Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1st amendment right or terrible intolerance?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Stevinator, May 25, 2005.

?

What should the doctor tell the fat kids?

1. Obese

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. At risk for obesity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Durf/Poing/Booboes/Beer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

1st amendment right or terrible intolerance?

Linky

Since we're now all versed in how important the Koran (q'aran?) is to the islamic faith, is this merely an exercise of this church's (preacher's) 1st amendment right, or just another example of the terrible intolerance that plagues society today?

discuss.

2. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Oh say can you say...

The 1st Amendment protects every US citizens' right to say whatever they want, no matter how stupid. There are, however, exceptions to this law (most notably, the "you can't yell fire in a crowded theater unless there is one" statute which implies that the speaker wanted to incite a riot even though the person in question probably didn't wish to do so). The minister's sign may in time be considered an incitement to riot but I doubt it will get that far (he'll either back down or someone will tear it down).

3. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Its ideas like that that start wars. Why are muslims credited with respecting other religions and Christians being jerks all the time? Just curious.

4. Tutatis

Tutatis IncGamers Member

I find this a very bad extremist remark, after the pope died the church is going back to inquisition. That sign means the church supports the soldiers in Irak that use the coran when they go to the toilet and it is an instigation against muslims. It's true muslims have such atittudes, but most of them aren't violent.

And the first ammendament doesn't let you say anything...for instance if you say you don't want to higher a homosexual for your company you get suit for your opinion, so sign that instigate to hate against other religions should have the same treatment.

5. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

You can say all you want, but you cannot refuse to hire them based on your belief. that is how the lawsuits are started.

6. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I don't think that sign is acceptable, and that's what I voted in the poll. But there's no reason to make it illegal. "I may not agree with what you say, but I regret that I have but one life to give for my the British are coming! The British are coming!" as one or several American revolutionaries famously said. Maybe.

7. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Whether or not I feel it appropriate is immaterial. That minister has every right to put up such a sign, and I wouldn't want to live in a nation where he would be prevented from doing so.

One of the greatest tests of our personal freedoms of expression is to scandalise our neighbours.

8. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Although he has the right to display it, I have the right to criticize it.

The sign sucks.

9. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

I think I'll agree with llad12 here...

Oh and, it's church..what did you expect...

10. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr IncGamers Member

The sign, I believe, is constitutionally supported. While it expresses an opinion, it obviously does not incite violence. The sign is directed at a small church community. Secondly, it does not encourage any action other than destorying the Quran. And while book burning is a radical action, it is neither violent nor constitutionally outlawed. By restricting individual's rights, no matter how much we disagree with them, we hurt democracy, and lead ourselves further and further down a path to guardianship.

11. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Way to generalize and put all Christians into one group. :rolleyes: I am Chrisitan and respect all religions and I know plenty of other Christians who do the same. You can't judge any group by looking at the bad eggs. It's the individual "bad-eggs" who are jerks as people, not Christianity.

The sign was put up by an ignorant individual. He does not speak for myself or many other Christians. He has the right to put it up though, just like we have the right to express our disgust in it.

12. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I hate church signs

13. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Wow, I could have sworn I hear the converse of that statement all the time. I'm currently in California too....

14. Ash Housewares

everyone is a jerk, no one is innocent

15. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

aparently we have something in common..

well..I hate church...

ok..I just hate religions...Any and all...equally...

16. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I hate signs.

17. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Why is everybody so worried about offending Muslims? They don't worry about offending us when they fly planes into buildings (and then celebrate), burn American flags, cut off American's heads, et.c.

Muslims are probably the world's worst group of people, they're like impudent children. They behave horribly, yet they expect to be treated like gold.

18. Ash Housewares

and everyone else is so great? I stand by my previous post

19. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

Hi Steve,

Gee, I didn't realise that all of the many of millions Muslims world wide were involved with crashing aeroplanes into the Twin Tower. Silly me thought it was the work of just a few fanatics, but you Steve, seemed to blame an entire group of people by the actions of a few crazy individuals.

Steve, would you like other people to judge America by the actions of a few ? What if we judged Americans based on the actions of people like Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, Michael Jackson ? Do you think this would paint a true picture of your average American ..... I don't think so.

Your sweeping generalization have the taint of racism which I find rather provoking. Do you really beleive what you write or are you just stirring the rest of us up ?

You also mentioned "burn American flags". I'm curious .... would this action protected by "Freedom of Speech" ?

Regards
    Syxx

20. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Let me turn this the other way around. You can't expect us to condemn terrorist acts commited by Muslims, and condemn the burning of American flags, while at the same time let Christian ministers who act equally as disrespectful towards another religion off the hook, without looking like a hypocrite.

Honestly, there are certain other groups which I am thinking of right now, that fit your description of behaving "like impudent children. They behave horribly, yet they expect to be treated like gold."