Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

#12 of 49

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nightfish, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

#12 of 49

Well, a few moments ago my latest creation made it through the game. This time it's Dalariath the Golemmancer who brings me to a total of 12 with 37 remaining for my septuple sept. Whee!

Yes, he used RTB's FE Mod, all my chars do. In the light of recent events I wasn't sure if he'd be welcome here. I still figured I'd post him and see what people say instead of just vanishing. If you chose to turn this thread into a clone of farting_bob's guardian thread... so be it.

Anyway, here's some pictures to look at and later on some yadayada on the char:

Stats & Inventory (melee gear)
    [​IMG]

Skills - Summon
    [​IMG]

Skills - Curses
    [​IMG]

Skills - P&B
    [​IMG]

Might Merc
    [​IMG]

The Golem
    Well, as you might see from the stats and stuff this isn't your average golemmancer. This one actually use the golem to deal damage directly rather than rely on iron maiden to do that. For that purpose I used a lot of the high end set and unique weapons I had.

Stuff I lost along the way includes but is not limited to: exceptional bonesnap & steeldrivers, 4 IK Mauls, 2 Ethereal Edges, 2 Windhammers, 3 Bonehews. Mostly I lost the golem due to carelessness and slow reflexes vs iron maiden. He doesn't really get killed any other way. With >6.5k life in hell that's not surprising.

Interestingly, I stopped losing stuff in hell and only need a total of 2 iron golems there. An IK Maul which I lost in mid act 2 and another windhammer which is still going strong. Kills stuff in about 2 hits.

The Build
    Originally my plan was to melee along with my troops. Good old ribcracker, angelic trio and demon limb should help there. Also vamp gaze & SoE. And I actually did that for most of nightmare, especially when levelling for hell. But in hell it wasn't really useful for questing. Stuff just died too fast to my minions and using CE was more effective. I did melee all the important battles, though. All the act bosses and the ancients namely. Also vs lister because my troops (both of them) got stunned too much and would have died.

I don't think this guy was every seriously in danger. A couple times it was close when I played in a window while chatting and teleported through the durance of hate for example. Couldn't see the black monsters against the black background. A horde of >20 gloams with a conviction boss (and izual on top of that) in act 4 hell were dicey, too, but my iron golem just wouldn't die even after my merc had long evaporated and got me the corpse I needed to work my magic.

Basic strategy was to just run up to stuff, spam amp and maybe a bit of attract and CE the **** out of everybody. Worked like a charm and this guy is actually an excellent MF character so long as there is no iron maiden.

As always, I've got spare skill points out the wazoo. 15 left at level 83. I almost spent them on lifetap vs the ancients but remembered that Marrowwalk has charges that last for 40 seconds.One was more than enough to kill the old people. Between my golems and my CB and my mercs static field they just went the way of the dodo. Even though 2 of them ganged up on Iggy they couldn't put a dent in him. Go golem!

See the battle here:
    [​IMG]

Gear & Skills:
    Well, most of it is pretty obvious from the pictures. Stuff is what you'd expect it to be. One setup focused on high skills and MF (which was pointless, didn't find anything good), the other on melee. I did use the cheesy marrowwalk bug to beef up bonearmour which helped I guess. Not that I was really in danger without BA since I forgot to cast it frequently and still lived.

The 20 points in fire golem are there too synergise IG, obviously. On a sidenote, I couldn't cast fire golem if I wanted to. Dun have enough mana...

Conclusion:
    A very fun build that turned out a lot better than I feared. Unexpectedly strong and unexpectedly fun, too, and even useful for MF. Though not quite as good as your regular skelliemancer with an iron golem as backup. This is also my 6th Ribcracker Guardian, maybe I can get myself to play a passive zon to complete that sub-sept and have one ribcracker guardian per class.

What's next:
    Well, it's still quite a way to my 49 guardian sept but I've got a lot of chars going, some of them on hold because I got bored or don't have any bright ideas to make them special yet:

- 2h Mauler Bear in Act 1 NM
    - 2h Avenger in Act 5 N
    - Zeal/Hammer Hybrid in Act 1 NM
    - Blizzard Sorc in Act 1 N
    - WW Barb in Act 1 N

and the one I'm most eager to play, yet to be born:
    - Sword Frenzier Barb

I've got such a grand idea for him, he's gonna rule. :D

Well, thanks for reading. :)

2. pointytoe

pointytoe IncGamers Member

congratulations and good luck on the next 37 chars :clap: :clap:

3. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

Congrats Nightfish! You amaze me everything. You make things look so simple! I really like this part "The 20 points in fire golem are there too synergise IG, obviously. On a sidenote, I couldn't cast fire golem if I wanted to. Dun have enough mana...". How much mana do a slvl20 Fire Golem cost? Also, why didn't you max IG first and then go for synergize? I guess it's because of the mana?

I say, go for the passive Amazon so you get your Ribcracker Sept! Maxed Valkyrie is a blast.

Congrats again. If I didn't have so many chars going, I'd try one of these :)

4. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Great work NF :clap: When you announced your 7x7 quest, I thought you were crazy. Now that you are getting closer, I think you are...crazy. ;)

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

:thumbsup:
    Gogo NF! that has to be one of the most expesnive builds ive ever seen, using all those items to keep your golem killing at a nice speed.
    Did you do all of hell in 2 sessions then? or does the golem carry over if you save and exit? because all of hell using a character like that in just 2 sessions must have taken its toll..
    Keep on posting about your guaridans, i for one read all of them.

6. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

Thanks for writing this down and posting it. :)

Congratulations on Dalariath's succesfully completed quest(ing) to becoming a Guardian! :clap: May he join the victory feast with the other Guardians and celebrate his victory to his heart's content!

7. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

Your posts always make me feel like such a n00b :D
    Congratulations.

8. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Congratz Fishy, you are closing in on your goal :clap:

DX

9. Nightfish

Thanks

Thanks man :)

I think FG costs about 320 mana or so. I know I cannot cast it in combat gear. With a few + mana charms I think I could manage. But the cost is still totally ridiculous.

Maxing Iron Golem does nothing for me, I think. Or very little. I still have 15 points so maybe I'll give it a shot. Maxed fire golem for the 6% ED it gives to iron golem. At slvl 20 that is 120% ED for my weapon. Together with might it's around 320% ED so my golem kills at decent speed.

Yeah, maybe, I've got a half decent idea to make her viable.

Maybe some day ;) I'd say my assassin and enchantress were even more fun, though. Stay tuned for the frenzier and the hammerdinhybrid. I think you'll like them too.

edit: Damn people slow down! I can't keep up! Thanks for your replies, though. :D

Bob, iron golem carries over. Did hell in 3 sessions, though.

Sidhe, he'll be getting roaring drunk and will be leering at the female guardians for sure. Let's just hope he doesn't make a move on one of the assassins. They could probably pk him easily... Maybe the amazon would like him better. "Hey handsome, is that your iron golem or are you just happy to see me? :wink2: "

10. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Inssane guardian piles. wtg! :clap:

the "grand idea" for that sword frenzier is a secret? I am totally in love with my sc sword frenzier but i have a hard time imagining that char in HC...even with SC twinkage i die quite a lot. (well, 90% of it is due to FEs, but the remaining 10% would be enough to stop me of getting too far with it in hc)

11. Nightfish

Yes, very secret. :) If you can guess the build and especially teh weapons you win a prize ;) Well, no real prize since I gave my grail away recently but maybe a cookie?

12. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

Omg, you naughty fisheh... :eek:

(come on... you know he'll only get sweet lubbin' from Duriel at the big holiday get togethers... ;) )

13. slappy sam

slappy sam IncGamers Member

Nice job Nightfish! Good luck on your septuple sept. :thumbsup:

14. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

Will do! :) I am actually playing an Axe Frenzier at the moment dual wielding Butcher's Pupil. Will upgrade them later on! Can't wait to see what swords it is your char will use. I'm sure it's something different ;)

15. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Ok, unlikely i can read your strange mind, but for a cookie i need to try...

hmm. some crazy elemental chanche to caster?
    flamebellow/hand of justice, firestormer? ah, wait...you probably don't have a cham.
    hrm. flambellow/hexfire?
    you probably wouldn't call that "great".
    (especially 'coz hexfire wouldn't add to firestorm...which doesn't really do damage...ok, i just dunno', i am not crazy enough)
    (edit/2. actually now that i think about ctc, dual crescent moon might be fun if the -lighting resist stack...probably not what NF thought of, but i wanna try that)
    (i will stop hijacking his thread now...but i am so cuirous of that barb)

guess i will just have to wait and see.

16. Nightfish

Yes, you're nowhere near my level of craziness. ;) At any rate, I had the idea in a similar way as it was with my darksight helm. I found the item again and looked at it. Usually I wouldn't consider using it but I think I'll give it a shot and see how it works. Can't wait to see if it's actually viable. :D

17. Sir Lister of Smeg

Sir Lister of Smeg IncGamers Member

Congratulations. I still need to get my first conqueror, let alone guardian.

Next project is the frenzybarb I assume? Or first writing the ultimate ribcracker guide?

Which version of the mod do you use btw, the no damage or reduced damge one with or without red rune mod and/or cattle net runewords?

18. Repusz

Repusz IncGamers Member

Congrats, this is one cool char there :clap: Now I am more convinced to try one than ever before (been thinking of doing a pure curse + IG necro in HC).
    And my guess for your frenzier weapons:
    Plague Bearer.
    That or upgraded Rixxot's Keen(s)! :lol:

Repusz

19. Nightfish

Thanks you two :)

Frenzybarb it is, ribcracker is easy: Just swing hard and pick up the pieces. :D

I use the 0% FE Mod just because I don't know exactly how bugged hell ancients stay on players 8 with the reduced one. I like to take 'em on 8 with some heavily twinked builds. And I figured if I was gonna "taint" myself I might as well do it right. I've also got the red runes and the battle net runewords but I use the last one rarely.

Repusz, good luck on your necro if you do start him. Imo it's definetly one of the easier builds but you need to be somewhat rich in items. Being unable to trade I had a fair surplus I could burn. Still have this baby waiting for my golem to die:

Windhammer
    Ogre Maul
    Two-Hand Damage: 340 to 470
    +196% Enhanced Damage
    60% Increased Attack Speed
    150% Damage to Undead
    50% Chance of Crushing Blow
    33% Chance to cast Level 22 Twister on striking
    Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

20. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

Well done, Nightfish!

I've always thought that IG looked like a pretty nice companion. Good luck on the other rest!