Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

100 Pindelskin runs.

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by ZeN, Mar 16, 2005.

1. ZeN

ZeN Diabloii.Net Member

100 Pindelskin runs.

Hi.

I know that you guys love all kinds of statistics and results, so this is my humble contribution.

I have made 100 Pindelskin runs just to see if he is that bad.

Config----------------------------

SP
    Char: Pure Cold Blizzard Sorc
    Level: 87 - ** ( level up on 67th run )
    Equipment:

Shako with PTopaz ( 74% MF )
    Rare amulet ( 34% MF )
    Skulder's Ire with PTopaz ( 134% MF )
    Occulus ( 50% MF )
    Milabrega's ( 20% MF )
    Nagel ring ( 30% MF )
    Magic ring ( 32% MF )
    Chance Guards ( 40% MF )
    Goldwrap ( 30% MF )
    Magic boots ( 35% MF )
    Cold GC with +25 life
    Cold GC
    Gheed's ( 40% MF )
    Various MF chars
    Total MF: 596%
    Merc: Holy freeze 87 - ** ( Shaftstop, Reaper, Vampire Gaze )

PLayers setting: 8

Results----------------------------

Rares: 125 ( not one worth keeping )
    Magic: didn't keep count but nothing good at all
    Uniques: Pomepii's Wrath, Venom Ward, Langer Briser, Ravenfrost, Lance of Yaggai, Bonehew
    Sets:Vidala's Fetlock, Trang-Oul's Claws, Tancred's Spine
    Magic jewels: 1
    Rare jewels: 2
    SC: 1 ( 100 poison damage, +2 dex )
    LC: 1 ( +19 to mana )
    GC: 1 ( 13% GF )
    Runes: 2 Tir, Amn, Thul, Eth, Ith
    Gems: 6 Flaweless
    Experience gained: 1 Full level ( from 87 and 1/3 to ** and 1/3 )

Gold: 2Mil

I'd say - pathetic.

2. mxxerr

mxxerr Diabloii.Net Member

I agree.

I have been doing Pindelskin run since January, and about 4 or 5 run per day. Only found 2 low level uniques and some junk set items.

3. QuicksandSlowly

QuicksandSlowly Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, it just seems like Meph and Andy (the easist ones) can drop more good stuff. Even though Pindle can drop everything, and he's fairly close, he isn't really profitable if you're doing it yourself. Pindle is perfect for bots tho, lol.

4. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

Pindle is easy and quick... that's about all he has going for him. If you feel lazy run Pindle if you feel like stacking up on Grandfathers run Baal:) That said when you finally find that sweet sweet golden Legendary Mallet, all those runs seems perfectly worth it.

5. Thrugg

Thrugg Diabloii.Net Member

You need to run Pindle in the thousands of times to expect good things from him, not just 100 and certainly not just 4 or 5.

Pindle's appeal is not supposed to be that he drops lots of great stuff, it is that he can drop the very highest stuff. You can run Meph and Andy 1000000 times and I can tell you right now how many Windforces and Death Cleavers you will see.

Baal can drop those too but it is a much much harder run. Plus the map changes for Baal but not Pindle. Pindle is for the patient player, or those who have already got everything Meph can drop. If you are new to the game or have a short attention span, you should stick to Meph.

6. ZeN

ZeN Diabloii.Net Member

I am most definetly not new to the game nor I am impatient. The thing is - how many of those MFers will do Pindle more than 200 times with these discouraging drops?

I thought that i might find out that he is not that bad. Well, the only thing i have found is that he is statistically firm and consitent.

7. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

I've done thousands of pindleruns, and I am only lacking 15-20 items of the uniques. Got all the sets too (not griswold shield and not sander cap, and not cow set) and pindle drop them all the time. I do pindle runs when I'm tired, since it's a "autopilot-run". Countess is that way too, you have to do thousands of runs, but it DOES pay off.

Next, try to do 100 pit runs, and see if you get more good uniques. Might be harder to do them with that gear setup, but ancient tunnels or mausoleum should be easy.

Another thing with pindle; you can have 900+ MF and STILL kill him quick as nothing. Merc could even have MF on him and survive (eth toomb reaver AmnAmnAmn is a good help for that).

8. Thrugg

At 600 MF Pindle should be coughing up a unique around one every 15 runs, which is pretty much what you saw. The TC distribution for Pindle is fairly flat, in the sense that he isn't much less likely to drop elite compared to exceptional or normal. The main difference is that since not every elite item type has a unique version, he'll often drop a failed elite unique (which sucks indeed). So you expect an elite unique maybe every 90 runs.

My Pindle running has always been with a barb with maxed FI - brings that down to one every 60 runs because you get 50% more items per run on average.

9. helvete

Doesn't FI have vastly diminishing returns? Also, can you do runs as quickly as a coldsorc? Do you use Grim Ward to chase off his minions and the sleepers?

10. Thrugg

The Barb vs Sorc (vs LFZon) argument for best Pindlerunner has been around since 1.09. Of course, in 1.09 it was trivial to kill him so it really did come down to travel speed.

