Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2-handed Conc Executioner

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Trapin', Sep 8, 2017.

1. Trapin'

Trapin' Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I didn't see anything about this build in the FAQ or build section so I figured i'd make a post.
    I like the idea of a point, click, kill type of character. Focusing just on damage/defense appeals to me. So I looked around for builds, but not too many people have any for what I came across is called an Executioner Barb. http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Executioner_(Build)
    Have any of you guys built one of these before?
    Are they viable for Hardcore PvM?

2. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

As a build, it should be extremely viable. So much depends on play style, though, especially when playing Hardcore. If you make one, please post your progress - it sounds like a fun and interesting project! What weapon are you thinking about using?

3. Trapin'

I played untwinked so whatever weapon i can find! I would prefer high damage 2 handed polearm/spear if i can find one :)

4. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Thinking about what weapons tend to drop early, you're likely to run into a Bonesnap pretty early. Great for leveling, with BIG Crushing Blow. You can even upgrade it later, so it could get you through Nightmare.

sanguillen likes this.
  5. Trapin'

Do you guys think spear mastery or polearm mastery would be best? It seems like they are similar, but a war pike is the highest avg dmg and a few spears have some nice crushing blow stats. The steel pillar looks great!
    What do you guys think?

6. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I'd wait until you found an end game weapon, and place mastery points then. (Unless you plan on re-speccing.) It would be horrible to dump points in Sword Mastery, for example, and then have a Tomb Reaver or Reaper's Toll drop.

7. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Just wait to put points into mastery until you get a good end-game weapon or do as Noodle said, use a respec.

Good runewords for 2H weapons that are easy to make is Insight and Obedience (you need a 5sock base for this and grind Hell countess for the Fal rune),these are ladder only runewords so you need a mod for those.
    Honor is good too, but you need a 5 socket base weapon.
    Black could be good, but only 2H weapon it fits into are Maul and Great Maul (and their exceptional and Elite version)
    Crescent moon is fine too, but you need to grind Hell countess a bit for that Um rune...
    Passion, nice, you need a Lem rune so again grind Hell countess a few times..

What I did when I made my first untwinked Patriarch Concentrator was to run Nightmare Diablo with some magic Find and players 3 setting which gave me a Bonesnap. I then upgraded it to exceptional base item in the cube (1 Ral Rune + 1 Sol Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald )

Lawbringer can be good to have on switch for casting decrypify (for saftey and handling physical immunes) but yeah you need a Lem for this one too.

There are physical immunes in the Tower if you decide to do Countess runs. Its good to have whirlwind for the tower and later on also the arcane sanctuary and the maggot lair in order to pass trough physical immues.

8. RedRockRun

RedRockRun Diabloii.Net Member

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  9. drmalawi

Brainhew is cool you can upgrade it. Try to play atleast players 5. I sent you link to RWM on message

10. RedRockRun

Thanks for that PM by the way!
    I've already upgraded Brainhew once, but it'll be a long while I think before I can upgrade it to elite.
    Concerning armor I'm a bit wary about replacing Rockfleece because of all that defense, but I certainly need more offense or at least some more life leech. That 4% isn't cutting it even though the mana leech is wonderful. Right now I don't need as much mana leech and would gladly sacrifice most of it for something more useful like CB, DS, OW, etc. or just more base damage. As it stands Brainhew is dishing out more damage than anything else I'm seeing - unless the stat screen is lying to me again. What I would give for a mod that dissects the numbers that go into actual damage into base, extra, enhanced, and elemental.

Without having to crunch all the numbers myself I want to know exactly what is factoring into my damage output and where it's coming from e.g. skills, item upgrades, jewels/runes/gems, charms (furthermore how much of each kind of elemental damage). The same goes for defense which needs accurate information to begin with. There's no way a 95% chance to hit is sequentially missing 3+ times. I get the feeling that enemy stats aren't taken into account at all by the lying character screen.

11. drmalawi

ah did not notice that it was Gothic Axe, I just say brainhew. Sorry about that.

Where in NM are you? Offence is defense for a Barb. You get diminishing returns in defense. Try get a 4 sock war club and make Black for that nice crushing blow. Otherwise just get the Runeword mod working and make an Inisight. Try get an exceptional polearm, Bill is good, and you might want to reroll to get high critical strike on it.

you can miss due to being out of range too. Axes have midrange. Polearms have bigger range.

