Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2012: The Apocalyptic Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Trionth, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

2012: The Apocalyptic Thread

December 21st, 2012: R.I.P. Earth

That doesn't give us much time with Diablo 3 :D

I've been doing some research into the whole "end of the world" and want some opinions from you lovely people! Well, I'll summarize a bit so you don't have to go read up too much (different causes, scenarios and general "knowledge" about the subject)

How'd they get the date? Did they just pull that number out of their...?

The Date:
    December 2012 marks the ending of the current b'ak'tun cycle (cycle 13, each cycle lasts 144,000 days) of the Mesoamerican Long Count Calendar. The calendar was used by most of South/Central America prior to European contact (I'll call it the Mayan calendar.) Apparently the 144,000 days on the Mayan calendar aligns with December 21st on our calendar! 2012 is also a leap year (coincidence?)

So, now you know how they got the date. Who cares. What makes it special?

Tortuguero Monument 6:
    A Mayan inscription known as the Tortuguero Monument 6, is thought to refer to b'ak'tun 13. It's been partially defaced; Mark Van Stone has the most complete translation:
    Tzuhtz-(a)j-oom u(y)-uxlajuun pik

The Thirteenth [b'ak'tun] will end

(ta) Chan Ajaw ux(-te') Uniiw.

(on) 4 Ajaw, the 3rd of Uniiw [3 K'ank'in].
    Uht-oom Ek'-...

Black ...[illegible]...will occur.
    Y-em(al)...Bolon Yookte' K'uh ta-chak-ma...

(It will be) the descent of Bolon Yokte' K'uh to the great (or "red"?)...[illegible]...
    You can read Mr. Stone's Article here.

Bolon Yoke' K'uh is thought to be a god of war, conflict, and the underworld. His name is composed of the elements.

So, what I get from this is that the Mayans think a god of war/conflict/underworld will visit earth and give us all delicious chilled beverages and pie...
    ...or wreck havoc on the earth using the fury of the elements. It really could go either way.

What the Hippies think: (no offense intended)
    Basically its the belief that 2012 will correspond to a global "consciousness shift"

One of the ideas out there is that "the Earth would pass through a great "beam" from the center of the galaxy, and that the Maya aligned their calendar in anticipation of [this] event"

The "consciousness shift" refers to the idea of spiritual evolution, and the possibility of leading the world into the "New Age" by individual example or by a group's joined consciousness. So, they aren't warning of impending doom, but they are trying "to foster counter-cultural sympathies and eventually socio-political and 'spiritual' activism" (quotes found here)

Sounds great! I'm leaning more towards the world ending then all of us getting along, so... on with the fun parts :)

Doomsday Theories:

Polar Shift (geomagnetic reversal): If you've seen the movie 2012 then you know how this is going to happen. We're all going to have epic close-calls by flying through crashing buildings, jumping massive chasms, and ultimately arriving at a modern day "ark" reserved for important people (not us common computer-bums.) Crazy action movie aside, the geomagnetic reversal is somewhat legit.

Scientist believe the the Earth is long overdue for a geomagnetic reversal (apparently it happens, but hasn't 780,000 years.) One thought is that the reversal could be triggered by a massive solar flare (if you keep up with the news, we just got hit by a pretty big CME.)

Planet Collision: If you remember back to 2003 there was a "scare" that we were on a crash course with Planet X/Nibiru. Obviously that didn't happen because I'm sitting here typing this thread. The same people say its going to happen... in 2012, imagine that. Planet X must be moving really fast, and from far away (that or its magically invisible) else I'm sure that one of the hundres of major telescopes in use would have seen it.

Web Bot: This isn't so much of how the world is going to end, as it is a "confirmation" that in 2012, we're toast. The Web Bot project is a series of automated bots that search the Internet for specific keywords, looking for patterns. Its co-creator, George Ure, states that its study of "web chatter" predicted the September 11th attacks in New York, though he also suggests that the project can predict natural disasters, such as earthquakes. He now asserts that the project has predicted that the world will end on December 21, 2012. What a coincidence, thats the same computer program the Mayans used thousands of years ago!

