100 Pit Runs @ 562% MF, Results and Analysis

MithrandirX

Diabloii.Net Member
100 Pit Runs @ 562% MF, Results and Analysis

There have been quite a few of these threads posted lately, so I thought I would post my own pit findings with a little analysis to go with them. Here are the basic facts: I did 100 pit runs with my level 83 pure strafeazon, Marabou_Muddler, (she was 87 by the time I was done). I have 562% personal MF (375% from gear + 187% in charms.) My merc, Gulzar, has 206% MF on his own, and I let him kill many of the champions and unique monsters. The game plan was to wayport to the Outer Cloister, and then run to the pits, clearing as I went. Then I would do a COMPLETE sweep of level one before going down to level two and doing the same. I left the “uber chest†until last. (more on that later).

Now, I have noticed that EVERYONE seems to be a lot luckier than me in the pits. This is not a complaint, but just a statement. A previous poster claims to have found a shako and a stormshield in 10 runs. :scratch: Now, I’m not saying that they are lying, but that they are just extremely lucky. It’s been my experience (closing in on 2000 pit / multi-boss mf runs since patch) that the secret to MFing in the pits is patience and perserverance. In these 100 runs, I definitely found some decent gear (IK Armor, Ist, and 3 rainbow facets, for example) but the pits are not exactly the super-unique playground many have made them out to be. The fact is that MF is hard work; you can’t expect to spend an hour at it and come out with a vex rune or a Windforce. Anyway, here are my findings.

Here are the basic statistics:
Rares: 305 total found, averaging 3.05 per run.

Sets: 49 total pieces found, averaging .49 per run.
Best set piece found: IK Armor (1)
Most common set pieces: Berserker hatchet (3), Sigon’s Guard (2), Tancred’s Skull (2)

Uniques: 56 total found, averaging .56 per run.
Best Uniques found: SOJ (1), Shako (1), Eaglehorn (1), Rainbow Facets (3)
Elite Uniques: 7 total found, averaging .07 per run and constituting .140 of total uniques.
Most common uniques: Kinemil’s Awl (3), Rainbow Facet: (3)

Runes: 57 total found, averageing .57 per run.
Best runes found : Ist (1), Lo (1), Pul (2), Dol (1) Amn (2)

The “Uber-Chest:â€
This piece of crap did not provide me with a single rare, set or unique item in 100 runs. It did cough up one Nef rune. I don’t know why I bother with it.

