Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

200fC Pvp Fire Sorc Guide (v1!)

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Xenon[XoA], Aug 28, 2006.

1. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

200fC Pvp Fire Sorc Guide (v1!)

200fC Pvp Fire Sorc
    (vers 1)

Kinda surprised there wasn't one already written, since I thought (unfounded i suppose) that Sartok had written one o_O This will be more of a guide, in terms of outlining your options, than pointing out the best variant - since there are too many factors involved to determine the +best+.

zohwell. here we go.

Why 200fc? It's freaking fast. You'll never want to play 105fc fire again, once you've tasted this speed.

1] Stats/Skills/Quests outline
    2] Gear options
    3] PvP Strat

--

1] Stats - Skills - Quests - Basic stuff
    Level 90's easy enough to get, this allows for 89 skill points and 445 stat points base.
    Desired Quests:
    Normal, Nm, Hell
    Act1: Den of Evil, Search for Cain
    Act2: Radament's Lair
    Act3: Golden Bird, Lam Esen's Tome
    Act4: Fallen Angel
    Act5: Siege on Harrogath, Prison of Ice

From Quests, 30 Resists, 12 skill points, 15 stat points, 60 Life, 3 sockets
    For a total of 101 skill points, 460 char points @ lvl 90

There are 3 main variants for 200fc fire, in terms of gear/stats/skill placement:

Vita
    ES - Damage
    Es - Solid

=--Stats--=

Vita
    It should be vita/block, but with 200fc, you need at least 10fc on a shield - and max block with spirit is a nono. The only feasible option would be an eld'd lidless with a crafted safety ammy - and that isn't really feasible at all. So no block :x

- Str - Depends on gear. Whatever the highest amount required is, minus the +str you get from items and torch/anni. Base strength is 10.
    - Dex - Base.
    - Vita - Everything else
    - Energy - You're not an es sorc. Use mana pots if you really need to.

ES - Damage
    While I did split the ES category into two, the life/mana ratios are pretty well up to you in the end - it depends on the quality of the gear you can afford, as well as personal preference.

- Str - Depends on gear. Max amount required minus str from Items/charms.
    - Dex - Base.
    - Vita - It is possible to build es with max vita. I prefer a 50 vita / rest energy split. Higher vita would be recommended if you don't have the fire/life gcs or life/mana scs etc to support a low base vita.
    - Energy - Whatever you don't put into vita.

ES - Solid
    This es build, is mostly only different in terms of gear, and so I won't be offering up a different stat placement.

=--Skills--=
    Two approaches to skills if ES:
    either use skill points to reach ES / Chilling armor, or prebuff with a Memory / CTA staff with +chilling, +eshield.

If you use a prebuff staff instead of using pts, your eshield absorption will be at a lower rate, but you will have more points to use in Telekinesis (decreasing the relative manaburn per point of damage taken).

Cold (If no chilling on a prebuff staff)
    - Icebolt (prereq)
    - Iceblast (prereq)
    - Frozen Armor (prereq)
    - Shiver Armor (prereq)
    - Chilling Armor (1pt)

Fire
    - Warmth (1pt)
    - Firebolt (20pt)
    - Fireball (20pt)
    - Inferno (prereq)
    - Blaze (prereq)
    - Firewall (prereq)
    - Meteor (20pt)
    - Fire Mastery (20pt)

Lightning
    - Telekinesis (whatever you don't put into eshield)
    - Teleport (1pt)
    - Charged Bolt (pre-req)
    - Lightning (pre-req)
    - Chain Lightning (pre-req)
    - Energy Shield (remainder of points)

If going vita, just get Telekinesis as a pre-req, and a 1pt Teleport.

Your fire tree will cost you 84 points. 17 pts remaining at lvl 90. 2 pts for Telekinesis / Tele, 15 pts left. It would be more efficient to use prebuff gear - but It is also a bloody hassle. If you recast mid duel, it will mean a lower es there as well. 15 points to be spread among the lightning/Cold trees at will. Some ppl like putting an extra 2 points into the fire tree, for enchant (pre-req) to reach Hydra. I think it's a waste, but whatever :p

2] Gear options
    ES Builds

Target fc is 200.
    Target fhr is 86, minimum of 60
    Sockets will be discussed after gear options. Ideal equipment options are bolded.

Helms -Rare 2Sorc/20fc/Life/Mana/Resist/2os Tiara - 2/20/2os magical +Sorc or a 3/20/2os +Fire Tiara. If you're really hurting uhm.. maybe a griffons, for the fcr.

