1st Amendment Trampling

Rocks_Off

Diabloii.Net Member
1st Amendment Trampling

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/01/27/national1910EST0834.DTL

"As the commission continues the challenging task of balancing the protections of the First Amendment with the need to protect our young, these increased enforcement actions will allow the commission to turn what is now a 'cost of doing business' into a significant 'cost for doing indecent business,"' he said.
I wasn't aware that the 1st Admendment had a 'protect the children' clause. I must need a new copy of it.

What a strange world it is when I find myself sympathyzing with Clear Channel...

Damascus

Diabloii.Net Member
Remember when you used to be able to question the government without being considered a traitor? Good times

Munch

Diabloii.Net Member
Rocks_Off said:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/01/27/national1910EST0834.DTL

I wasn't aware that the 1st Admendment had a 'protect the children' clause. I must need a new copy of it.

What a strange world it is when I find myself sympathyzing with Clear Channel...
So you disagree with the concept of indecency laws? Would you agree that anyone has the freedom of expression to streak naked down the street? How about through a grade school? Certainly, a line should be drawn somewhere, correct?

tarnok

Diabloii.Net Member
Damascus said:
Remember when you used to be able to question the government without being considered a traitor? Good times
Oooh, you shouldn't have said that.

LunarSolaris

Diabloii.Net Member
Damascus said:
Sadly.... history tends to repeat itself *cough* Joseph McCarthy *Cough*

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
*shrug* Not all speech is protected. You cannot yell fire in a crowded movie theater. You cannot tell a woman at work that her butt would taste good with some chocolate syrup on it.

Rocks_Off

Diabloii.Net Member
Munch said:
So you disagree with the concept of indecency laws? Would you agree that anyone has the freedom of expression to streak naked down the street? How about through a grade school? Certainly, a line should be drawn somewhere, correct?
No. I vote for anarchy.

Hmm, does streaking count as 1st amendment? That'd be an interesting argument.

Intolerance

Diabloii.Net Member
Yaboosh said:
Not all speech is protected. You cannot yell fire in a crowded movie theater.
I saw Penn and Teller in Vegas last November, and during a juggling routine, Penn dropped some flaming torches and yelled "FIRE!! FIRE!! FIRE!!"
Then he commented on how he had just yelled "FIRE!!" in a crowded theater.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
Ummmm, great for Penn and Teller.

Anyway, speech that is intended to wrongfully incite panic or riots or violence in the public sphere are not protected.

Is that smartass proof enough for you?

Intolerance

Diabloii.Net Member
Yaboosh said:
Ummmm, great for Penn and Teller.

Anyway, speech that is intended to wrongfully incite panic or riots or violence in the public sphere are not protected.

Is that smartass proof enough for you?
I didn't mean to imply that it is constitutionally A-OK to yell fire in a crowded theater, I was just giving an oddball example of it occuring without a problem. Obviously his intention was not to incite panic, but rather to be silly.

Hellfire

Diabloii.Net Member
It's strange how I never seen a liberal get up in arms when the second amendment is under attck... I wonder why that is.