Complete Findings:
1. Scalper, Tal
2. Isenhart’s Lightbrand, Natalya’s Shadow
3. Tancred’s Skull (OC), Athena’s Wrath (OC), Heart Carver
4. Hawkmail, El
5. Wolfhowl, Treads of Cthon, Berserker’s Hatchet
6. Kinemil’s Awl
7. Bonesnap
8. NOTHING
9. Haemosou’s Adamant
10. Tir
11. Endlesshail
12. Cathan’s Mesh
13. Ith (TH), Ral, El
14. NOTHING
15. Vidala’s Barb, 3 Socket Archon
16. Griswold’s Edge
17. Hwannin’s Bill
18. Immortal King’s Helm, Magefist
19. Stone of Jordan (TH), 3 Socket Superior Dusk Shroud
20. El
21. NOTHING
22. Undead Crown
23. Dwarf Star (TH), Duskdeep (TH)
24. Langer Briser
25. Angelic Mantle
26. Hellslayer (Ethereal)
27. 4 Socket Archon, Death’s Touch
28.NOTHING
29. El, Immortal King’s Maul
30. Infernal Sign (OC), Ith (TH)
31.Eld (TH), Eaglehorn
32. El, Dragonscale
33. Berserker Hatchet (TH), Venom Ward
34. Kinemil’s Awl (TH), Rakescar, Nef
35. Rite of Passage (TH), El, Eth, Kinemil’s Awl
36. NOTHING
37. Nef, Stormstrike
38. Boneslayer Blade, Artic Binding, Tir, Ral
39. Isenhart’s Case, Natalya’s Mark, El
40. Tir (TH), Fal
41. Lance of Yaggai
42. Eld
43. Hexfire, 3 Socket superior Dusk Shroud
44. Bladebone (TH)
45. 3 socket Dusk Shroud, Sigon’s Sabot
46. Berserker’s Hatchet (TH), Nef
47. NOTHING
48. Laying of Hands
49. NOTHING
50. NOTHING
51. Io, Thul, Bloodtree Stump, Headhunter’s Glory
52. Howltusk (TH), Skystrike (TH) Eld, Nef, Tancred’s Crowbill
53. Tir, Vidala’s Fetlock
54. El
55. Milabrega’s Diadem (OC), Sigon’s Shelter
56. Tancred’s Weird, Culwen’s Point
57. Blastbark
58. Hellplague, Angelic Sickle
59. Cleglaw’s Pincers, Angelic Halo
60. Eth (TH), Tir
61. Sigon’s Guard
62. Ral
63. NOTHING
64. Infernal Torch (OC), El (TH), El
65. Kinemil’s Awl, Blackbog’s Sharp, Pul
66. Immortal King’s Soul Cage, Sigon’s Guard, Cathan’s Seal, Cleglaw’s Tooth
67. El, Tal, Soulflay, Viperfork, Rainbow Facet
68. Infernal Torch (TH), Shael
69. Arctic Mitts (OC), Sander’s Taboo
70. Tan do Li Flail
71. NOTHING
72. Eld (OC), Fleshrender, Nokozan Relic, Thul
73. Amn
74. NOTHING
75. Rainbow Facet
76. Lo, Tancred’s Crowbill, Minotaur, Kinemil’s Awl
77. Ort, Gavel of Pain, 6 Socket CB
78. Isenhart’s Parry
79. Mavina’s Belt, Hwannin’s Armor
80. Jade Talon, 3 Socket Great Hauberk
81. Ist
82. Fal, Crown of Thieves (Ethereal), Sparking Mail
83. Tir (TH)
84. Tancred’s Helm, Ith
85. Kinemil’s Awl, Rakescar
86. Tal
87. Angelic Halo, Dol, Amn, Tir
**. NOTHING
89. Magefist, Shako, 6 Socket Hydra bow
90. NOTHING
91. Hawkmail, Thul, Cathan’s Seal
92. Rainbow Facet
93. El (OC), Soulfeast Tine (TH), Nef
94. 4-Socket Sacred Armor
95. Sigon’s Helm (TH)
96. Tir, Pierre Tombale Couant
97. Nef (TH), Tir
98. Sigon’s Guard
99. Fetid Spirnkler, Eld, Demon Machine
100. Iratha’s Cuff, Frostburn.

Well, there you have it. In my opinion, a pretty typical 100 runs in the pits: a couple high-mid runes, one really nice set piece and a few useful uniques. What is an average pit run? Well, it’s three or four rares, one set or unique piece, and one rune. Not a heck of a lot different from what Meph drops, in my opinion, but with much better potential. Anyway, I welcome your comments, and wish you all luck.

:drink: Mith

kockblocker1

Diabloii.Net Member
Have you found anything worth keeping on your way to the pit? Are you just doing the Pit and no other area or bosses in your games? Reason I am asking is usually I drop by eldrich and then jump over to the Outer WP when he is done. Its quick, he is easy to kill, and him or his buddys usually activate my mercs aura quickly. Last but not least... How long do your pit runs take on average?

d2 junkie

Diabloii.Net Member
Jeda said:
you call Lo a mid level rune ?!?
As per trading value
My question is your runs where in one player game or multi?
And you have the hell of a lot more patience than me :worship:

MithrandirX

Diabloii.Net Member
kockblocker1 said:
Have you found anything worth keeping on your way to the pit? Are you just doing the Pit and no other area or bosses in your games? Reason I am asking is usually I drop by eldrich and then jump over to the Outer WP when he is done. Its quick, he is easy to kill, and him or his buddys usually activate my mercs aura quickly. Last but not least... How long do your pit runs take on average?
Yes, I do Eldtritch, Shenk and Pindle on every run, but this list it just what I found in the pits and on my way there. A complete Eldritcth/Shenk/Pindle/Pit run takes around 11 minutes, if you are pretty fast. After a couple hundred runs, you start to recognize the Pit configuratoins and can tell where the level two entrance is. That way you can plan your route. Maybe less if the pit ends up being close to the outer cloister. Also, as I noted above, I do COMPLETE pit clearances and kill everything I see and can strafe at in the Outer Cloister, Tamor, Frigid and Bloody. You could definitely hurry it along, but like i said, I like to be thorough.

