Durability: 33 of 33
Required Level: 75
Required Strength: 107
Required Dexterity: 81
Fingerprint: 0x7b11f2a8
Item Level: 87
Version: Expansion 1.10+
33% Chance to cast level 1 Decrepify on striking
240% Enhanced Damage ---------------> Perfect.
Ignore Target's Defense
Adds 4 - 44 Cold Damage Over 2 Secs (38 Frames)
15% Life stolen per hit ------------------> Perfect.
33% Deadly Strike
Requirements -25%
Ethereal ----------------------------------> YES!
U Jelly?

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
For the upcoming MFO and MF/RF warm-up tourneys, I was recently looking for Pit maps on both my P7/P8 area runners and Pit Berserker. After finding a nice Necro map, at last I finally found a truly nice map for the Barb that I wanted to share. I know it's not an item, but I couldn't think of a better place to post this. :p Recorded a couple of runs in which I am screwing up several times (still getting used to both the map and the build since I haven't played him in over a year before picking him back up a few days ago). Even so it delivers a boss pack every ~4.8 seconds:

In this session 64 packs in 477 seconds of running, run times just under 1 minute (8 runs in 7m57s), 8.0 bosses per run. When accounting for 54% hork this results in ~4.83 seconds per boss kill/successful hork. I'm not doing it justice yet and I'm confident it can be run faster/more efficiently. But all the more I thought this map was worth sharing.

Layout and spawn locations:
1_Pit-Map.jpg
Color code: Red = spawns almost always; yellow = spawns frequently; green = spawns rarely.

I only check the two green spots in the upper right if the entrance area had 2 or fewer bosses, since in that case they seem to "move" there periodically.

The whole upper east area of level 1 never has any boss packs. (!)

Level 2 is above average as well. Most of the time it spawns 3 packs, while both 4 and 2 happen frequently (with 2 probably being a tiny bit more common than 4).

Toon is standard Pitzerker, in spoiler if interested:
MF: 765% on kill, 646% on hork

Shako 'Cham'
Enigma MP
Craft amulet +1 Barb, 10 FCR, 16 MF
Grief PB (36/383)
6x Ist PB
40 MF Chance Guards
30 MF/73 AR Nagel
30 MF/72 AR Nagel
50 MF War Traveler
Goldwarp (upped)

Switch: Suicide Branch 'Ist', Wizardspike 'Ist'
Inventory: 40 MF Gheed's, mix of MF SCs (plain, fine, iron), ID tome (preferred over slightly higher MF)

Merc: Insight eth GT, CoH, Andy's (not socketed, oops :rolleyes:)

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member
That does look like a very nice map, if the upper right corner truly never spawns a single boss it seems incredibly good as it effectively shrinks your map even further. I was very impressed by the boss density in the first few runs, and if your level 2 is as good as you say (and I don't doubt it, as there was a 4 spawn in those eight runs too), it could go down as one of the all time great Pit maps. Even the entrance location is pretty favorable, which is a detail that's easy to overlook but does add up for sure.

I'd be curious to know what the long-term boss pack average is, while doing normal efficient runs, if you end up counting accurately for many many runs without selection bias etc. That data doesn't exist for many maps as far as I know, but this looks like a very good one and it'd be interesting to compare.

The character and gameplay looks very solid too, apart from a few hiccups with the weapon switching. In that one spot where you got stuck for a long time with a dual boss spawn (run 6ish maybe) and didn't make progress for a while and almost died, I find that it's necessary to Howl more when you realize you're not reaching the bosses and are put into hit recovery too much. Teleporting to re-position yourself is usually also worthwhile I think, even though it loses some time.

Overall very nice job!

Edited to add: You lose style points for using upped Goldwrap but not upped Chance Guards or War Traveler though! ;) Also, you can use MF charms with 3 less MF% in total while not losing out on anything, if you have alternatives with better prefixes.

Last edited:

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
@Fabian Thanks, yeah I barely min-maxed him yet tbh. I guess I should start with IAS in a better Andy's for Merc. :rolleyes: For MFO I'll likely ditch the ID tome also, but in any case I'll go through my MF charms again and check MF breakpoints when finalizing his MFO setup. Also to make the most of the map I'll probably have to level him a bit, since unfortunately I found it on a relatively low level Barb (91 at the moment)... not ideal given this guy warmly welcomes any AR, stat and skill points he can get.

