Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1st ubertrist smiter. need some advice

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by matkovsky, Apr 28, 2008.

1. matkovsky

matkovsky IncGamers Member

1st ubertrist smiter. need some advice

Hi all.

Im playing on bnet not for long and just made my first smiter to try ubertrist. After reading forums I made this char:

Equip:
    Helm – guilamo
    Armor – forti (+ treachery for prebuff)
    Amu – rare +29 res all
    Rings – ravenfrost + dwarfstar
    Shield – spirit in +39allres sacred targe
    Belt – credenium
    Boots – gore
    Gloves – draculs
    Weap – grief pb
    On switch – life tap wand + almanegra shield

Skills: 20 fana, 20 defiance, 20 holyshield, 1 smite. Rest I don’t sure where to put, one idea I have is to max smite.

stats:str and dex are just for gear and 75%block and all rest in vit (300+ with gear)

Stacked resists with charms:
    Lightning and cold - bit over 300
    Poison – 240 (as I understand, conviction don’t affect poison resist, so any 175+ stacked here is enuf)
    Fire – 280

Before trying ubers first time I want to ask few things.
    Will I have any serious problems doing ubers with this char? And where best to put rest skill points?

Thnx for any advices.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: 1st ubertrist smiter. need some advice

You have a very solid char. My only advice is to switch out the Credendum belt for Thundergod's Vigor - you will be close to Lightning Immune outside of UT. I love that.

But your skillpoints... The whole point with 1pt smite is to max Zeal and Sacrifice to use versus minions/regular monsters. With your skill setup, you are better off maxing Smite, since you don't have enough points to synergize Zeal with your leftover skillpts.

3. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

I disagree. Zeal gives very little damage difference per point. Max Sacrifice, and dump the rest into Zeal. (Sacrifice gives more damage than Zeal, but Zeal gives AR which is useless with an ITD weapon such as grief pb) There won't be that much of a difference between a 20 zeal 20 sacrifice build.

4. matkovsky

matkovsky IncGamers Member

so i can max sacrifice and put some points in zeal to make char better in general pvm? maxing smite dont make many diference in killpower against ubers comparing to 1 pt, do i understand right?

5. ProfessionalBerg

Yes, I was wrong there.

6. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

What's the deal with Tgods? Why worry about light immunes? You zeal them all anyway! How about String of years for %PDR?

Edit: ohh Now I see your suggestion.. IMO light should not be a problem, you could also dump some extra points into light resist (2 skill / 1% max resist). Physical Damage is harder to reduce.

7. ProfessionalBerg

I notice a considerable difference in survivability against Gloams when wearing or not wearing TGod's. It's like heaven and earth.

8. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

You could be right.

The only char I have on Hell is a zon, and she has 75 res all, and wearing vipermagi and Spirit that give MDR (13) and Magic Absorb(5), maybe that's why I never feel the gloams, I actually find them quite harmless!

I do have a prayer merc with Insight and that helps a bit. I don't say Tgods is bad, but I don't have it, so I focused on max resists.

As for the smiter... you tend to have some spare points, dumping 10 in light resist, would give an additional 5% light resist, but you can't get PDR with any skills, and lets face it... you don't actually need that much +skills anyway, so you could get away with a lower level Zeal/Sacrifice. Again, this is mostly for the PDR.

9. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

I'm a bit out of subject here, but I have a question about MDR and Magic Absorb... Do they concern magic damage or elemental damage (including or not poison?), or both?

10. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

I think its all non physical, except posion.

Edit: actually I didn't put it quite right. Its all elemental and Magic (like bone spears)

11. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

Tgods passes the "can I actually see a difference?" test, without question. It's not particularly rare or expensive, either.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  12. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

if I find the same item twice I consider it "findable". I haven't found any TGods yet (in 2 months) so... TGods is not on my "cheap/common item list"
    I do consider Vipermagi findable for example (i found 2 of them).

Edit: Nowhere in Hell lighting is a big problem for my char (75 light resist, MDR of about 20, 8 magic absorb, and prayer merc with insight - double healing). Is the lightning damage in Uber much more dangerous than what i've encountered so far?

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  13. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

That's a VERY BAD statistical test method. Just because I found like more than 1 SoJ last ladder, it doesn't mean it is a common item. (I think by shear luck, I found more SoJ's than T-gods last ladder.) Regardless, t-god's is certainly cheaper than some other items (like HoZ or arach).

Meph is lightning enchanted, likes to throw charge bolt, and has conviction. You can do trist without t-gods, but you can definitely see a difference with it.

14. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Yeah, well bad statistical method, but if I have two of the same I can easily trade one of them.

I didn't know Meph was light enchanced. Well, a friend of mine has tgods and if need be I can borrow it from him for the Uber trist purposes.

15. crosser

crosser IncGamers Member

MDS and MDA affect magic damage only. magic damage does not include poison or elemental attacks, it's like, erm... "pure magic", not affilated with any element. bone spear, bone spirit, teeth, blessed hammers, magical factor of FoH, magic arrow, berserk damage are all examples of that dmg. hence, MDR does not help you against gloams or LE monsters, it's rather relatively high (75 ain't high for me ^^) resistance, leech, healing and HP amount that makes it seem harmless to you... even though i strongly recommend using stacking a lot of res (enough to have it max after both hell penalty and Meph's conviciotn) and using Tgods whenever you face strong lightning attack and have a spare belt slot. if you are able to lay your hands on Whisp Projector as well, you can have a thunderstorm for breakfast ;)

16. ProfessionalBerg

You're wrong, crosser. The mod "Magic Damage Reduced By" applies to any elemental, as well as magic damage, excluding only poison damage, as that is not "magic" in it's origin. This is how Energy Shield sorceresses work - they reach 95% absorb with Energy Shield, and then use items with iDR (integer Damage Reduction, "Damage Reduced By", also abbreviated as PDR), and MDR ("Magic Damage Reduced By") to completely negate damage done to their life bulb, short of Open Wounds and Poison.

And what the hell are MDS and MDA? First time I hear those abbreviations.

17. crosser

crosser IncGamers Member

than I stand corrected. I was pretty damn sure that it worked that way... and abbreviations were supposed to be MDR (my bad) and MDA - magic damage reduced/absorbed. possibly not commonly used, but it's sometimes tricky to translate back into english from local kanguage version...

18. ProfessionalBerg

Although the MAGIC resistance and MAGIC absorb mods do exist in the game, you won't find them on any item, save for one: Safety Shields that give +5-10% magic resistance. Other than that, there is no item that has a modifier that protects you only from magic damage.