Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

14 year old alcoholic

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Veilside, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Veilside

Veilside IncGamers Member

14 year old alcoholic

The binge drinking girl who suffered liver failure at just 14

2. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

Re: 14 year old alcoholic

thats a hell of a lot of alcohol. that cider stuff they are talking about is delicious.

"The main thing that needs to be done is for supermarkets to stop offering alcohol at pocket-money prices."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

3. Veilside

This sentence particularly disgusted me.

Talk about bad parenting.
    Alcohol is expensive enough as it is, there's absolutely no need to bring the prices up some more.

4. awilhelmscream

awilhelmscream IncGamers Member

Yeah I heard about that on the radio the other day.
    That first picture is actually a before and after shot.
    I heard she is going to get used by the NHS in initiatives- inspiring... :rolleyes:

5. Ikeren

Ikeren IncGamers Member

Really? What about the culture of binge drinking in Canada/The US? Is there any statistical comparison? I was under the impression it was worse here (a guy 2 doors down from me has been rushed to the hospital 3 times from alcohol poisoning).

6. Aaiieeee

Aaiieeee IncGamers Member

Shouldnt her mum get done for neglect or something?

First class bad parenting, and the audacity of trying to blame it on alcopops and cheap booze.

7. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Did she star in ET?

Parenting is the culprit here. Not the price of booze or the availability of it. People need to take responsibility for themselves and their kids.

8. Pierre

Pierre IncGamers Member

I have to disagree with you here, partially. Other than putting your kid under a nazi regime, your kids want to drink, they'll find a way to do it. Though, in this certain case, the mother could of easily help cut down the amount of alcohol.

I haven't got a clue what it's like in the U.S, but here in the U.K, the goverment need to force business' to charge more for their booze, or atleast implant a minimum price.

9. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Actually I disagree with you Pierre - The responsibility does reside with the parent.

Sure, if a child wants to do something badly enough, they will likely find a way to do it... but a parent can (and should) respond to that with repercussions to the youth (including forced drug/alcohol treatment), punitive action, etc. There is nothing that should stop a parent from pursuing legal courses of action as well (such as reporting the minor to the police).

When parents don't take action, they are essentially allowing the behavior by lack of action. They are negligent.

There are of course exceptions to this (i.e. a parent doing all that they can to counteract the behaviors and the youth being wildly out of control) but the vast majority of times, it boils down to a parent not doing what a parent should be doing.

10. Johnny

Johnny Banned

No doubt the severe liver damage is due to her immature liver. Rather than the implied idea that she did a lifetime worth of drinking by age 18.

11. Pierre

Pierre IncGamers Member

The legal responsibility is with the parent, but I believe it is down to the individual.
    I'm not of the belief that the parents should do nothing, the parents should do all they can for the "child". This includes the things you mentioned, teaching the child the harm it can do and punishing the "child" (to a certain extent) for it.
    Punishing the "child" to harshly can do more harm than good though, possibly alienating the child. Also, a 14 year old has the mental ability to know what is right or wrong, whether they choose to ignore that though.

The police need to work harder on what retailers are selling alcohol to minors though. That is the priority in my opinion. Cutting off the child from their source would be one of the most effective ways to lower underage drinking.

12. Veilside

That definitely didn't help her but drinking a few bottles of wine a day is ridiculous.

13. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Apparantly the younger you are the more damage alcohol does to your liver up until about 18 years old. That's the best age to start if ever.

14. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

Yeah, the problem is cheap alcohol... </sarcasm>

How about blaming the parents?

15. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

If she didn't know what an alcoholic is at 13 then she must've been one thick child

16. Night

Night IncGamers Member

Super ridiculous story to help whatever lobby group/legislaters who are pushing for this "increase booze price" thing. This is clearly the fault of a pathetic parent and idiot child.. and is not at all a case for artificially increasing the price of booze.

How could a kid have time to drink so much in a day unless their parent was completely absentee or knew about it but didn't care? Give me a break!

I want to slap down any turds who push for legislation because of such a story like this; it is an abuse of the government's power and serves only to curtail the free market as well as individual's rights.

Oh ya.. the parent needs a slap as well.

17. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I may be off on my values, I just grabbed the low range from Wiki, but that works out to .875 liters of pure alcohol a day. Which seems a bit high, it works out to like 42 drinks a day.

Someone tell me that my math is way off somewhere. . .that should kill you it would make your BAC over 4.00 for a 130lb person.

18. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

*sigh* One person is a moron, let's ban xxxx argument again.

Or in this case two people: the parent and the child. An out of control child and a parent that frankly could rival King Herod is not a suitable case for:
    • Increasing the cost of alcohol
    • Limiting availability to certain areas (eg pubs not supermarkets)
    • Limiting availability to certain times (I never did work out the UK laws before all-day opening - can't drink in a pub between 3pm and 7pm - why?)

Can we all say stupid publicity stunt to get those without a brain up in arms? Can we? Yes, I think we can.

And yes ... slap child and then send parent to parenting classes. Or a sterilzation clinic. Or both. Jesh.

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Heh, how did I know this was in Britain before reading the article? It's a mystery.

20. CrimsonOmen

CrimsonOmen IncGamers Member

Meh, happens all the time in Russia. Only that once they cant have alcohol they turn to drugs.