Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1000 Andy runs vs 1000 Meph runs: comparison of unique jewelry and runes

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by zticazzy, Mar 29, 2015.

1. zticazzy

zticazzy IncGamers Member

I like to run bosses, I like it a lot. Normally just for vengeance (see: loot), but this time I did it for science!
    I ran my barb in search of some particular pieces of jewerly I needed. My targets, in particular, were Highlords, SoJs, HRs, and in general everything worth keeping. I knew bugged Andariel was an excellent target for my purposes here, but I never ran her extensively and I usually ended up sticking to Mephisto, so this time I decided to kick both their asses to see the true difference between their drops in 2000 total runs. :cool:

Character
    Geert, lvl 91 untwinked vanilla WW barb. His gear for this project is mostly a mix of MF and offensive items.
    - helm: Arreat's with Meph, perf IK Helm + 2ptopaz with Andy from run 300 on (0-**%mf), the mf difference is hardly noticeable though
    - weapons: 2 Heaven's Light, both socketed Amn + Shael (0%mf). Good damage, 33% CB, and I love that thud sound they make too much to ever consider changing weapons atm :)
    - on switch: Heart Carver and Gull (100%mf), one to help horking pack bosses and the other as extra mf boost those rare times when the merc was finishing off the bosses
    - armor: eth Skullder's (113%mf)
    - gloves: Chance Guards (40%mf)
    - belt: upped Goldwrap (30%mf)
    - boots: War Travelers (47%mf)
    - amulet: rare with resists and mf (19%mf)
    - rings: Ravenfrost and rare with mana leech, resists and mf (11%mf)
    - charms: Gheeds, mf SCs, resists charms (total: 77%mf)

Merc: Act 2 might moron equipped with eth Reaper's, Andy's and Tal's Armor for an extra **%mf.

Total %mf: 337 (Meph) / 425 (Andy), up to 525 / 613 when the merc was giving the last hit.

Game settings
    1.13, p1, SP, hell. I tried to do p3 but my char is too weak right now to kill bosses in a reasonable amount of time.

Tactics
    Nothing special to say here. I didn't have an ammy with tele charges so I rolled some good maps and ran a lot. Sometimes I popped chests and tombs as well while running. With Andy, I reached her chamber then waited for the moron to catch me up / teleport and cast decrep on her. Same with Meph, I jumped over the portal and popped the superchest behind him, then the merc teled and we killed Meph together. The hardest part was to lead the merc to attack the boss instead of other random monsters, hence the label "moron". I normally avoided other fights, but boss packs around Meph and Andy were always killed during the process.

Results

[​IMG]

As you can see, no Highlords or SoJs for me :( the Diablo Gods were probably displeased at my stubbornness. Andy proved to be almost 4 times more likely to drop unique jewelry, especially Gheeds. I was really surprised by the distribution of Andy's unique amulets: they were all obtained in the first half, mostly in the first 200 runs. In the second part, no golden ammy ever dropped from her. EVER. Meph too was more likely to drop unique jewelry in the first 500 runs. I don't really understand if I was lucky in the first part, unlucky in the second part, or both. I also had tons of green ammies, but I didn't bother record all the drops, let's just say I found 1 Tal's ammy, 2 Telling of Beads, and many many others that I forgot.
    Fortunately I had some decent runes too: Mal from random monster nearby Andy, Ist from Andy, Lo from Meph. Andy was particularly inclined to drop mid level runes: I got 3 Lems, 1 Fal, 3 Ko and 1 Lum from her. Anyway, considering the amount of runes dropped, these results are pretty much on average.
    Other noticeable drops:
    - Andy: Torch of Iro (rarest), Cerebus' Bite, Heaven's Light (+3skills, 2os), 2 Treks, Occy, Homunculus, 2 Leorics, 2 Vamp gazes, 2 Wartravs, several Guardian Angels, Tgods, Shaftstops, Vipermagis, Wizzys... and a Shako from a random boss!
    - Meph: Eaglehorn (rarest), Hand of Broc, Gull, Gnasher, Demonhorn's, Andy's, Shako, 2 Leorics (for a total of 4 Leorics, it's enough RNG ty), Occy, Valkyrie Wing (+2skills), Jalal's, Ribby, Kira's, Gores, 5 Corpsemourns (why??), 2 Vipermagi, and lots of other stuff.