Smart 'Nanas: Perhaps the most realistic, thretening, and scary theory out there is that of Banana mind control. The massive changes scientists have made to the genetic make-up of bananas has given them a form of artificial inteligence. Obviously we cannot begin to comprehend what they are thinking, but some of the smartest people in the world have said that the smart 'nanas are out to destroy the world. These smart 'nanas have become masters of deception and have flooded the market using their unique ability to clone themselves. Each smart 'nana contains a mind-control chip in the center of its body that, once ingested, makes its way through the blood stream to the brain. Estimates suggest that hundreds of millions of people already have the chip in their brain. (this is not widely known as banana merchants would lose buisness)

Now that you know all the most common theories out there, what are your thoughts? :scratchchin:

All crazy wild theories and opinions are welcome.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. Shaigon

Shaigon IncGamers Member

Re: 2012: The Apocalyptic Thread

Remember Y2K?

I'm expecting the same outcome.

3. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Ah, yeah. I was going to put something about that in there.

I spent that New Years with extended family. As they counted down to midnight, I threw the breaker in the house :D

4. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

so did my dad, lol. :)

not to crush on your parade, OP, i THINK there is a thread talking about 2012. im lazy atm and don't feel like digging it up, but i think you can find some info and theories there. :)

5. Darkflight

Darkflight IncGamers Member

If I recall correctly, the last 500 or so doomsday predictions have been false.

Sooooo... I'll take my chances. :wink:

6. Mikachu

Mikachu IncGamers Member

I think there is, dunno where. *can't be bothered to look*

I remember saying something like *I hope everyone DIES*

>cough< well I thought I heard somewhere that the Mayans believed that the world had ended several times, but each time two people had survived and yeah....idk.
    :whistling::coffee::yes::crazyeyes:

7. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Bah, someone always has me one better. Guess I'm just not original.

The thread can be found here. Better formated, more concise, and has a poll (couldn't figure out how to do that...)

8. Leopold Stotch

it's okay and it's not that they were more original. just beat you to the punch. it's okay. ^_^

welcome to the forums, btw. :wave:

9. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Thank You.

10. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I think we will be fine. All the same, I think we should focus on space exploration. No sense in having all our eggs in one basket.

Oh, thread on CME here.

11. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Chances of the world ending in 2012: slim to none. I do think we're headed for something big though. Perhaps its just that I've been paying closer attention, but it seems as though the number and severity of natural disasters has increased. Seems like every month there is a severe natural disaster. Even here in Minnesota this year its been different. The seasons seem normal (which is weird, ask anyone whos lived here a while) and we've had quite a few tornados and storms (nasty ones) all across the state.

This is true, the only problem being getting to space. We can't get everyone to space, so its going to be the rich and the powerful. If it ever comes down to that I think we'll end up destroying each other (for the most part) before the world falls apart.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  12. Leopold Stotch

well, that'd be nice if Obama didn't cut space exploration budgets. :coffee:

hey, the big-*** gas explosion thread! lol!! :D

13. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I don't have statistics to make a point either way. I do however think it's a matter of perception. In today's world news is instantaneous. Disasters have always happened just people didn't hear of them as fast (or at all).

At least we are not living through the great Dust Bowl. Although one could make the case it was partly brought on by ourselves.

Or at least the very smart. One needs to be quite intelligent and well trained to go tooling around space.

Once colonies are built and mass transit established then the rest of us regular folk may have a shot at it.

grrrr.... don't get me started girl.... :banghead:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  14. Leopold Stotch

*hands you a cupcake*

im sorry, Amra.

15. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

I actually have a theory! :O

That the world actually won't end... *gasp* Yea I know, crazy right? But think about it, why would the Mayans just didn't bother to make a longer calender. Maybe a disease struck, or food supplies dwindling. Natural disasters? At least they didn't have a reason to continue making a calender when they wouldn't need one in the first place. xD

Although as far as a doomsday theory goes. The world will end when *swings crowbar* is released.

(did I do that right in not mentioning what should not be mentioned in the OT?) :hide:

16. IncubatorJones

IncubatorJones IncGamers Member

It's just an end of a cycle :p You know, just like 31st of December. The world will not end becouse there is no 32nd of December

17. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

Hold on a second! There's no 32nd December!?!?

We're screwed!!! *starts to panic*

18. chillietaco

chillietaco IncGamers Member

29th of June, 2011. Ten years after last Diablo game released

19. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Yeah, that was random.

20. Leopold Stotch