Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2 very unrelated questions :)

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by skov, Feb 22, 2004.

1. skov

skov IncGamers Member

2 very unrelated questions :)

First:

Everybody seems to make their Heart of the Oak in a flail. Why not use a war hammer instead? Flail has str req 41 and dex req 35 whereas war hammer only has str req 53. The minimum str req anyone could get by with would be 50 from shako or arachnid mesh so the extra 3 (and only 1 if using shako) from HotO in a war hammer seems negligible compared to a dex req of 35. A typical caster would have no dex reqs on other items so that's more or less 20 extra dex (again 18 with shako) needed.

Am I missing something obvious to everybody else? :)

Second:

I upgraded my duriels shell to a great hauberk but the def seems lower than it should be:

My Duriels Case has 178% ED and +115 def from my lvl. That gives 676 since armours with +%ED always has max'ed def and cuirass' max i 202. 202*2,78+115 = 676. A great hauberk's max on the other hand is 501 so that should give 501*2,78 + 115 = 1508. But it only ended up having 1249, which implies that the great hauberk counts as having only around 400 def.

Can anybody enlighten my to why that is?

2. SCaVeNGeR

SCaVeNGeR IncGamers Member

Well,

As for the Duriel's Shell, if you upgrade an armor the base defense of the armor gets reset, so if your armor had perfect defense before it could get lower if you upgrade it. At least I think, cuz that seems to be the only explaination. Ddn't know about the +%ED armors having maxed base ... :)

As for Hoto, i have no clue, but Flail just does look better in my opinion ;)

SCaVeNGeR

3. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

HotO won't work in a War Hammer as the game considers it to be 'Hammer class' rather than Mace class. So the only one-handed weapons it will work in are Flails and their exceptional/elite variants.

+ED% on an armour grants it max defence + 1, but when it's upgraded it loses this ability and the defence value is randomly generated from within the normal range.

4. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

The base defense for a Great Hauberk is 395-501. Duriel's Shell spawns with 160-200% Enhanced Defense. It also adds 1.25 defense per character level, rounding down.

So, from level 1 to 99, worst base defense to perfect base defense, lowest ED to highest ED, an upgraded Duriel's Shell can have anywhere from 1028 to 1626 defense.

5. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

I thought that only the base defense value was randomly generated. Are you saying that the ed% is randomly generated? Because from all I've seen that's not correct.

--fatty

6. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

I meant base defence - the ED is a mod on the item and thus remains unchanged when the recipe is used.

7. skov

skov IncGamers Member

Thank you - that explains everything. Actually you have a pleasant habit of always having the precisely correct answer for my forum questions :)

8. Slaïne

Slaïne IncGamers Member

In a way there's a dex req on your shield---at least if you want to be able to block;)

9. .EYRIS.ONE.

.EYRIS.ONE. IncGamers Member

yeah ( agrees with above ) why wouldn't a typical caster not hav at the least 35 dex x_O

peace.

10. skov

skov IncGamers Member

If you decide that blocking isnt worth the point investment in dex you won't have any dex req's as a caster (assuming a setup like: Harle, Tal amu, lidless, skullder/duriels case/vipermagi, war traveler frost, 2xsoj and arachnid). Many will probably use skullder + raven and that more or less eliminates the problem, but it's still a consideration that one of your rings is tied up. If you used war hammer you would have perfect freedom regarding items and only use af few stat points instead - or even better just a charm. If you use war travelers there's no extra stat reqs at all.

So I just wondered why ppl had chosen flail over war hammer when it seemed to be *slightly* worse.

11. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

Well, I don't know about you, but I've yet to make a Sorc who doesn't have an Ali Baba on switch, and the Dex requirement on it is more than 35 IIRC, thus making the (cooler looking) flail the weapon of choice for HotO.

This may not apply to those of you who don't mf enough.