[Build] 2.0 WD Build - "Let's Get Physical"

Darksilanus

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi all,

So I was rocking the cookie cutter Fetish, Vamp Bats, pet heavy build and making good time through Master and T1 difficulty. Then I found this....

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/andariels-visage ....with +20% to physical skills

Now I know what they mean about a potentially game changing legendary. Andariel's Visage made me think of the viability of a completely different build than I was playing. Between this item and a post I saw on the official forum (can't take complete credit for this build idea), I came up with this physical WD build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WfQUdi!abT!aaZZcb

The basic play tends to go a little differently depending on what type of mobs you are fighting, but they all have the up close and personal feel to them.

Trash mobs - Run up to them without fear and pop SH-Vengeful Spirit. Depending on your difficulty setting, crit chance, etc this could very well kill most of them. From there, you can either choose to Angry Chicken them to finish them off with a flourish or hit the with a couple exploding toads to pick them off while conserving the chicken for the next pack. If you have a large enough pack of trash, with grave injustice, you could potentially continue the Vengeful Chicken cycle a couple times and still end up with no cooldown wait for the next pack.

Beefier trash mobs - You know the ones I mean. The golgors and their ilk that have quite a few HP. The method above probably takes down 50+% of their life, so it definitely softens them up. That's when you bust out Zombie charger - Pile On and burst them down. Usually takes 2-3 casts to take them down, so you shouldn't be completely out of mana at this point.

Blue/Yellow/Purple Mobs - Take your beefy trash mob strategy up to 11 by throwing down Rain Dance. You can pretty much burst anything down in the time it takes Rain Dance to finish. While you are Piling On, try throwing in the Vengeful Chicken cycle as often as it comes off cooldown. The main annoyance in this build is the fast moving critters. They don't like to stand still for Pile On and it can be a pain to hunt them down.

Bosses - Basically the same strat as above, while paying particular attention to your toughness and possibly some skill switch up to bolster defense. The key thing is you want to be up in their kool aid as much as possible so all your poison novas from Andariel's Visage hit. It procs all the time and the damage is nothing to sneeze at. If you are having trouble surviving boss battles, try switching to another toad....maybe Rain of Toads for the LoH and throw in some Bad Medicine. Or take out Spirit Walk for Leeching Beasts or a big, fat Garg.

Paragon Point Build
- This is where you've alot of flexibility to fill any holes in gear. Some natural choices would end up being area damage, cooldown reduction, elemental resist all, +mana, +int or even +movement speed if you feel like you are going too slow from pack to pack.

Gear
- Some specific and generalized gear to keep an eye out for...

In general - +to physical damage %, +area damage (if anyone can comment on caps for these, it would be greatly appreciated).

Andariel's Visage (legendary helm) - Not required for this build, but considering it was part of the inspiration for it, VERY useful if you can get it with +% to physical skills

St. Archew's Gage (legendary gloves) - for the defensive bubble. You will likely ALWAYS be surrounded by 5 enemies before you let loose the chickens of war

Thundergod's Vigor (legendary belt) - Nice for additional DPS while you are taking hits anyway. Like poison nova, it all adds up.

Pox Faults (legendary pants) - Lots of enemies around you, so more damage = good!

Moonlight Ward (legendary amulet) - Are you seeing a theme yet?

Halcyon's Ascent (legendary amulet) - This has pretty much everything we need to make those annoying elite battles go faster.

Krede's Flame (legendary ring) - Since we are taking extra fire damage with Andariel's Visage, maybe this could be useful?

Wall of Bone/Man (legendary shield) - Suggested if you are playing hardcore without Spirit Vessel (like I am).

Manajuma's Set (set ceremonial knife and mojo) - Will help keeping mana full, extra poison cloud around you for extra damage and THE MOJO IS A DEAD CHICKEN! What more do you need (if you don't need defense)?

Doombringer (legendary sword) - MOAR physical damage

But I digress...this build is more active than a pet build, yet still darn effective and just plain fun. It never gets old luring enemies to surround me and kiling them all at once! Give it a try and please post any comments from your play experience. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Sulle

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, you gotta roll with what you find i guess, but in the long run if you are going to focus on pet heavy build, then 4 pieces of zuni, mask of jeram(carnevil if you want to focus on fetishes and poison dart) and tasker and theo are the BIS.

From what I have seen the fetish army is the new zero-dog and extremely powerful. However the build is unfortunately reliant of some specific items in order to work optimally so it will take some time to get all the items.

It´s ofc fun to try out different builds, but since the fetish army got that sick buff, I wouldn´t want to miss out on it, especially since they also do physical dmg(legion of daggers) and that would be perfect with all the extra physical dmg you have. So when you get 4 pieces of zuni the army will last until they die and then with the passive "fetish Sycophants" you´ll be able to add a lot of fetishes on top of that.

Darksilanus

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, you gotta roll with what you find i guess, but in the long run if you are going to focus on pet heavy build, then 4 pieces of zuni, mask of jeram(carnevil if you want to focus on fetishes and poison dart) and tasker and theo are the BIS.

From what I have seen the fetish army is the new zero-dog and extremely powerful. However the build is unfortunately reliant of some specific items in order to work optimally so it will take some time to get all the items.

It´s ofc fun to try out different builds, but since the fetish army got that sick buff, I wouldn´t want to miss out on it, especially since they also do physical dmg(legion of daggers) and that would be perfect with all the extra physical dmg you have. So when you get 4 pieces of zuni the army will last until they die and then with the passive "fetish Sycophants" you´ll be able to add a lot of fetishes on top of that.
I definitely get what you are saying about the sick fetish builds, but this is really meant as an alternative to a cookie cutter build. It isn't the most powerful build ever, but it's fun and very active. Like back in D2 how skellymancers were eventually insanely powerful, but some people enjoyed playing a poison dagger build instead.

It's just nice that we FINALLY have some options for different build types. That's been sorely missed in D3 (though I wish there were more oskill effects on legendaries. Getting another classes' skill was one of the things that made uniques and runewords so darn fun in D2. Maybe for D3Y?