Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

200 Students Cheating on a Mid-Term at UCF Business School

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TurbulentTurtle, Nov 11, 2010.

1. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle Diabloii.Net Member

Here's the video of the prof addressing the class on the matter:

Pretty heavy stuff yo.

Honestly, I'm siding with the prof on this one, even if it may be a complete bluff that he used his advanced statistical analysis to pinpoint about a third of the class who may have had a part with the cheating. It's a pretty good tactic on getting the cheaters to identify themselves and 'fess up.

I feel a bit of sympathy for the students who did study and performed well on the test, because the new test they have to do is completely untested, the people who wrote it don't know which questions test well and which ones work in a test setting, so the make-up test could be either really difficult, or easier than the original, or the difficulty level could stay the same.
    But if you studied for the first test, you're damn sure going to study for the second one, so in the end, those students who were honest the first time around have more studying time and could potentially do better.

What sucks is the promise of the cheaters who confessed not having any negative repercussions. I think that they should get away with a slap on the wrist at the very least, that 4 hour ethics course is garbage compared to what kind of trouble some students get in for breaching the code of academic integrity.
    I think a mark on their transcript, or maybe even getting a zero as their midterm mark would be something that should be done. This is obviously a huge deal and sets the university name back quite a bit.
    So if you're one of the honest students, you're essentially getting put in the same group with the other cheaters, and if applying for a job, the employer's not going to see the difference, and will just apply this incident for everyone who graduated in that year.

2. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

The poll is whack...

I'm of a zero-tolerance mindset about cheating. Not as in they should get a zero for the exam - but rather a zero for the whole semester. It's yet another reason that collegiate degrees are often barely worth the paper they're printed on.

I narc'ed on a fellow student cheating during my Econ 103 class - I poured my blood, sweat, and tears into that class (the blood due to my miserable math skill set), while some frat boah was shuffling a spiral-bound notebook between his feet and reading his answers off it. I wanted the little mother-fecker to eat a hearty plateful of "Fail".

3. nurman

nurman Diabloii.Net Member

Cheating in exams is so 80's

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

If it's about something which appears on the final certificate, a "barely passed" might be the worse punishment. It's permanent while a failed exam could be repeated (except it's a repeated fail).

5. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Diabloii.Net Member

hellz yes! the weekend is here! im not going to do anything but rest and chill out. :grin:

6. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

If he knows who cheated and it's like 200 people why is he making all 600 repeat the test?

and Cheating = expulsion

7. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Devious plan to detect cheaters identified.
    Cheater identified.

------------------

**** cheaters. Seriously. As a professional engineer who actually worked for my degree, I have to deal with idiots like this at work from time to time. You can tell who they are quite easily, since they have no clue what they are doing and have a work ethic approaching non-existent.

I'm happy to say my company has managed to rid itself of the ones I've known of eventually, even though it takes seemingly forever to get through all the legal red tape.

Hopefully, the asshat in the above quote has his name inextricably linked to that dumbass statement he made, such that when potential employers go digging, it's the first thing that pops up. Have fun finding a job, slacker.

EDIT:

One oddity here: Why was the professor using questions from a test bank? Do they not pay him enough to write his own test questions? What % of the students who used the questions as a study guide knew that the same questions were going to be on the test, instead of just assuming it was a study guide?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  8. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

If You Don't Go To College knowing how to study and wanting to learn more and knowing how false tests screw things up, if your Caught your a idiot.

Know the 11th Commandment.

9. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle Diabloii.Net Member

He can't say with 100% certainty that all the people on the list are cheaters, but he can say that if you cheated you're probably on the list.
    Like I said, it might be a bluff to just get the cheaters to come forward and identify themselves.

Yeah that part kinda threw me off too. If he's only using questions from a test bank, it would be fairly easy to get a hold of something like that just by looking it up online.
    A fair bit of students generally look for test banks to study from, and not because they expect the exact questions to be on the exam. So the fact that the prof uses questions from a test bank for his midterms and finals is a bit questionable, especially considering that he is teaching a senior's course, shouldn't he just write up his own questions for the exam?

Also funny you should mention the pro-cheater Konstantin Ravvin dude, because he's pretty much screwed for any kind of employment now if the employer for a job he's interviewing for decides to Google up his name.
    One of the many hits that are going to show up are him in an article condoning cheating and saying it's a part of school.

10. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned Diabloii.Net Member

If I'm interpreting this correctly, the students landed themselves a copy of the test in advance, and made good use of it. Big deal. If that opportunity was presented to me (obviously the narc was unforseen), I would take it as well.

I don't really see this issue as a crisis of moral integrity. 200 or more human beings were presented an excellent opportunity to get ahead in life with no negative consequences (well I suppose you could say those without a copy were screwed because they had to "work for it", but hey, being resourceful and having connections is part of life too). They took the opportunity, someone was either guilt-ridden or bitter that (s)he did not get a copy, and the cheaters got screwed in the process. If anything, I feel bad for the students.

Ravvin, imho, did give a realistic answer. Lots of cheating happens in education. I don't have any statistics or peer-reviewed articles to support that claim, but it's pretty obvious.

Also, the fact that the students could even get their hands on a copy of the question bank reflects a complete failure on behalf of the course/professor/course co-ordinator/department/etc. Half the blame should go on them.

