Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2 handed concentrate barb vs 1 hand questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by hackedagainanda, Aug 6, 2017.

1. hackedagainanda

hackedagainanda Diabloii.Net Member

I have a fairly decent Doom GPA and a Ebeastz.

I'm playing SC and have a decent amount of items. I was wondering do you think I would miss the blocking and extra defense/resists from a shield?

Also was wondering what kind of Merc would benefit a conc barb the most?

2. Burgomaster3

Burgomaster3 Diabloii.Net Member

I have no first hand experience with Conc Barbs, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but here's my two cents:

With two handers, your fpa would cap at 10 frames. With one hander max fpa is 9 frames.

With Doom GPA, you would need whopping 150 IAS from other gear to reach 10 fpa breakpoint, which is obviously bit of a problem. That's why you'd be better off with Act 1 merc using Faith, that would bring the IAS needed from gear to the very reasonable 20. Although then you'd need to come up with some solution against Physical Immunes, since no Decrepify from Reaper's Toll, but point in Berserk is probably enough. Lacerator on switch, perhaps?

With Beast BA you would need 45 IAS from gear, which is a bit of an awkward number, but HLW/LoH/jewel in hat will do it. Better solution would be to have Beast in the off-hand, and some higher-damage Axe like Grief or Oath, or possibly BotD in the main hand. That would bring IAS needed from gear to 15 (lowest Grief) or none (Oath/BotD), so it offers a lot of flexibility, although melee builds tend to always have pretty standard gear. Merc Act 2 Might with Reaper's Toll, as per usual with the physical damage builds.

Safest route could probably be Grief PB and Stormshield, but that might be overkill for SC. Most of the Barbs I've played have been either dual-wielders or 2-handers, and as long as you keep leeching, you're pretty safe. Resists you should be able to get somewhat easily from other gear and charms, especially if you plan to go with something like Fortitude as an armor. If Enigma, dual Wizardspikes on teleswitch would do the trick.

For undead-heavy places, Azurewrath or Lawbringer are also good choices for beneficial off-hand weapons for sword users, since the Sanctuary aura breaks Physical immunity of undeads.

Edit. Whoops, forgot Beast had 40% IAS, so with Beast in main hand you only need 5 EIAS. Again, with grain of salt ;)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    drmalawi likes this.
  3. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

Resists are less of a problem for a barb and so is the blocking for a conc barb (lower chance to get hit in the first place).

I think it's a matter of style, you have 2 main options here, you can try and maximize the damage output (might merc, reaper toll/lawbringer as off-hand weapon....) or you can go with the theme and get your deffence as high as possible (shield, defiance merc, walking..... ).

Since it's a 'single attack' char maybe Crescent Moon RW will be a better choice for merc to speed things up a bit.

4. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Stormlash (and the slower Shaeffers Hammer) could also be good one handed options to get some kind of AoE

I prefer two handed concentrators, with might/reapers merc. The damage from Concentration skill is pretty low in the first place compared to Berserk (the most popular choice of compat skill for one-handed Barbs)

Since you got Doom, you get that extra protection from the HF aura anyway, so going with the high defence theme would not be an attractive choice of mine - in particular while playing SC

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I'm using my conc barb for Travincal, using a Grief phaseblade and a Stormshield. I'm not using Arreat's BTW, but Guillaume's, for the extra CB. There's no merc involved, as he would die all the time anyway and the barb is killing the Council safely at /p3 himself.