Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2 handed BVC pub stomper?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by )BoNes(, Jun 29, 2008.

1. )BoNes(

)BoNes( Diabloii.Net Member

2 handed BVC pub stomper?

Is this possible? Given the right gear can this build be successful? I remember my 1.09 lancer being able to take out shield barbs through tricky range 5 exploitation. I feel confident I could out perform most people using my range. What builds can this barb not stand against? Any suggestions for gear? Seems to be the combination of massive life and range5+massive dmg is a huge advantage when playing bvc and the melee disadvantage can be countered using range and the power of ww. Thoughts?

2. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps Diabloii.Net Member

Re: 2 handed BVC pub stomper?

Any decent tele smiter/zealer would eat you alive, bowazons, have a disadvantage against most casters aka wind druid, hdins, sorcs, not to mention trappers or hybrids with massive stun and nice dmg. On the bright side, theres not many decent duelers in pubs so you might get some kills but overall I don't see this build clearing house.

3. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I think BAMF really really span it worse than it is. BvCs have no shield anyway, so you lose absolutely no survivability (unless your 2-hander of choice requires some dex...), it does change your build a little (since you can't rely on the +str from beast). I am not sure of the damage loss though. Your pure damage will be higher (nothing really out damages two handers...) but your speed will be decreased. I can't tell you how that will effect you percentage wise, since WW mechanics are certainly not my forte, but it will matter for at least the first 8 frames. The gain in range will be massive, and will likely make duels versus melee a lot easier. The loss in damage over time in the first few frames of your WW will hurt you against any character you need to teleport on before whirling, since you will indeed do less damage in the time you have them within the range of the whirl.

Thoughts: Could work well, but you would need a monster weapon...(4fpa, HUGE Damage... An amazing rare would be perfect, but eBotd Ogre Axe might work?)

4. )BoNes(

I'm willing to make it if it will work

5. xxxkillerxxx

xxxkillerxxx Diabloii.Net Member

Huh? You've never seen a good barb right?

@bones: you lose some damage (and the ability to zerk) compared to normal grief/beast dualwielder but the range somewhat compensates for that. If you're a good barbplayer and looking for a challenge and a different experience you should definately go for it!
    Range 5 is awesome when you try to catch desynchers (pallies, zons) and when you intercept ww casters (i.e. tele to where you anticipate they will move and whirl there). The extra range also allows for completely different shortwhirls, you can make longer whirls around your opponent so it's easier to avoid their attacks (especially windies) while you hit them more as well.
    Except for other wwbarbs any non-tele melee (i.e. 98% of your opponents) can't do **** if you smack on clegs, range 5 alone is enough but with knockback and slow it's a joke =)

Oh yeah botd great poleaxe is the weapon of choice.

6. NewForumBloke

NewForumBloke Diabloii.Net Member

Dont leave out a eth tomb reaver w/ a 30+/15 ias jewel and a 30+/15 max jewel. That allows for a 4 fpa ww, provides great extra res that would come in handy against ele casters, and the gpa would be great against the rest. Only catch to the reaver is that you'd lose 1 range, but i think against casters it would be justified for all that extra res.

Ive seen these kinds of barbs work, one of the biggest loses the ammount of hits you'll be landing compared to a dual weapon set up.

It works, and there are advantages, and you have a massive zerk damage as well.

7. AlmostInfinity

AlmostInfinity Diabloii.Net Member

I am going to build a polearm dueler this ladder. Going to shoot for a ebotd gpa for the weapon. Basically going to follow a bvc setup for skills, stats, and gear. It is probably not going to be as effective as dual axes but you get better range and cool points for making one.

8. )BoNes(

Looks like this build is pretty viable, looking forward to making one soon. Really don't see how this isn't preferred to the dual axe setup. Sure you get more hits but range is just so awesome in many duels and with some nice deadly strike you wont need more then a hit or two with your immense dmg. The hits with the Beast zerker are also pretty weak so..