By the way, for this run (E-S-P-Pits) there is no better char than the strafer, and belive me, I have tried them all. Hammerdin is a good choice too if you can get some fcr on him.

Mith

MithrandirX

Diabloii.Net Member
d2 junkie said:
My question is your runs where in one player game or multi?
And you have the hell of a lot more patience than me :worship:
These were all private games on USWEST. I do MF in public games too, however, I just wanted these runs to be all the same for statistical purposes.

Mith

Slayer193

Diabloii.Net Member
Now some one should do 100 runs with 0% magic find so we can compare to see if mf really makes much of a difference.

Note: i'm too lazy to do it.

luuuucifer

Diabloii.Net Member
What kind of equip do you use for your pit strafazon?
I can easily get up to 400mf with a hammerdin without losing killing power, but i just can't figure out who to do it with a zon...

MithrandirX

Diabloii.Net Member
luuuucifer said:
What kind of equip do you use for your pit strafazon?
I can easily get up to 400mf with a hammerdin without losing killing power, but i just can't figure out who to do it with a zon...
Well, here goes not sure if numbers are exactly right... diiner on the table, lol.

Shako, 74 (ptopaz)
Ammy, 31
goldwrap 30
nagel 30
(other ring is ravenfrost)
skullder's 132 (ptopaz)
war travs, 46
chance guards 32 i think

and 25 x 7 mfsc
and 2 x 6mfsc

Also, I use an ohm windforce mostly. I would have isted the wf if i had known how easy the pits were. I'm not 100% positive, but i think I have about 403 dex and 9100ish AR now, and 120ish vit / 750ish life. This is more than enough for a strafer, and resists are completely irrelevant, since i never get hit. In those 100 runs, I only died once, I think, to a nasty pack of fanatacism / amp damage archers.

The secret of the mf strafer is a huge valk and a pumped might merc. (my merc is also level 87 and uses ethereal amn spire of honor and skullder's/shako). With WF's knockback and raven's cold dam, you can really hit enemies hard and fast and prevent them from messing with your merc. Valk is completely immortal at level 26 / 26 penetrate / 5 decoy. She has over 3000 life and never gets hit. She tanks even the nastiest packs no prob.

With a good merc and valk, the enemies NEVER come anywhere near a strafer, and she can kill SICKLY fast in the pits. One strafe will pretty much clear the screen. sometimes it takes two. My hammerdin is MUCH slower, as he doesn't have enough fcr to pump out those hammers quick enough to kill speedily, even though they do 9k or so. The pitstrafer's a build particularly suited to these kinds of mf runs (pits and shenk / eldritch / pindle) Especially since physical immunity NEVER spawns in the pits (even on unique baddies). I would not reccomend going after meph with this build though... too low resists and not enough life.

Anyway. dinner time.

Mith

Choogy

Diabloii.Net Member
Of course, there could always be the question of too much mf...
And he said USWest, private games

He already said he did them in private games. I agree now you should do 100 runs without mf now hehe :thumbsup: grats on doin this though, least someone finds stuff there.

Sessily

Diabloii.Net Member
RUN ONE : Shadowfang,
RUN TWO : Charm (12 mana , 3% MF)
RUN THREE : Rite of Passage
RUN FOUR : Infernal's Sign,
RUN FIVE : Nothing
RUN SIX : Small Charm (7% MF, +5 defense) -Etheral Kira's Guardian (Unique Tiara)
RUN SEVEN : The Chieftan
RUN EIGHT : Nightsmoke
RUN NINE : Executioner's Justice, Sigon's Viser, Angelic Halo
Run TEN : Nothing.
Run ELEVEN : Undead Crown, Gleamsythe
Run TWELVE : Spellsteel, Angelic Halo
Run THIRTEEN : Io Rune
Run FOURTEEN : Duskdeep
Run FIFTEEN : Nothing
Run SIXTEEN : Nothing
Run SEVENTEENTH : Nothing

Went ciap to do Pindleskin runs after that. Executioner's Justice was a great find, but that was the epiphany of my luck.

