Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1 pt Smiter questions/check my build and gear

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Stormcryer, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Stormcryer

Stormcryer Diabloii.Net Member

1 pt Smiter questions/check my build and gear

Ok to begin wit I followed the build guide for the 1pt smiter. Here's where I am so far (Note I've only got an anni on this one; no + skillers so my + skills bonus = 1;

Lvl 87 (All quests completed)

Skills (with +skills factored in)
    Sacrifice = 21
    Zeal = 21
    Holy Shield = 21
    Fanatacism = 21
    Defiance = 9

(Note I deviated slightly from the build and placed 1 in Cleansing and 1 n thorns for early game play and for late leveling in baal runs)

My gear (from the head down)
    Helm = Guilliaume's Face (Socketed w Um) = 15 Res
    Ammy = Metalgrid = 32 Res
    Armor = Fort Great Hauberk (Def 1509) Res = 27
    Weap One = Grief PB (Dam 351)
    Sheild One = 4 Socketed Sacred Rondache with 4 pdiamond Res = 120
    Weap Two = Light Sabre (Will switch to CTA for pre-buffig when doing ubers)
    Sheild Two = (low level junk) Superior Aerin (Res **) Suggestion here??
    Gloves = Draculs (7% LL)
    Ring One = Rare 9 Min Dam/ 70 Ar/39 Life/7 Max Stam/All res 11/Magic DR 2
    Belt = Thundergods
    Ring Two = Raven Frost (238/15/40)
    Boots = Upped Gores (190)
    Anni = 12/20/5

The + res on this build = 225

My Def = 14562 w 75% blocking (of course due to HS)
    Life = 1364
    Mana = 202
    Str = 191 (base is 150 bit there was a lot from items and a few charms)
    Dex = 149 (again lost of + to this from items and charms)
    Vit = 307
    Ene = 27

My chance for CB on this build is only 50% 15 from Boots 35 from helm.

Here's what's bugging me. When I activate HS then swtich left skill to Fanatacism with rght skill = Smite the LCS (Lying Character screen) says Smite Damage 685-870:shocked:

Is this build mini and uber ready?

The damage looks a little light to me.

Also I watched several "videos" of guys running smiters againt the ubers and there seems to an endless way to run them. One was switching armor and weapons and dong a bunch of pre-buffing (including standing in a fire to activate some sort of fade :scratch:) while another just ran in and started smiting to all he was worth. Is there a "best" way to run the minis and ubers with the gear I'm using?

Now that this one is almost ready (I hope) I was planning on running the minis tomorrow night to get the organ set, and them running the ubers for my fiist time either later that evening or the next.

Would it be easier to clear the mobs around the minis using my lvl 91 Hammerdin, then bring in the smiter for the boss?? As I've never seen the minis or the ubers, I'm not sure what to expect. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advace,

Storm

2. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath Diabloii.Net Member

Re: 1 pt Smiter questions/check my build and gear

The damage is going to "look" small on the character screen... It lies... Grief's damage is bugged, and doesn't calculate into what you really can do... Kill something, and you'll see...

Also, when fighting the ubers, you damage output isn't really the factor so much as the crushing blow is for a good part of the fight... So, don't worry about that too much... Your gear looks fine, however, I'd recomend having a life tap wand for getting the jump on bosses... Waiting for Drac's to proc can be life and death sometimes... Your skills look great, but you may eventually want a point in Salvation for when fighting Meph... However, prebuffing with Fade from Trechery (which is the armor that was being switched in the video for standing in the fire) will do nearly the same thing, with the added advantage of being able to run Fanat...

Durial should be right near the portal, and you shouldn't have to kill anything to get to him... Lillith can be a pain because those Vile Witches can hit really hard, and they are tightly packed... They could be a problem... But, not a huge problem... Izzy's level will be needing the aid of that hammerdin... IM is this character's bane...

*Requiem_Death

3. Stormcryer

Thanks.

Some follow ups;

I read that you cannot open a TP from Trist, dos the same rule apply to the mini areas? I was thinking of running the minions with the Hammer, then opeing a TP for the smiter to take over once the near the boss.

Just wondering if this is going to be one of those run one character then exit and bring the other in, or if I can get away with having both chars in the game with one idling in town.

When it comes to the minions around Izzy, are they stronger than the usualy minions.

The hammerdin is a fully developed and fully geared lvl 91 (hammers hit a 14K), so I'm expecting (hoping actually) that he should be able to handle Lillith's minions with an ilder sitting back in town. I mean if he can handle Baals minions in a 8 player game.....

As to the Life Tap wand, I take I can shop one of those, I have a Lower Res wand that was for running the the D Clone with my hammer, but I donlt have a Life Tap one yet.

