution".. I'm thinking.. wait a minute, the constitution comes before any act, not the other way around.

So Obama _basically_ said on Wednesday that he is basically going to do it, but that he wants to get congressional approval so more support is building up.. but he is still going to do it anyways.

17. pharphis

and the right will still grill him on every policy choice of his even when they match exactly what they claim in advance (MORE BOMBING! MORE INTERVENTION! WEAK PRESIDENT ISN'T DOING ANYTHING!)

18. BobCox2

Hey I blamed Europe for that - he got if for peace in advance ? WTF? We are Capitalist Americans. If the Nobel Committee and the Media (why are stupid people picking & judging the smart ones?) remove the incentive before performance smart Americans change goals.

19. BobCox2

September 11: The Ford Pinto arrives on this date in 1970.
    Just Saying 911 - Emergency jokes are old.