I've never been any good at playing sorcs so I really can't compare objectively. However, they need to be able to do the run nearly 50% faster than the barb to keep up the item rate, and that seems hard to me. Barbs also get Natural Speed. You spend a good 30% of each run just jogging from restart point to the portal, and nothing helps there except FRW.

You do burn a little extra time horking, but it is clearly superior in terms of items/second than not doing so. I ignore the sleepers and whirlwind the whole Pindlepack, and hork them all (usually only takes a few seconds). There is some added risk that with more items falling you will miss one, but there is even room to factor that in.

FI diminishes quickly but a Whirler usually has spare points. You can get FI to 50% pretty easily (slvl 18, so maybe 12 hard points +gear).

There is certainly more risk running with a melee char of any kind. I did not have much success with my 1.09 whirler brought forward. But an IK Barb runs through Pindle (and almost everything else) like butter, you don't even need to worry about PI or LE. You do have to watch for Mana Burn though and be prepared to chug potions. But potions are no problem in Pindleville.

11. derekdoo

derekdoo Banned

rwerwerw eat bacon live forever

12. Singollo

Singollo Diabloii.Net Member

pindleskin is worth running to, and i add him in all my runs but i just dont run pin. i start with act 5 running pin, thresh, eld, shank, then meph then countress then the pit. the runs take more time but i dont think it dose a lot with the drops then if i was runningjust pindle or others = to pindle.

now for witch character is best, mf barb or sorc? IMO thay are the same and have use in defferent areas.

barbs are good for targets like pindle, council (best mf area for barbs i find) and other areas where the FI skill can be used. mfbarbs with maxed FI are very nice and barbs are easy to surviver with, thats if you dont take on more then you can handle.

sorc are good for getting to and killing bosses fast and often faster then any other character can. teleport, static, and hhigh dmg skills like meteor and blizzard, ensure the sorc will always have mf use. she can run bosses only and have good drops happening a lot. full powered blizzard can take meph down faster then any other method i have seen. then we have duel tree sorc like orb/meteor is good sorc build for solo running and open up more targets then the blizzard build or other one tree build.

i have both and use then a lot, i can say the barb is a lot of fun with mf partys of few other friends, thay kill and you hork. :)

13. helvete

Yes, well... The only problem I see is killing pindle with as much MF as the sorc... But I heard of a method that may (or may not) work very well:

1: Run through the portal, and to the sleeper at the stairs (or close to them)
    2: Use Grim Ward on him
    3: Watch all the monsters run away EXCEPT for Pindleskin
    4: Alone, he's hardly dangerous to anyone. Even merc could kill him.
    5: Hork the bastard when he's dead
    6: Pick up anything you want, and repeat

Now that could allow for a LOT more MF on the barb, since much less defensive gear would be needed to survive the whole group charging you.

When it comes to sorcs, they rarely use their feet, only in town where they can't teleport. Besides, they have no problem with killing the whole group thanks to Blizzard and Glacial Spike. (and the merc, ofcourse)

14. slappy sam

slappy sam Diabloii.Net Member

Wow you got nice drops. I run him with my blizzard sorc with 900 mf and I get a unique or set about 1/100 runs... Sigh.

15. Emerald Dragon

Emerald Dragon Diabloii.Net Member

The reason why there is so much hype on pindle is because its the best target for bots.

If you had to run around in a durance or something that changes every time like meph, pindle would be a LOT less popular, since bots probably suck at that.

Who the heck is gonna sit down and do 100 pindle runs with crappy drops?

I get sick of meph runs after about 6-7 runs if he doesnt drop something I like. I'd rather duel than grope around durance lvl 2 looking for the stairs 100 times.

16. electricblue

electricblue Diabloii.Net Member

I made a test back in 1.09 with about 30.000 pindle runs. Maybe I can repeat it nowadays and post the results?

17. helvete

How much exp did you get for that back when? If you do 500 runs a day, that would still take two months.

18. Masas

Masas Diabloii.Net Member

Err, 100 runs? IMHO you need to run him 500-1000 times to get some Real drops. Try leveling a character from level 82 to level 92 on /players 1 pindleskin, then say he drops bad. And, for the number of runs you did the results are pretty good. Yesterday I did around 250 pindle runs and got nothing worth keeping.
    In the SPF, when MFO happens people do Thousands of Pindle runs, Thousands of Meph and Baal runs. You can't just do 2 or 3 runs and say that Meph drops nothing.
    [brag_mode] I, as the winner of Meph category of the last MFO, must say that you need to do thousands of runs to get good items (I think I did around 1 kay Meph runs during the MFO week)[/brag_mode]
    If you want to get rich, you have to do a lot of runs.

19. ZeN

ZeN Diabloii.Net Member

The "pathetic" comment i have used is comparison wise.
    100 Meph runs would net you much better results for your time investment.

I guess it depends on what are you looking for... And the fact that Pindle drops 2 items doesn't help either.

20. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

As this is SP I am quite surprised. I have firmly believed for a long time that repetitive runs on the realms are MF nerfed.

BTW That's a nice SC at least.
    My first Pindle kill this ladder - 233ed/4os set Caduceus. Nothing better since other than flawless gems. Now what are the odds on the first run of that ?

Why Milabrega's instead of Rhyme ?