4. Yacoby

Yacoby Diabloii.Net Member

You can open TPs in miniuber land
    My smiter (who was worse that yours) managed to to it with 2 people in the game. Once lifetap kicks in, you can usally kill the boss without to much problem

To be honest, I never noticed. My 10k hammerdin had no problems with them.

As before, my 10k hammerdin does it, but he takes a beating doing it, last time I had to drink arround 4 purples IIRC.

I think you can, but someone will have to clarify that

5. DayDream

DayDream Diabloii.Net Member

I'm seeing smiters use enigma more recently as they can just skip minions and head right for the boss. I recommend enigma!

I also never noticed as I always block or have them lifetapped but I've heard they do more damage and have more life.

Yep, you can shop a life tap wand.

6. dabeas

dabeas Diabloii.Net Member

well, the minions around izzy aren't too bad, except for the im part oc, but it the hell temptresses on ur way to lilith that can really mess u up. those guys have a lot of life, and the unique ones can really pour out the damage.

7. Stormcryer

So using my gear set up as a reference;

Seeing how I'm not likely to need the Lightsabre at all (it was there for lightning absorb when baaling -I HATE BURNING SOULS) I should equip a Life Tap Wand, with a second high res shield on weap 2 and make a cheap Treachery for pre-buff? (I've got tonnes of 3os light weight armor kicking around on mules, and the runes are no problem))

The run would go something like this:
    1)Create Game and PERM it
    Maybe do the key runs/mf Mep/Diablo/Baal with the Hammerdin

Minis
    1) Open Portal and Enter with Hammerdin
    2) Pre-buff with CTA
    3) Clear out minions (if needed)
    4) Open TP Switch to Smiter
    5) Pre-buff with CTA (and Treachery??)
    6) Approach boss
    7) Weap Switch to weap Two and cast Life Tap
    8) Weap Switch back to Grief
    Smite on left skill, Fanatacism on right Skill (Pre-set for Weap One)
    9) Wail away until death do us part
    10 ) Grab organ dropped
    11) Get the hell out of Dodge

Rinse and Repeat for the other minis

Ubers (Leave Hammerdin at home)
    1) Open Portal and Enter with Smiter
    2) Pre-buff with CTA (and Treachery??)
    3) Approach boss (which one first??)
    4) Weap Switch to Weap Two and cast Life Tap
    5) Weap Switch back to Grief
    Smite on left skill, Fanatacism on right Skill (Pre-set for Weap One)
    6) Wail away until death do us part
    7) Rinse and repeat until all three are gone
    8) Grab torch and get the hell out of dodge.

Now the new questions:

Would the steps described above work for each scenario?

Should I use the same game as I did for collecting the organs for Uber Trist, or create and perm a new game for the UT run?

What is the usual order for killing the ubers? (for example Mehh/Baal/Diablo)

Note:
    I could go Enigma (Obviously I've got one on my Hammerdin) but I already inversted in a Fort and want to get something out of the investment; besides I'm gettting bored teleporting around everything, I built this one to fight, not run :laugh:)

Thanks again for all your help.

Storm

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  8. Hello Jim

Hello Jim Diabloii.Net Member

why when you say tele people jump on enigma?
    you can have naj's staff/charges ammy.
    but again, having an hdin tele next to the mini uber is the best imo.

meph is always first since it has the annoying conviction aura. after, it doesn't matter. i usually kill D, but i've seen people kill Baal because of his annoying mana drain.

i don't like 2nd life tap wand. i've never 1 ko'ed so imo that why i have juvie sin my belt.

first time i ubered i had a trouble soloing. i couldn't handle the tons of monsters between me and the Ubers. so i called up my hdin friend and he helped me clear out so mobs and tought me how to lure meph and dia away from their monsters. maybe that's just me, but if you're going safe that a great way to be sure you won't get swamped.

9. Stormcryer

Question....

Where the best place to shop for a Life Tap Wand?

Forget it, Ormus just coughed up a (Level 5 Life Tap...97 Charges) quickest 1/4 million in gold I've ever spent.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  10. Alc

Alc Diabloii.Net Member

Treachery plus turn on Salvation.
    The reason you need the above is because Mephisto's aura will ruin your resists unless they're very highly stacked. So, kill him first. You can reliably draw him out by approaching the left-hand edge of the village. Once he's dead, switch back to Fana. You might be ok without Salvation, but for the first run I'd keep it on. If you can keep calm enough, watch your resists in the character screen and switch between Salvation/Fanaticism while you're fighting Mephi.
    Your choice. Personally I've not had any crashes recently when opening in the same game, but before I had crashes before when I had opened a new game for UT (was down to the Firestorm procs on a pala torch, doesn't look like you're using one anyway). It doubles the length of the run so I tend not to, but this is your first time so err on the side of caution if you like.
    Mephisto first, the other two are more difficult to separate and it's not really necessary to do so anyway, especially with your gear.