9. )BoNes(

This build also has the advantage of taking out other bvcs since good use of range 5 will tear them apart without a shield. Back in the day I remember my 2 handed barbs being able to take out sword/shield barbs no problem

10. Radiata

Radiata Diabloii.Net Member

Wow nice bones i like the idea of a two handed ww barb i got some gears with a decent 200-1400 Ebotd Pike somewhere i try that out =P

I even have a grushed barb with no skill and stat placed yet waiting.

Thx for the idea.

11. )BoNes(

Before you invest in spear mastery, note that only ghost spear hits max ww speed..ebotd warpike does not. An ebotd gpa or thresher (just cus of sheer coolness, tho these have crazy insane max dmg) or giant thresher (if you can hit dex req, more consistent dmg and style factor) will all hit the last ww break tho

12. xxxkillerxxx

Dual axes do more damage and the range doesn't matter enough in alot of duels (depending on how you play ofc). And for me there is zerk too.
    Regarding the damage just look at it this way; botd gpa does 668 average damage, 2x grief zerkers do 895 average with 20% deadly strike. Max damage on charms also get twice as effective and you trigger open wounds and crushing blow twice as much. And grief+beast do even more damage than grief+grief.

There weren't any enigma around then and ww worked differently. I'm not discouraging you by any means though, build and post how it worked out!

13. )BoNes(

is zerk not far better with a 2 hander?

14. NewForumBloke

NewForumBloke Diabloii.Net Member

Dual Axes dont technically do more dmg than a 2 hander, they will just land more hits in 1 ww than a 2 hander will. And if your using 2 griefs, the avg dmg wont be 895... itd be 3xx-400 on 1 greif and 3xx-400 on the other. Other than that, i sort of agree with what your talking about for the advantages of using 2x 1 handers (ie grief/beast).

And your right about zerk, least from what ive gathered from other posts about zerk pvp baba builds, they all suggest using big/fast 2 handers for potential 1 hit kills and such.

15. xxxkillerxxx

Sorry but I am right. Except for the first 4:th ww frame both axes hit every 4:th frame so technically you do 895 average with 2x griefs and more with grief+beast.

I meant that with grief+beast you automatically get a nice 9 frame zerk by default btw. A twohanded bvc can't zerk well, you need to make some sacrifices to reach an acceptable attack speed. Then again not many people are good at it or even use zerk at all so this is less of a concern, but personally I love it.

16. )BoNes(

unless you are using 2 griefs then, the dmg will be subpar? Don't most bvc guides suggest beast not 2x grief?

17. xxxkillerxxx

Grief+beast does more damage than grief+grief.
    Grief+grief does more damage than twohanders.
    Botd+beast does more damage than twohanders if you have good charms.

18. )BoNes(

One thing though, when using 2 weapons, each individual hit is worse. If one is hitting with say an ebotd gpa, it is far more likely that every single hit will put your opponent into FHR animation. You can also afford to do longer whirlwinds, wasting less frames per second with a larger DoD. Many vita builds can still escape BvCs if they have enough life to not get put into FHR (usually 6-6.5k+). Of course it depends on charms as well, but overall every hit by the 2 hander packs a much larger punch. And when you hit a max dmg + deadly/crit strike it can KO many classes.

19. theheft

theheft Diabloii.Net Member

I disagree in the PVP aspect, I have a PVP bezerker and he does MUCH better when using a Grief phase blade and stormshield or phoenix compared to the BOTD CB due to the swing speed.

20. BierWiser

BierWiser Diabloii.Net Member

I was actually planning on making a 2-handed whirlwind Barbarian and I was pointed to this thread. When I was much worse at playing Diablo 2 I had an EBOTD Thunder Maul. I didn't do to well since I didn't know how to duel, but using the 1 point in concentrate on charger Paladins took them out in one hit. Besides this, I wanted to use a polearm for the longer range. I had heard the EBOTD War Pike is the best choice, though.