SnowDrake

Diabloii.Net Member
Am I the only one with no luck in the pits? I've never found a rune even worth keeping, much less one such as ist or lo, or even pul.

I've done rougly 40-50 pit runs in games ranging from 4-8 players (doing shenk and eldritch everytime as well) and the only 4 items I've found of note are BK Myth sword, Doombringer, 27% Death's Fathom, and Andy's Visage....

Oh, that golden chest sucks. It seems to drop uniques in spurts. Of those 40-50 pit runs I've done, 2 times has anything not white or not blue dropped. Once, 3 uniques dropped, the other time 2 uniques...

Enh, odd, I have like 400 mf...

I'd post results, except that I do my runs in random public games, so the number of players varies, thus leading to not very consistant data....

Edit: Oh I just wanted to add, of those 4 items I found, 2 are from Eldritch (or one of his minions... not like it makes a difference) The andy's and the doombringer were from eldritch... Damn pits....

BongRipper420

Diabloii.Net Member
SnowDrake said:
I've done rougly 40-50 pit runs in games ranging from 4-8 players (doing shenk and eldritch everytime as well) and the only 4 items I've found of note are BK Myth sword, Doombringer, 27% Death's Fathom, and Andy's Visage....
Oh man 40-50 pit runs and you bag a 27% Death [email protected]#? I am ten times more jealous of you than of the other guys who got tal armor two times in a row on their 4th and 5th pit run. That find is awesome man, congratulations.

Orodreth

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok this seems like the place...

to post my list of items aquired from the pits as well...

Using a sorc blizz/FW with a holy freeze merc. 482%MF with an additional 96% on my merc and I let him do the killing as much as possible. I take the WP to OC and tele down the road to the pit entrance killing averything that comes along the way there. I clear lvl 1 of the pits before going into lvl2 where i clear everything and then i open the crappy chest. These runs are made on Europe Ladder in private games only. ok here goes

1 :Bartucs Cut Throat + Great Poleaxe of Alacrity
2 :TIR(TH) + Ripsaw + ETH
3 :ETH + Steelgoad + Cathan's Visage
4 :Hexfire(TH) + Isenhart's Parry(TH) + Isenharts Case + Stormspire
5 :Spirit Shroud + Bloodtree Stump + TIR
6 :EL
7 :Gleamscythe(TH) + Irathas Cuff + TAL
8 :-
9 :The Chieftain + Tancreds Crowbill + AMN
10:-
11:RAL(TH) + Islestrike
12.Bul Khatos Sacred Charge + Demon Limb + THUL
13.Goreshovel + Blacktongue + Isenharts Lightbrand + Cathans Seal
14.Magnus Skin + Gimmershred
15.Irathas Cord + Cathans Seal + Razors Edge
16.Sanders Taboo + 1 skill necro amu w. good stats
17.-
18.Face of Horror(TH)
19.Tancreds Crowbill + ITH
20.Bezerkers Hauberk
21.-
22.Milabregas Orb + SHAEL + EL
23.-
24.Duriels Shell(OC)
25.-
26.Soulflay(TH) + SOL
27.-
28.Sparkling Mail(TH) + Dark Adherent + Boneflesh
29.Vidalas Barb(OC) + Immortal Kings Pillar(OC) + ITH
30.Cleglaws Tooth + EL + Cathans Seal + Immortal Kings Stone Crusher
31.Etheral Edge + Tancreds Crowbill
32.Tancreds Crowbill + TAL
33.Infernal Torch(TH) + Blood Crescent
34.Eth Bezerker Axe 6 sockets + Sigons Sabot
35.EL + EL
36.Sigons Gage + ELD + NEF
37.Arctic Horn(TC)
38.The Jade Tan Do
39.Tancreds Spine(TH) + Stormstrike
40.Milabregas Robe + Magefist + Griswolds Valor
41.Sanders Taboo(TH) + Tearhaunch
42.EL
43.Rockfleece
44.Wyrmhide Boots w good stats
45.-
46.-
47.Islestrike
48.-
49.-
50.TAL + Raven Claw

thats it... only managed 50 runs so far whilst keeping track of the drops. No luck with runes as some of the others...