11. Stormcryer

[QUOTE=Alc;6344923]
    Your choice. Personally I've not had any crashes recently when opening in the same game, but before I had crashes before when I had opened a new game for UT (was down to the Firestorm procs on a pala torch, doesn't look like you're using one anyway). It doubles the length of the run so I tend not to, but this is your first time so err on the side of caution if you like.
    [/QUOTE]

This interesting, and worthy of discussion. My Smiter does not use a ptorch as I will obviously need one character in the game who can pick up the unid torch.

My Hammerdin DOES carry a torch. I also should mention that in my organ run, the game crashed out about five or tem minutes after the organ run.

As it was my first time on an organ run I wanted to take a tour of the landscape and perhaps do a bit of mfing. So I took my Hammerdin on a quick tour. I say "a quick tour", as after about five minutes or so, the game crashed, and kick both my Hammerdin and Smiter out, I had to close down both comp's D2 sessions and restart. Fortunately my organs were still there.

Is there some sort of bug that causes issues when a char carrying a torch enters the new areas?

12. sorcguy

sorcguy Diabloii.Net Member

Let me add a bit. I just retired from the game, but your character has almost the same stuff mine did (yours is actually better).

The last time I did ubers I used 1 full rejuv and I didn't die at all.

I've done ubers about 10-15 times. I never used a lifetap wand, I never pre-buffed with trechory or CTA.

You have the same life I did 1350.

Here are my tips.

Organs:

Duriel - (environment like act2 before Duriel) do circles around the portal and 90% of the time you'll find duriel. Smite him to death and get out of there. There are a bunch of those bug clouds that steal stamina, I had some spooky times there in 2 of 15 runs or so. When you enter make sure you walk a bit and open a blue portal just in case you need to hightail it out of there. You'll have more than one place to re-enter. Pick the one where the monsters aren't. ;)

Lilith- (environment like running countess) Nothing too spooky here, but don't get comfortable. When those attractive demons start shooting the stars at you the damage adds up fast. Don't hesitate to down a full rejuv if your life starts to get low. When you fight Lilith, try to separate her so you're fighting only her. You might need to drink a full rejuv until life tap kicks in.

Whoever that last guy is (the guy from act 4... fallen angel guy) - (environment like entering a red portal in act 5) The big danger here is IM. I keep gimmershread on switch for this. I throw it.. It's really slow, but safe. I'm impatient so I'll usually try to lure the non casters away from the casters and kill them with grief. (they typically run after you and casters don't so it's pretty easy). I caution against the use of enigma. I tried it and when I got to the boss there were Oblivion Knights there... then what... I had to TP back and get out of there.

Do you get hit by IM when you are smiting? I don't know, but I'm guessing so???

Ubers - enter. Activate smite and salvation. Keep salvation on until meph is dead. go around the edge of town counterclockwise. Typically mephs minions will spawn on the east side of town. Keep going north. Try to attack meph when he's not totally surrounded by minions. Once you lock on him don't let go. keep drinking full rujuvs until life tap kicks in. Once that happens just wait 15 more seconds. As soon as he's dead switch to fanatacism and zeal and clean up the minions.

I'll usually head back to town and refill belt (1 heath, 1 mana, 2 full rejuv is the rows I do)

Just pop in and out towards town and try to get one uber to come after you. If you fight baal have a row in your belt of mana pots. Use those for his mana steal, not full rejuvs as you'll go through too many of them.

There are no tricks for Diablo, just drink full rejuvs until your life tap kicks in. It's typically no more than 2 that you need.

The toughest part of this is clicking on the boss and not the minion. Trying to kill the minions is a losing battle as they will just re-spawn.

You have all the right gear. I would suggest some resist charms maybe. I never had a skill charm either, but I did carry a torch. (it wasn't necessary) I did my first run at lvl 79 BTW. You're ready...

Meph has -125 to fire/light/cold from his aura. Just do some math to figure out what you need for charms to have 75% res all with his aura. Let me know if you want help.

**edit** shield suggestion... use any shield with a good base res and put in 4 diamonds really the one you have will probably be no problem. You only need high res for meph. None of his minions are physical immune. I suggest gimmershread for dealing with IM's because you can throw it...

13. Alc

Alc Diabloii.Net Member

As far as I can tell it's just that Firestorm lags the game out, and with bnet's "new" anti-dupelag system, that can get you kicked from a game pretty quickly. From what I've read, a brief history of the issue: around a year ago, one particular duping method involved lagging the server out. Blizzard saw the rising bandwidth costs and patched in a quick hack which dropped anyone who had lag above a certain threshold. Some things really push this: large numbers of summons, frenzy and meteor - aledgedly. Having had some personal, 1player experience online with firestorm, and without, I'm fairly confident it caused noticeable lag.

If anyone can correct the above with more accurate information, please do.