In terms of long-term data, I don't think I'll e.g. count every boss pack for the whole MFO tbh... But I'll try to at least record and analyze a few sessions periodically, so hopefully I can provide more data in time. Curious as to how efficiency increases once I'm more familiar with this map and worked on ironing out those misclicks. ;)

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member
I've counted boss packs seriously for 275 runs on my map I think, so I certainly wouldn't expect an entire MFO's worth of writing down numbers! But a few hundred un-biased data points is still a pretty interesting indicator, you get a feel for the "true" average relatively quickly.

Leveling will surely help with chance to hit, which seems like the character's biggest issue. Good luck in the MFO, it's a nice character!

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
When counting boss packs, you could use AutoHotKey and an extra key (that you hit for each bosspack kill) to do so if you want... I was planning to do this 5 years ago but got lazy. There may be other easy alternatives where you hotkey specific values for each floor or each run, so you don't have to write them down...
Either way, your efficiency will be very slightly smaller per-run but this is realistic for long-term running, anyway. It's more important to get the boss counts down even if it makes your runs less efficient!

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
Or, once you get the boss counts down, you can focus on max efficiency while knowing exactly how efficient you are ;)

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
@pharphis Interesting idea, though I'm running on Mac and it seems there's nothing similar to AutoHotKey...

@ffs - There's a great thread for this: https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/spf-hall-of-records.851922/. There's also the Anything Goes D2 thread for miscellaneous topics. Nice compact map though- I have never found any Pit map near that small.
Hm I saw several maps that size so I felt it's not that uncommon, it's just that small maps usually have much worse density. I've checked out the records thread a couple of times in the past and might revisit it if I manage some noteworthy numbers. ;) Just posted this here because I considered the map itself a special "find". As for actual items, couple of Sunday evening runs netted a second eth Titan's (again found on untwinked 99er Necro, courtesy of Pindle). Worse roll than previous one but nice to have found two of those now. :)

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 21.54.19.png

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member
Those runs are already comfortably in third place in the Hall of Records, even before more levels and getting used to the map etc. So I'd definitely call them noteworthy :) Checking that thread out earlier today, I noticed it's the two year anniversary of Gripphon's second place score, so I'd say it would be nice with a new result in there soon!

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
There's almost certainly something similar, and probably something similar that's free, too. I didn't look closely but this was one of the first results on google, so maybe try some of those? I would just go with whichever is the easiest option. Could probably look up something like
"Progam_Name_Here counting number of key presses for distinct keys" to get an idea. Sometimes you can get very different results by changing the keywords used since different domains use different terminology.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/153930/autohotkey-equivalent-for-os-x

Reactions: ffs

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
I have no idea what I googled while half asleep yesterday but seems you're right. :) Will check it out and see if there's a convenient way to set up something like that.

Albatross

Diabloii.Net Member
Since we're talking about counting packs, I'm never sure how to count champions since they don't drop as good as boss monsters.

Last time I rerolled my AT map, I think I was dividing their number by 3.

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member
The standard has always been to count them as a regular boss pack and not worry that it's a Champion pack.

It depends a bit on what you're after when counting. In most cases, I think people count boss packs because they're interested in the long term boss density of their map. In that case, counting champions the same as bosses is correct, as what you're interested in is the long term number of spawns, and whether it happened to be Unique or Champion that particular time doesn't matter for long term averages. So you would count a Champion pack of 2 as one boss pack, a Champion pack of 3 as one boss pack, and a Champion pack of 4 as one boss pack in that case. They impact that particular run differently, but the impact on the long run is the same.

If you're instead interested in knowing what chance you have of finding a particular item (whether short term or long term), it can make sense to adjust for Champions' and Uniques' different drop probabilities, depending on how accurate you want to be. A boss drops a unique item 2.535 times more often than a Champion does, but a Champion group has between 2 and 4 monsters, with 3 being the average, so then it can make sense to consider a Champion group as being worth 1.18 boss groups on average (3*1/2.535 = 1.183)

The last paragraph is probably overkill for most purposes though, and I included it for completeness more than anything else. I'd just count a Champion pack like a boss pack unless you have some specific reason not to.

maareek

Diabloii.Net Member
Did about 200 AT runs over the past few days. Best drop was definitely a Perfect Amethyst from a gem shrine while having three other non-amethyst flawlesses in my inventory (you pick: either I like to live dangerously, or I'm awful. Potentially both.)

