14 levels of gems?

raveharu

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: 14 levels of gems?

Always remember this game is more catered for multiplayer than singleplayer, Jay has emphasized many times D3 is about cooperative playing.

The number is nothing compared to the gargantuan population that would be playing the game online.

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Always remember this game is more catered for multiplayer than singleplayer, Jay has emphasized many times D3 is about cooperative playing.
While this is true, I'm hoping that they aren't forgetting about SP this time around. Having to install mods in order to be able to run all rune words was a bit of a pain. Not to mention certain bugs that were fixed very late. There are enough other incentives to play multiplayer that you don't need to artificially cripple singleplayer.

Cymril

Diabloii.Net Member

Jay confirmed a lot of D2 returning properties, like +stats. So with 14 levels of +strength, it'll probably be something like, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 15, 18, 21, 25. Would that be worth the effort? I mean of course it's worth collecting Ist runes for a month to make a Vex. Would you do the same thing to add 3 more str, though? I'd guess not. At least it wouldn't be much of a priority.
I think you're grossly underestimating the numbers on +stat for gems. I think the high level ones will have quite a dramatic effect. For example, in the Caravan reveal trailer, they socket a "Normal Emerald" into the shield when they show adding sockets to an item, which adds +7 Dexterity.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they would use a mid level gem for a throw away example, granted, they just spawned a bunch of stuff for the example, but I'd like to think that stuff was vaguely level appropriate.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

more of think about it the more i believe this is just about keeping the game going for a longer period of time. having items that will take so much effort to get will reward those players who stick with the game. i am starting to like the idea of it actually

TheMythe

Diablo: IncGamers Member

@TheMythe

Dude your suggestion for 16,15,14 is just crazy. How would that make less then every level requiring 3 gems of the lower lvl? I mean even if u dont do any math 3 is a lot less than 16, isnt it ? I dont mean to offend you. I just thought it was funny ;)
It would take 3487131648000 gems of lvl 1 to get to 14 which with 1s per click would take you 58118860800 minutes or 968647680 hours of only clicking to get from 1 to 14.

Now to be serious i think they'll make the requirement 2 instead of 3 gems to upgrde to the next lvl. That'd make the numbers much more reasonable and it will still be hard to get to 14.

P.S. not sure if my math is correct. Its late here, where i live and im REALLY sleepy. ;)
That's okay, no probs here :) *shakes hand*
In the Tweakers.net interview JW said that it indeed will always be 3 for the next tier.
However, you can find upto lvl5 gems, so it won't be all 1's. The number calculated here would be just a maximum number it could be..

On a sidenote, I agree with Apoc. This game is meant to be played as long as D2 (at least) but with a better longterm balanced gameplay. In order to reach this, one needs to think BIG, kinda like searching for a ZOD rune or a Grandfather...

Flux

Administrator

I think you're grossly underestimating the numbers on +stat for gems. I think the high level ones will have quite a dramatic effect. For example, in the Caravan reveal trailer, they socket a "Normal Emerald" into the shield when they show adding sockets to an item, which adds +7 Dexterity.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they would use a mid level gem for a throw away example, granted, they just spawned a bunch of stuff for the example, but I'd like to think that stuff was vaguely level appropriate.
Entirely possible, but wouldn't that be game-breaking? If your level 80 Monk had (for example) 120 dex, and with 3 socketed gems you can add 150 more to that? That would seem to turn the base stats into almost an irrelevance, since you could exceed them with just a few sockets.

Or maybe that's the idea, and the base stats are meant to be only a starting point, and eq, gems, talisman, etc will boost char stats hugely above those starting points. That would make the chars very customized by eq, which is something Jay's said he wants, after all.

Flux

Administrator

Well, you can pop the gems out without destroying them now. So as the years go by, it should be easier and easier to make the lev 14 gems since very few are leaving the economy.
This is a key pointI think most of us aren't intellectualizing yet, accustomed as we are to D2's "socket it and it's gone" mechanic.

In D3 you can use the Blacksmith to socket whatever you like, and remove that item, and upgrade it, and resocket it. This procedure will have some cost, gold + materials probably, but if that's not a big price, then it will profoundly change the play style.

It seems like forever to cube 19.5k lvl 5 gems up to lvl 14. Months of work. And it probably will be. But unlike in D2, those gems aren't just sitting uselessly in your stash the whole time. You've got your highest level one in your item, and you're getting a substantial benefit from it all the time, and as you keep upgrading that gem type you're regularly popping it out and upgrading it and boosting the bonus.

That'll make a big difference in how long and arduous a chore it is to raise a gem to level 14.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

that is a good point. we will be using that gem we keep upgrading and the stash should be bigger and hopefully shared. so if we do have a shared stash and can use the gem it really is something that will benefit those who play the most. i wonder at what level the gems drop though and at what rate. will we see tons and tons of level 1 gem drops and almost never see a 5? will they drop more in hell than normal? if a level 5 drop is so rare and level 1's so common i can see high level characters farming normal difficulty for them.

then again this is of course taking assumptions brought over by D2 experience. either way i kinda like the really high level now. more and more i talk/think about it the more and more i actually like the idea of having a very long term goal

Cymril

Diabloii.Net Member

Entirely possible, but wouldn't that be game-breaking? If your level 80 Monk had (for example) 120 dex, and with 3 socketed gems you can add 150 more to that? That would seem to turn the base stats into almost an irrelevance, since you could exceed them with just a few sockets.

Or maybe that's the idea, and the base stats are meant to be only a starting point, and eq, gems, talisman, etc will boost char stats hugely above those starting points. That would make the chars very customized by eq, which is something Jay's said he wants, after all.
Exactly. And considering how long it'll take for any one person to get 3 level 14 gems (even considering a high drop rate, probably a few months of near constant playing, at least), I think they deserve to get a such a huge increase.

It's pretty much exactly like cubing up mid level runes into high level ones, actually, some quick and dirty math shows (using the 19.5k figure) that it's roughly the same as cubing Amns into a Vex. That would take a while, especially if you never got the boost from finding a rune higher than Amn. Now, do that three times, and another 15 times for all your other gear. I think after putting in that much work, you deserve your big stat boosts.

Also, I kind of like the idea of working piecemeal towards a goal. Sort of like farming gold for gambling/crafting regents. To use a D2 example, if you spend a few hours running Meph/Baal and never get a decent drop, you've basically wasted your time. But, during that time, you're likely to find probably a dozen or so level 5 gems, or a level 7 and some change. Which means even though you didn't get "lucky" and get anything good, you've at the very least made some meaningful progress towards a level 14.