Belts - Arachnid Mesh - 20% FC, skill, max mana. Win?

Gloves - Magefist - Trangs is also an option, but I wouldn't recommend it at all. If you're on West, wizgloves ftw.

Boots - eth Sandstorm Treks - classic dupes, or frw/fhr/stat/Tri res boots. The mana boost from Silkweaves is so minimal and not worth your boot slot, when compared to the other options available.

Armor - Upped Vipermagi - 35/13 mdR would be ideal. You need as much fc as you can get, so your amulet choices aren't as limited. Quehegan's has fcr too, but in short, it's ****. Vipers are way cheap as it is.

Weap Switch 1 - Hoto or Wizspike - Wizspike allows for mass mana, resists, and 1 socket, at the cost of damage. Ideal weapon for the solid / defensive build of ES, Hoto's Ideal for the offensive build. Eschuta's is rather overrated, and not nearly as useful as either of these two.

Shield Switch 1 - 35% Spirit Monarch - Mass fcr/fhr/mana/life/ decent resists. Perfect shield for this build. Make it in an ethereal monarch if you want 10 less str reqs. It -is- possible with lidless, although you would be required to use wizspike and a 20% ammy. Spirits are dirt cheap as well though, so this shouldn't really be a problem.

Weap Switch 2 - CTA weap - One hand with spirit on shield switch, for maximum life/mana, or 2 hand Staff { War/Rune/Archon } with +ES and/or + Chilling if you're going that route.

Amulets - +2 sorc, 15+ FC, gravy mods - With the offensive setup, you'll need at least 15fc here. More, if you have less than 35 fc on your spirit monarch. +Sorc, as opposed to +fire, as it will also increase your eshield strength, and lower teleport's mana cost. With the defensive setup, you'll have 10% more fC - which allows you to use a +2, 5%+ ammy, or discard a fc ring in favor of a soj/bk/sorb ring.

Rings - 2x FC/Life/mana/resists/str rings - +Strength isn't the be all end all on FC rings. Keep in mind that +20 str is the equivalent of 40 life / 40 mana. Taking a crappy 10fc/18str ring with minor mods over another say.. 10fc/35+life/mana/res ring, simply because it has str is inefficient. If you're going by the defensive setup, you will have a choice of using 1fc Ring + 1 different ring, assuming a 15+fcr ammy. Soj/BK, or elemental absorb ring - switchable as needed.

Charms - 9x Fire gc, Torch, Anni - this Depends on setup, again. It is More efficient to use 12fhr Fire's than use single fhr scs. Whatever GCs aren't fhr, use vita Lifers. +Str Fires are inefficient. If you need str that isnt covered by torch/anni, use base points. A 6str fire Gc is the equivalency of a 12 life fire gc. Another option is to remove some fire/lifers and use Life/mana gCs, or bmanas (if east). Less overall damage, but your life/mana will increase.

Small charms... Life/manas, or life/resist scs if needed.

Sockets - 15/7s, Shaels, Jahs - whatever weaknesses you have fhr/resist wise, are to be made up through your sockets. If both are sufficient, Jah's for maximum life, or if primarily energy - Surs perhaps. Stacked resist would be a more prudent option though. 5/5 Facets are rather inefficient. The extra damage % is just stacked on top of your fire mastery, and the -resist really wont be enough to matter. Vs ppl with crap resist, you'll kill them anyway. Vs ppl who stack, it'll not make a difference.

Merc Gear
    A2 Merc - either Holy Freeze or Prayer:
    with Insight, eth fortitude, life leech helm.
    gaze/tals/crown of thieves, Andies, etc.

Holy freeze (nm defensive) makes everything way slow =)
    Prayer (normal + Hell offensive) gives you massive life/mana replenish when coupled with insight.
    Alternatively, if you don't need the mana, you could use
    a botd pole, or reapers toll (anti phys immunes).

=--The Different Builds--=
    Throughout I've been mentioning the different variants. While it -is- up to you in the end, the following are examples of each variant.

