Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2 hand ww pvp barb (spear, polearm or w/e)

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Norton, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Norton

Norton IncGamers Member

2 hand ww pvp barb (spear, polearm or w/e)

Okay well I am pondering building one of these bad boys :D. I would like to use a range 5 weapon, and just need a few things clarified....
    Keep in mind these are for BOTD:

1) Eth war pike..... doesn't hit last BP right? So that's not a good pvp choice...

2) great poleaxe or ghost spear.... do they both have the same damage? I know great poleaxes reqs are lower.... but I somehow think the damage is too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3) Are the two range 5 weapons I mentioned up there really the only choice?

PVP skills:

20 WW
    20 BO
    20 Shout
    20 mastery..... dunno which one yet

That seems like the standard and 1 into everything else worth putting a point into.

Gear:

BoTD something or other
    Arreats
    angelic ammy
    angelic rings
    gore riders
    steelrend (comment please)
    verdungos
    Enigma

Now this would be a set-up for pubby pk.... Which build do you think would be best suited? I'm on US West Ladder so I don't have those 3/20/20's....what's a good alternative for sc's? just plain life? or combat?

Is damage still king? Or does Life prevail now?

If damage is still king... Titan here I come!
    If life prevails, I guess just enough str/dex for items.... and pump that Vit!

All your comments are welcome (except mean ones >_<) Also if someone has already posted some of the answers to my questions, please put the link on because I searched and turned up nothing. Well thanks for your time and help away!

-Norton

2. Fearoth

Fearoth IncGamers Member

In the past titans relied heavily on their massive damage and close to 50% life leech in pvp.Since leech has been nerfed so have been titans in pvp.Secondly, a 2 handed range 5 barb is probably best suited to fight casters so u will want that massive life to soak up all that synergy enhanced damage that casters nowadays have.With that in mind, id probably drop the shout and concentrate more on increased speed/nat resist, get massive fr/w (or are u planning on teleporting with that enigma? in that case get some fcr, dual wizspikes on switch could be an idea), and shoot for 5k+ life.

3. Norton

Norton IncGamers Member

Yeah, your concept seems right. But which is the better weapon to use? That's my BIGGEST problem right now.... I can't decide :(
    Also what charms should I be using? Combat charms for PvP?

4. DeathsHand

DeathsHand IncGamers Member

ghost spear and great poleaxe have the same avrage dmg (86.5), great poleaxe has lower dex req but high str compared to great poleaxe.

personally id choose the great poleaxe as the reqs are more suited for you (str rather then dex) and great poleaxes looks a hella lot better then 5 foot long tooth picks.

5. PumpShot

PumpShot IncGamers Member

Ya, I'd go with the great poleaxe as well for the same reasons that DeathsHand stated. The rest of your gear is pretty much exactly what I'm using. I put just enough str to equip and pumped the rest in vitality. I'm on ladder, so no 3/20/20's. For charms, I've been keeping anything with AR, life, or max damage.

I've built this barb mainly to duel casters, but after distributing my skills just as you have written, I started to pump iron skin. I did that so I can duel melee chars as well. I agree with Fearoth about needing your resists maxed but I don't agree with pumping frw. I've been reading a lot in these forums about how frw affects ww and there doesn't seem to be a consensus yet. From what I've read, the more frw you have, the more spread out your ww hits are. So, if you're going to be dueling somewhat stationary targets like casters, you don't want to pump frw. You'd use teleport to get close, and then whirl them. I'm not sure fcr would matter much either. I like to get the caster just on the edge of my screen, teleport close, and then whirl. With range 5 I don't have to get too extremely close to hit them.

6. Norton

Norton IncGamers Member

Thanks Pumpshot.... that's the advice I was looking for :D Now if my damn mules didnt expire.... I had a 6 socket superior GP lying around >_<