Exactly. It's a complete bluff.

tl;dr - If an opportunity presents for you to get ahead of life with seemingly no risks to yourself or others, it's probably a good idea to take it, and in this case, even at the cost of your so called "academic integrity". The professor, while nice in giving those who cheated a second chance, handled the situation very poorly overall. I don't know, maybe I've just been tainted as a pre-med student.

11. Risingred

Risingred Diabloii.Net Member

This precisely. But I'm a bit more hardcore.
    I caught a student plagiarizing in a class in my freshman year (English major). A creative writing class.
    I brought it to the teacher's attention and he gave him a zero for the paper and was "disappointed". I was also disappointed, so I went to the Dean and he got expelled after having to attend a committee. I was livid.

I know it's kind of high-horse and sanctimonious, but if I catch someone plagiarizing in the professional world I blacklist them as much as possible.

I worked my *** off for every grade I got, and I continue to do so, and I will continue to do so until I'm finally done with school. I cannot abide a schmuck within my academic presence. I cannot abide a schmuck, particularly, in the realm of writing.

12. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Diabloii.Net Member

I'm a creative writing major. HOW IN THE WILD HELL DO YOU PLAGIARIZE?! if you are THAT bad to have to rip off another author's work you should NOT be a CW major. oh, that makes me mad too! you're a ****ing CW major!! REALLY????

13. Risingred

Risingred Diabloii.Net Member

No, content editing, but I take a lot of classes on writing and I also write freelance (creative, technical, and non-fiction). I got nominated for a writing award last week. :jig:
    I feel that if you are useless as a writer, then you are useless as an editor, so that is a skillset I tend to keep sharply honed.

This individual in question had copied, believe it or not, Metal Gear Solid. He changed names but he even took dialogue straight out of the game. Funny enough, I took an art class and one of the paintings that one of the students did was a thinly-veiled carbon-copy of Solid Snake in this weird asian background. I was flabbergasted. Apparently MGS is ripe for parody?

I've ratted out two others, as well. One guy had to do a reading response, I forget which book, but we did it in a forum. His entire post was bits from, I kid you not, George Carlin. The third was a kid who copied the plot and narrative devices word-for-word from a Sherlock Holmes story, but since he did it in a modernized setting, he claimed it as creative commons but that was quickly dismissed. I forget the title of the story, but it is the one where a woman agrees (under very odd circumstances) to take a job as a nanny for this family and she is basically acting as a body-double for the couple's missing daughter.

14. jmervyn

That's actually pretty hilarious.

When I was working on my MS degree at University of Phoenix, I caught one of the instructors. Now, for those who aren't familiar with UoP, it might be tempting to dismiss it as a degree mill but it is really a granddaddy of distance learning - the instructors are generally professionals rather than academics and are often better in "class" than academics.

This guy was foreign (Indian?) and didn't have decent English syntax in class, so when his lectures were all but letter-perfect <AND> were not precisely on-topic, I smelled a rat. I Googled some of his paragraph lines, and found that the guy was lifting whole paragraphs from others' online works and then making copypasta (there's a lot of writing on IT and project planning).

15. pancakeman

pancakeman Diabloii.Net Member

I think my favorite part is how they are in business school. Sure that-one-dude, everyone cheats in college, and maybe in the real world. But you know what happens when you see some easy money to be gained in the business sector, so you just cheat a little and take it? You wind up convicted of fraud, larsony, embezzlement, or God knows what else, and the next thing you know you're in a cell in Mississippi being pounded by some guy named Midnight.

It's curious I'd see this now, I was just reading a rather lengthy essay from an anonymous person who, in the most basic terms, cheats for students for a living. You contact him, and he writes whatever you need, be it a 5 page reading response or, in one case, a 75-page business ethics thesis. Yes, business ethics. I'll see if I can find the link.

PS: MGS? Honestly? I've seen better dramatic dialogue at a grocery store checkout.
    EDIT: Found it!

16. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Great link; I'm posting that one. =)

17. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

... if you aren't good enough at it.

Cheating and getting caught are two entirely different things.

18. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich Diabloii.Net Member

:thumbup:
    I'm not standing up for what the students did, but one of the things I teach all the employees who work for me is...
    "This isn't school. If you see someone doing something, or learn a way to do something that is effective/better, COPY IT... and let me know so I can use it too."

19. jmervyn

That's not at all what the issue is about, though. Software development would still be in the bit-twiddling ASCII realm if not for copying software and program methods; heck, it's the entire concept behind Open Source methods. You're supposed to attribute those you steal from, or at least share.

However, in a collegiate environment, you're supposed to be absorbing while regurgitating, and not necessarily regurgitate by rote/exactly. Many including myself doubt the effectiveness of this traditional sort of "Sage on a Stage" method, as it is not only indoctrination-prone but tends to simply be a self-rewarding cycle for tenured instructors. But it's all that many disciplines have; not every Wummins' Studies teacher has the capability (much less the wit) to turn her curricula into an evaluative field exercise, as engineering or economic disciplines can and do.

20. Obdob

Obdob Diabloii.Net Member

Supposedly some of those 200 students may not have known they were cheating. Through the grapevine, I heard an email was sent out titled something along the lines of, 'Study Guide.' It contained many questions with their answers. From this pool of questions about 1/4 were put on the test.
    This is all word-of-mouth from a student who knows a student in that class, so it could be wrong.
    If this is the case though, I feel like it was just a study guide. But it may have only been given to ~200 students, which doesn't seem right.