ES-Offensive
    86fhr BP, 200fcr BP

Hoto Flail, Spirit Monarch
    CTA weap, Spirit Monarch
    Upped viper, 15/7'd
    Arach
    2x FC rings
    Magefist
    Armafletch ammy, or 2/20/life/mana/res/str ammy
    2/20/mods rare tiara, 2x 15/7'd
    gg Rare boots (assume 10fhr)
    9x Vita fires
    10x life/manas
    18+/20res Torch/Anni

ES-Solid/defensive
    142 fhr BP, 200fcr BP, more resist, life, mana

15/7'd Wizspike, Spirit Monarch
    CTA Weap, Spirit Monarch
    2/20/mods 2os rare tiara, or 3/20/2os 2x 15/7'd
    Upped viper, 15/7'd
    Armafletch ammy, or 2/20/life/mana/res/str ammy
    Magefist
    eth Streks
    1x FC ring
    1x Soj
    3x fhr Fires, 2-3 Vita Fires, Rest scs of Life/mana
    1x fhr/res all sc
    18+/20res torch/anni

But these are expensive, high end items, you say? Well yeah. Pvp's about efficiency. The pricier items are generally more efficient, and thus more useful. I outlined the cheaper alternatives for the most part, in the previous gear section.

?] Pvm Strat
    Why no pvm strat this time? It's rather simple. If its not immune, kill it. If it is immune, tele past it. The merc will be able to deal with most single immunes, like random bosses or w/e. You'll be leveling mainly in chaos/trist/baals, If its that much of a problem, don't build a single element pvp sorc for pvm. Go play your hammerdin or something.

3] Pvp Strat
    To come later.

Lmk if i ****ed anything up really badly, or general corrections / thoughts!

2. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

So someone finally listened to the cries for a 200FCR Firesorc guide :flowers:
    *stickied*

3. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

*cries*
    I wanted to write a 200 fcr fb sorc guide! Damn you xenon!!!

Anyways, kudos to you... gg guide.... GGG

4. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

Feel free to add o_O
    I gots lotsa stuffs to do today + lazyness factor, so It'll prolly be tomorrow before I add the pvp section.

5. chek

chek IncGamers Member

Questions:

Why not infinity and mana potting vs insight?

can bvc catch you? how do you far against other cooki cutters?

How big is the difference from 8 to 7 frames and do you think the gear sacrafices justify it?

Thanks

6. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

I havent had many bvcs catch me on 105 fcr, but then i tele kinda randomly...

Against other classes, will be explained later. Yes, IM DODGING. For now :p
    In general, its like any other elemental character. If they use stack, or sorb, you're kinda up the creek. The speed bonus is noticeable. Unless you're on a crappy computer / connect. It's just an extra advantage over the 105fc sorcs, and the other casters.

Infinity.. eh, doesnt really remove many immunes in pvm, in pvp it depends on who you;re going against. Mercs die easily to splash damage, to short range ww's, stray spells + hammers.. and long range is rather useless with infinity. Insight on prayer, also adds that fast life replenish. It's just personal choice though, what you've found to be better for your purposes.

If you want pure damage, and vita/block, by all means, make 105fcr fire :p

7. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

why are you advocating the use of dupes/hacks?

8. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

Where did I advocate the use of hacks?
    or -cracks- as it were. You'd lump using 3rd party programs in with using duped items, in seriousness? Seek help.

I'm not saying omg, U need this itens! Build Fails without!!!!11. It's an option - it's on the realms, and pvp's about efficiency. I'm not advocating it in any way or form, i'm merely pointing out available options. By all means, use your legit 2/20/whatever craft Ammy. It's not my perogative to choose your gear for you, its a freaking example.

Think More, spam less.

9. chek

chek IncGamers Member

Hmm can a get some pro cons on the 105-120fcr vs 200? I know you want to dodge the specifics on dueling tactics and whatnot for now. But I just mean on average which build would do best in pubs in your opinion. I am just trying to weigh the gear sacrifices.

You state right of the bat you do not want to point out the best variant but I dont have time to make 3 builds and if you already have them why not just say whats the best in your opinion. If you have tested these varients and also 105fcr varients then your a person that has knowlege that can help people like myself out... Id rather not build 2 crappy 105fcr sorc's then figure out i need to build a 200fcr sorc and then figure out I used wrong gear. Currently I have only built tals sorc's(an ss max block and 35%spirit fcr varient) for PvM//mf and have no clue on PvP

Thanks for more info

Read more post less plz

10. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

mm.. I think the best variant would be a 200fc with eshield, and a +3es+3 chilling memory on switch, get BO;d from a friend / barb, for duels. If standalone, switch out for cta. It'll save so many points to go towards your eshield.
    My last decent 200fc fb was on East NL, "Softcore". The only bvcs she had problems against were ones who stacked + used hotspurs / dwarfs. Sorcs simply outclass barbs in terms of range + teleport, so block wouldn't really be an issue vs them.
    The only instance I can really think of where block would be remotely useful, is against smiters who continually charge you. Desynch on charge makes it a bit hard to judge where they're coming from - but namelocks can be broken by teleporting 2 screens away.

uh.. hm
    Basically,
    105 fcr has:
    More damage, mana, life, potential resists.