Conclusions
    I can only repeat what has already been said in the past on this forum: Andy is a good source of amulets, rings and Gheeds, and I recommend to run her in case you're looking for a specific item among her drops. With a bit of luck (which I didn't have), you should be able to get what you want. In all other cases, Meph is better and gives the chance to obtain higher level items that Andy can't drop.

Thank you for your attention! :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    RickH and Pb_pal like this.
  2. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Congrats on the haul! That's a lot of runs! It really puts the rarity of SoJ in perspective, yikes.

Good writeup and nice chart. Whirling with dual Heaven's Light sure is stylish. =)

zticazzy likes this.
  3. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

Oh jesus... so let's reiterate this...

With untwinked teleportless barb that has damage of a nail clipper using dual heaven's lights, you did 1000 runs to both of those bosses. All that while having sound ON. I can't even imagine effort and balls required to do such quest.

You deserved +10 to penis size hands down.
    Also, all your essences belong to me.

Shame that best drops kinda eluded you but RNG can be evil sometimes.
    If you decide to do something like this again, good method of getting merc to attack target is to open town portal on top of a boss, enter portal and go back to boss with merc on top of him (I mean aside from usual mainstream ways like...teleport? :p).

4. zticazzy

Nah man, sound was off and I listened to a lot of music.
    btw Andy once dropped 3 essences in one shot, the entire place was filled with those.

5. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

My favorite part was when you didn't try to make "a lot" into one word. :p

But seriously good work, and the best part is that you did it because you enjoy it! Style points galore!

6. Interdasting

Interdasting IncGamers Member

Wow. 2,000 boss runs and no SoJ or Highlord. For shame, Lords of Hell.
    Thank you for recording the data and presenting it here. Supporting conclusions with more information never hurt anybody, and it just helps us all.

/tiphat to you, sir. Well done. (Also Classic represent!)

7. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Could you estimate how long it takes you to kill Meph once and Andy once with that method of running and that kind of barb? I assume this quest took at least 70 hours (no tele, low damage, merc behind you, killing stuff around as well as boss...) to complete all this, but I'm curious how much off is my estimation. That is MFO type of effort, and considering what targets you ran, definitely insane. Congratz on that nice work one way or another.

I personally never considered Andy to be worth running for anything (especially not nightmare Andy just for SoJ!). A little bit better chances for jewelry is not worth it while at the same time Meph drops all those + much better stuff too.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  8. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

non tele boss runs? wat

9. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

I think the Diablo gods are displeased with the fact that you stopped after only 1K runs. ;) Though i must admit that running with the gear that you have partially makes up for it.

10. zticazzy

About 1:10 per run to kill andy, 0:50 to kill meph, total 34 hours estimate for the whole project (maybe something more).
    Yeah, meph is good, I consider him my personal extra stash :D but I wanted to try something different this time. Also, I ran NM Andy with a sorc in the past, and I found 2 or 3 SoJs, so it's a good target if you're only after those rings, but it's my just crazy point of view.

11. Gripphon

Is that 1:10 and 0:50 with using run-coutner to test, or is that your free assumption from experience? I ask because it takes me ~40 seconds to kill Meph p1 with not untwinked HC sorc on a 3 teleport map with blizzard and using static field ignoring anything else there is.

12. zticazzy

I was monitoring my run times using a run counter (Silospen). Believe it or not, 0:50 with my barb is perfectly doable, some rare times even in 43 secs. I only casted BO, and the entrance to durance 3 was just in the room next to the waypoint.

13. Gripphon

I do believe you. I tested the thing by putting Heaven's Lights on my teleporting barb who had 2k ar with them, and Meph p1 was down in 30-35 secs, so I assume with proper AR and stuff and great map it really is doable to kill Meph that fast with running barb. lolMeph so weak.

zticazzy likes this.
  14. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

15. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

I enjoyed this post - brought me back to my earlier D2 days. I can sympathize with your crazy point of view, as I built a pure fire sorc just for this purpose (to find SOJ - NM andy is the best target for that ring).

zticazzy likes this.
  16. zticazzy

Dual -33% target defense is really helping too. Gotta love those scepters.

Nice thread nulio!