Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

13 hours to go - Amsterdam no longer the only choice for smokers.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dark Matter, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

13 hours to go - Amsterdam no longer the only choice for smokers.

At midnight the UK Govt downgrades cannabis from class b to class c putting it on a par with anabolic steroids.

Possession of Cannabis will not longer result in automatic prosecution and, as long as you are not 'skinning up' outside of your local police station a 'slap on the wrist and confiscation' is what you can expect for public smoking.

In order to celebrate this triumph of common sense Scotland will have it's first cannabis cafe by the end of the week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3434283.stm

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=103422004

Let's see how long it will stay open :)

2. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Bah. Just come to Canada. Reefer heaven, this is.

3. Dark Matter

Hmm

What class is it in Canada?

4. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Pretty much the same thing. It's rare when police bother to arrest for marijuana. There's a very large movement pushing for complete decriminalization and it will probably go through in the next couple of years.

5. Dark Matter

It has been the same in the UK. In certain parts of London and other major cities it's possible to get passivly smoke enough to get stoned without paying a penny. In smaller villages (Sherston in Wiltshire where I used to live, for example) people are openly growing their own.

There is a movement to decriminalise it, but there was a bit of a conservative backlash. We're on the way and this is the first step to that. Ultimately I think it shou,d be leaglised and taxed like tobacco and alcohol, but I think that's along way off atm.

I have just asked my boss if I can smoke at work from tomorrow and he has had to go for a lie down. LMAO.

6. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Amsterdam has never been the only choice for smokers, youre forgetting the fine thai sticks, the moraccan hash, mexican brick weed, bc buds. All these places dont just export, they keep all the good stuff for themselves!

7. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Even in the US, unless you are a moron, you are not going to be arrested for smoking in your own house.

8. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Meanwhile... Christianias pusherstreet is being shut down. :(

No more trips to Copenhagen for me. Only thing left over there now is hackebiff and that´s just not worth the trip.

9. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

you ever been to the grasshopper in Amsterdam?

10. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Common sense! Could you please elaborate these carefully chosen words?

I have seen many young people that were using THC and now they are doing some hard drugs, with a good chance that they will never reach 40 years of age.

Flame me. Tell me something special. ;)

11. Dark Matter

Ooooh! I'd forgotten Christiana ....

none of the other comments signify so far. AFAIK you can't smoke in public and if the Police were so inclined they could come knocking.

Although the re-classification here doesn't legalise it small amounts are going to be tolerated and smoking in public won't really result in arrest unless you are persistant and known to the police.

Amsterdam is still one of the few places where you can sit in public and smoke with impunity.

12. Dark Matter

No need to flame :0

Common Sense.

Acknowledgement that a huge number of the British smoke Hash and/or cannibis, including Members of Parliament and the Judiciary.
    Acknowledgement that the prosecution/jail is not a deterrant
    Acknowledgement that criminal records for such offences limit life choices for young people for little or no reason.
    Acknowledgement that smoking is no worse for your health than alcohol or tobacco.
    Acknowledgement that cannabis is potentially beneficial in certain medical cases.
    Acknowledgement that smoking automatically results in further addictions is an urban myth with no provable basis in fact. (Like TV violence = more street violence)
    Acknowledgement that police time/money would be better off spent on more 'serious' crime.

13. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Globally I would classify the happenings in Christania as one of those minor "conservative backlashes".

Basically Denmark now has one of the most right-wing governments we have had in a long time. There has been some politicians trying to bulldoze Christiania altogether and Christiania is merely trying to survive.

It should be said that besides the drug issue Christiania enjoys enormous public support, so it'll probably stay.

I guess a lot of people would be scared of the possibility of a full-scale city riot if they go through with their plans, especially now that Ungdomshuset's (another anarchist stronghold) days are numbered.

14. Drosselmeier

Sorry about your government ;)

Seriously though... Pia Kjersgaard scares the bejeebuz out of me.

I don´t think anyone will touch Christiania either, aside from pusherstreet. I saw a bit on the news about it just the other day and the only complaint about the place from people interviewed on the street was the occasional "I don´t like the drugdealing". Most thought that Christiania was a part of the soul of copenhagen and should be left as it is.
    Also, tearing down the entire community would displace about 2000 (?) people who are contributing to society. That would come with huge political cost and hence will never happen.

Cracking down on the dealers is tolerated by the community though, so I suspect the gov. will continue doing that until they´re gone.

It kinda sucks for us druggies. The dealers will only move their business elsewhere, so it will still be availible, albeit harder to find. The business will get shadier and that sucks as well.

15. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

This “Acknowledgement†word that you put in front your sentences is typical for those who are young and desperately trying to sound mature (though my mother language is not English, I can perfectly understand your thoughts and behavior from were you come from). Don’t try to impress me with these words, specially when you say:
    Someone terribly misguided you young man :cool:

16. Drosselmeier

Dark Matter´s caught the REEFER MADNESS!

17. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I'm sorry, old man, but your arrogance is not necessary.

18. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Sounds like you might be a victim of the vicious anti-drug propaganda that has permeated the US media for 2 decades.

Do you have any refute for any of his statements? Or did you want to just patronize him and call that an argument?

19. Dark Matter

LMFAO

I am 41 years old! No joke, no lie. Fact. I was born in Alnwick, Northumberland on July 8, 1962 and started smoking cigarettes when I was 11.

I have been smoking cannabis/hash since I moved to London in 1978, but not on a daily basis - or even that regularly to be honest. I have trie (and occasionally still use) most drugs - with the exception being those derived from opium and drugs such as crack, Angel Dust etc.

I am not, and never have been, addicted to anything other than Nicotine.

20. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Sorry DM, but you will never see me being positive on something with is simply liable to increase the number of drug users.

Plus, do not forget that though they may have lowered the classification of it to a class 'C', they have actually increased the penalties that are associated with the possession of all class 'C' drugs.

So, they giveth with one hand, yet taketh away with the other.