200fcr has:
    Speed, potentially more damage.

It mostly comes down to having the edge speedwise. It means you can cast faster, thus get more damage in. Even if it is only 7 frames vs 8, it's all the more. If you can overwhelm your opponents in terms of speed, its all the more harder to lock / catch up to you. While the 105 sorc does have more potential resist, it's not to say you wont have gg resists as well.

11. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

ioupainmax, it is absolutly allowed to mention the possible use of hacked/bugged items as choices, also discussion about such items, even if some people do not like to use them at all (me included).

What is totally forbidden though, is trading such items on the all the trading forums at diabloii.net

be more polite then not please, when voicing your opinion. what your pm box.

meli

12. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

sorry my bad, i didnt realise you were allowed to talk about them

in my defence, i wasn't lumping 3rd party programs with dupes i was merely referring to wiz gloves which are a hacked item (and then duped), albeit not very clearly

13. chek

chek IncGamers Member

Melianor: sorry for being rude althought I have seen worse things on the forum at least I said please :grin: thanks for not hitting me with the stick.

I didnt want the guide to be closed like blobs and others were because it included dupes. When I see dupes listed such as "imps" I just think of it as 30/10 triple res LEGIT boots mentally.

I dont like dupes myself. They poof and its annoying especially if you paid for it with alot of other poofing duped runes hehe.

Xenon[KoA]: Darn I am not sure what I would be more sucessful with maybe ill have to build both. Thank you for the help though! Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

14. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

PVP Strat
    While Firewall is only one point, and Meteor is timered, both are useful in addition to your fireball/bolt missile attacks. Fireball's best used for the additional damage, against opponents with enough life/resist as to not die to a short burst of firebolts. Or against characters with minions / mercs, for the splash damage. Firebolts are smaller, and harder to dodge. They also cost 2.5 mana, which's a lifesaver in some situations. Firewall's namelockable, without requiring you to chase. Meteor's a good defensive spell, for self-meteoring, or casting around you as a defensive method.

It is an elemental character, so +Max and sorb (hotspurs/noko/dwarf etc) will leave you with minimal damage.

VS Sorcis!
    Fireball/bolt
    They're generally of two types - teleing around the field spamming randomly, or lock/tele on top and spam. Against the former, tele behind them and try for a lock/tele. Don't stand in place and spam while you have a lock, as you'll be an easy target - Most of your shots will miss as well, if they're moving. If they're trying for a lock, keep your distance as they'll probably be able to tank your fbs to some extent. Unless they're just kinda.. stupid.. and it IS bnet -_-

Blizzard - If they sit in the same place and cast, tele off screen, and take them down with range. Or get them moving with meteor / firewall locks. But don't get tele on top, as any decent blizz sorc will either self-blizz if stationary, or have iceblast ready.

Nova/Charged Bolt - Limited range casters. If they tele on top, move. Better not to let them get close anyway. Meteor the field, or yourself - it'll drain their eshields if they pass through one - and the meteor fires do become invisible sometimes.

Lightning - Treat as the same as fireball / bolt, except with a stronger eshield.

VS Sins!
    Trappers - With clawblock, they will be able to withstand more damage than usual, but you have range on them. Stay out of range of mindblast, and just spam the field. A generally useful thing is to line up your cross on the automap with their cross, and (onscreen) fire your fb's along that line. I'm not really sure if that'll make sense, but s'ok. If they don't spread out their traps, ie, pack them all into 1 square, or string along a line, zigzag until you're on the opposite side of them (and the line of traps), and spam.

WW/Ghost/Hybrid - Don't get close enough that they'll be able to lock or dflight onto you. Clawblock will extend the duel, but getting impatient won't help. Open Wounds and Venom pass right through eshield. Watch out for the semi-invisible wake of fire traps as well. They aren't really damaging, but they can have a stun-like effect.

VS Druids!
    Windies - All will eventually try to tele on top of you, they have crap for range otherwise. These are generally easy duels, even with cyclone armor. Fireball against these, as most will have summons, and the splash damage will take them out, along with additional damage to the cyclone/druid as well. Crappy druids will have disregarded fhR, and you can just lock them.