Other highlights:

Code:
Jade Small Charm of Vita
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 39
Unidentified
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: **
Fingerprint: 0xa841f2cf
+18 to Life
Poison Resist +9%

War Traveler
Battle Boots
Defense: 137
Durability: 10 of 48
Kick Damage: 37 to 64
Required Strength: 95
Required Level: 42
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0x4814cbc
+10 to Strength
+10 to Vitality
+186% Enhanced Defense
+15 to Minimum Damage
+25 to Maximum Damage
+30 Maximum Durability
Attacker Takes Damage of 9
46% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
25% Faster Run/Walk
40% Slower Stamina Drain

Ondal's Wisdom
Elder Staff
Two-Hand Damage: 80 to 93
Durability: 23 of 35
Required Dexterity: 37
Required Strength: 44
Required Level: 66
Staff Class - Normal Attack Speed
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0x77f9f30f
+44 to Energy
+497 Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 8
+5% to Experience Gained
45% Faster Cast Rate
150% Damage to Undead
+2 to All Skill Levels

Fiery Small Charm of Burning <--it's so symmetrical!
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 24
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0x354723d
Adds 5-10 fire damage

Trang-Oul's Girth
Troll Belt
Defense: 141
Durability: 16 of 18
Required Strength: 91
Required Level: 62
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0xc4bb3b8e
+66 to Life
+39 to Mana
+30 to Maximum Stamina
+81 Defense
Replenish Life +5
Requirements -40%
Cannot Be Frozen

***Partial Set Item Bonuses***
Cold Resist +40%

Havoc Whorl
Ring
Required Level: 10
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0x449bb6aa
+13 to Mana
+60 to Attack Rating
31% Extra Gold from Monsters
13% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+1 to Light Radius
10% Faster Cast Rate

Telling of Beads
Amulet
Required Level: 30
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0x46e914d3
Cold Resist +18%
Poison Resist +49%
Attacker Takes Damage of 8
+1 to All Skill Levels

Viper Eye
Ring
Required Level: 66
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0xb5d59be0
+18 to Strength
+62 to Mana
Magic Damage Reduced by 1
Fire Resist +8%
Lightning Resist +28%
Cold Resist +8%
Poison Resist +8%
Adds 1-3 fire damage

The Hand of Broc
Leather Gloves
Defense: 14
Durability: 9 of 12
Required Level: 5
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0xb8467ca3
+20 to Mana
+17% Enhanced Defense
+10 Defense
Poison Resist +10%
3% Life stolen per hit
3% Mana stolen per hit

Death's Guard
Sash
Defense: 22
Durability: 11 of 12
Required Level: 6
Unidentified
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0xba3865fb
+20 Defense
Cannot Be Frozen

All Resistances +15
As for counting bosspacks, if you can, recording your runs makes it far, far, far easier. Also gives you the chance to analyze other facets of your running that are tougher to pick up on while actually running. When I did a test run for a Hall of Records run in AT, I just recorded the whole thing so I could focus fully and make sure my counting was on-point.

On a related note, and since it was brought up, the Hall of Records really never got the love it could have. It really was intended as a place for people to put their personal bests and try to improve on them, find advice or give it, and generally enjoy the grind a little more. Instead it turned into "I don't have Gripfficiency so I won't bother." which is sad. So, to anyone, don't feel your times "aren't good enough" to post, whatever they are, they belong there, especially if you want to keep track of them.

maareek

Diabloii.Net Member
maareek,

Fabfficiency? bro, I'm hurt.
A mortal might be able to reach grip level. Nobody can touch the 'nus.

4,000 posts? Sounds like time to celebrate! It's July, is Vintage Cube up? If so, you should draft it. If not, you should draft it.

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member
Vintage cube ended three days ago. During the 3ish weeks it was up, I went 119-48 and won 23 of the 70 drafts I played. So it was the worst cube season I've had in several years (with a reasonable sample size), but still over 71% winrate at least in the end :cool:

Back at it when Legacy cube returns!

Status
Not open for further replies.