Concentrate damage is calculated as

(weapon base damge)*(1 + enhanced damge on weapon)*( 1 + str/100 + (skill and off hand weapon enhanced damage)/100)*(chance of critical strike/100)*(1-(chance of critical strike)/100)*(chance of deadly strike)/100

12. RedRockRun

I'm still in Act I - about to fight Countess.
    How do you reroll normals, or were you talking about magic rares/uniques?

13. drmalawi

I was talking about the runeword Insight made into a Bill (was just a suggestion). I did not technically meant that you reroll the runeword it just jargon. What is meant by rerolling a runeword is that you cube the weapon a Hel rune and a scroll of town portal. All runes will then be removed and you can insert new runes to make that particular runeword again. http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Insight_Rune_Word as you can see the enhanced damage and critical strike can vary a bit. The enhanched damage does not matter that much, but try to get at least level 4 critical strike http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Critical_Strike

together with Barb's weapon mastery, you can get pretty high chance of critical strike!

A drawback with Insight is that you get no weapon increased attack speed and thus have to rely on other slots for increased attack speed. You should also find what increased attack speed gives a new attack breakpoint. Time is divided into 25 frame in Diablo 2. And only by increasing, for instance, attack speed in certain intervals you will get an actual effect.

14. RedRockRun

Thanks for clarifying.
    So any attack speed from 0-24 will do nothing?

drmalawi likes this.
  15. drmalawi

You missunderstood.

If you get say 20% increased attack speed from say gloves, you may not get 20% more attacks per second since the mechanics of the game does not count so. here is the attack speed calculator http://diablo3.ingame.de/diablo-2/calculatoren/angriffsgeschwindigkeit/?lang=en

Say you have a Bill and use Concentrate. Here is the IAS (increased attack speed table)

fpa.png

(ticks is often called Frame per acion (FPA))

So, lets say you find a pair of gloves with 20% increased attack speed, you will reach the 15 IAS breakpoint.

We can also see that despite obtaining 195% IAS (not even sure if that is even possible) we just get almost double as many attacks per second.

A faster but less damaging weapon can be more effective than a slower, more damage dealing weapon. This is certainty true if you have some crushing blow. But Insight is a nice weapon to start off with. You can give it to an act II merc later on if/when you find something which is both high damage AND have high attack speed.

RedRockRun likes this.
  16. RedRockRun

As a quick aside, where do you get the link for that table (for the sake of linking images)? All I can get is a new window when I ask for the table.

Now then, according to that table with 7 IAS you still see an increase in APS, so why is 15 IAS the threshold? Or were you saying that you have to reach a certain %IAS in order to cross an IAS threshold and thus get the benefit? For example, a 19% increased attack speed item would still only give you the benefit of 7 IAS.

Also what should I look for in terms of attacks per second? I'm not sure what's significant. Take the Partizan for instance:

[​IMG]

It is a slower weapon but by a large enough margin to stay away from?

17. drmalawi

I just use printscreen crop tool.

as you can see it has more attack speed breakpoints than a Bill.

For nightmare, about 1.5 attacks/second shoule be fine.

Here are all the polearms http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Polearms

18. RedRockRun

Is it better to have more breakpoints? That seems like it would allow for more efficient IAS% use.

19. drmalawi

its not better or worse, it just is :)

but yeah ouy get more out of increasing IAS on gear but in the end

20. RedRockRun

Finally got the Tal rune I needed (though I had to scum to get 4 sockets on that bill). The damage increase is amazing with Insight. Also I'm happy to see my AR go up too. I only had 81 dex, so apparently the 80%+ chance to hit meant only hitting around half the time. Distance wasn't an issue with the axe either. I'd be standing at the same distance without moving and only around half the attacks would connect. It's much better now, but even with a much higher AR I'm still missing more than I feel I ought to.

Now I just need to find someone with life leech and upgrade my body armor. I have some ethereal gothic plate I'd found awhile ago, and I might socket it. Myth seems okay but not amazing. I feel like I'd get more benefit from Lionheart only I don't have the runes for that. There's also the problem of compromising my elemental resistance. I get wrecked by elemental lightning attacks with 41 res, and I'm just now starting Act II - not looking forward to beetle town.