Wereforms - Fortitude, eh.. Chilling armor gets annoying, but if they're bound by running, you can self-meteor or meteor the field. If they're just chasing after you with a lock, or without, try meteoring in front of you so that by the time they get there it'll land on their heads. Don't tele on top, as there will be no block on your part, and fury's speed to consider.

VS Barbs!
    Anything besides BVC - Keep outta range of them, and fire. Crappy ones can be fhr locked with ease, Meteor is also useful. If they start running to town, lock with firewall as it casts underneath them.

BVC - These will be one of your main rivals. They're also the most likely to abuse hotspurs + sorb, as their gear should allow for that freedom. Stay out of range of a namelock, and be careful of leap's stun radius. You should have enough fhr that you'll be able to just tele away from the leap stun though. Meteor'ing the field, or underneath you will help, but don't attempt it if they're practically on top of you. You have superior mana, and tele speed, so it shouldn't be a problem. If anything, whoever gets tired first will determine the outcome, if spur'd.

VS Palas!
    Yay, hammerdins - Kind of predictable though. Self meteor, wait for them to tele on top, tele away and spam. If they get a namelock, tele 2 screens away to break it, fball them until they move/die, rinse and repeat. They're also likely to sorb/stack as well though, and will have superior life >_<

Yay! Desynch hammerdins - Annoying. Defensive play will be just as annoying to them though. Keep your distance, as wherever you're liable to tele on top of them, will not be where they truly are, and you'll get hammered. Don't chase them, directly behind, but strafe parallel to them. If they try and corner you in between a mass of hammerfields, tele backwards and outside the field before they get a chance to close it. Don't stay put though, even if in a pile of meteors.

Smiters! - Most are trash players with a grief, who think they're godly. Omg! I can afford a grief! Smitin' time! They die easily. If charge locked, 2 screen tele again, otherwise meteor + Spam. If they're solid builds, cast and tele. They'll have the potential for superior life + resists as well, and desynch will make it hard to track them.

VS Zons!
    Bowas - Easy enough. Multiple ways of killing these, and you should not lose to one unless naked - and even then... Meteor'ing the field, to keep them moving, or locking firewall are effective. Or just firebolt/ball. Bolt takes less mana though - more for your eshield in the event that one or two strays do hit.

CS - If FC, meh, find a house or wall that blocks their line of vision, and stay behind it until you get a clear shot, or until they're otherwise distracted. If using hoto, your oaksage may be enough to clear you 1CS's worth of time. FC zons for the most part, ignore resists/fhr and concentrate on pure damage. Easy once locked, easier once naked :)

If not FC, just keep your distance and meteor/fB.

VS Necs!
    Bone - Pure bone, treat like another sorc. Teeth spam is weak, but it can stun you if you're not careful. Some will try to tele on top, some will spam randomly. Nothin' really different about them. If you have multiple persistent spirits on you, tele into a house, or behind a solid bush / wall to clear them.

Bone/Summon, or Summon - Fireball ftw. Splash damage will wipe those stacked minions in a heartbeat. Most aren't smart enough, or are just too lazy to alter their revives based on your elemental attack type. If they do stack fire immunes, Grab a conv merc and hope :s. I'm not sure if the splash damage passes through immunes or not - someone will have to clarify this for me.

Poison Necs - ezpz. Bone necs minus the range. The poison will drain you quickly though. Antidote pots are your friend. If playing in pubs, careful of other sorcis additionally, since the lower res curse weakens you towards them as well.

Pretty much it. It may seem rather general, but that's all I can really offer since the bulk of it should come as natural instinct after playing your character for a while.

15. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

After re reading the pvp stuff... it's kinda repetitive. Basically:

If it's short ranged, and it can hurt you, stay away. If its not, go close for the kill.

Dunno. It seems kinda incomplete still, but not sure what else to add :undecided:

16. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

I need to make a 200fcr before I can do anything... =O

17. arcticknight

arcticknight IncGamers Member

Xenon- You left out Orb sorcs all together (you cleared it up in the next post though)

18. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

oh.. i did :x

Orb's like blizzard too, in that you shouldn't chase after orb sorcs, directly. Invisi orbs ftL. They're really limited by their range as well.

19. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Wizgloves are hacked items. :/ And thus i won't consider them for a gm 200 fcr sorc. :laugh:

20. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

Duped, not hacked.... they were legit at some point. =/