Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1 pt Smiter, good for...?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Sickman, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Sickman

Sickman IncGamers Member

1 pt Smiter, good for...?

I made a 1 pt smiter for Uber slaying goodness, but I am wondering what else is it really good for?

I have tons of life leach, and 1300 hp, and doing ANYTHING solo scares me because my health bottoms out and if I am not hitting something I can leach, I die pretty quick.

So is Uber killing the only thing they are really good for?

2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Re: 1 pt Smiter, good for...?

1pt Smiter is basically a Zealot with some specific gear, and Zealots are pretty effective melee characters. You should have ctc Life Tap somewhere on your gear which generally makes Zealots invincible.

More specifics on what you are wearing and what is giving you trouble?

3. Sickman

Sickman IncGamers Member

I get life tap on my gloves (Dracs)

The rest of my gear:

Crown of Thieves helm (trying to get Guil face)
    Sac Chance ammy (+24 [email protected])
    Grief PB
    Um'd HOZ
    Duress armor
    Raven (20 Dex)
    Gores
    Carrion Wind
    Verdungos

Inv stuffed with resist and life charms

The things I have the most problem with are large groups, like those in WSK with a lot of elemental damage and ranged damage.

My fire and light resists are not at max, so I guess that is the biggest issue.

I guess I am used to the safe play style of my Summoner, where I never take damage.

4. Sickman

Sickman IncGamers Member

Ok I adjusted a few charms and tossed the anni from my summoner onto my paladin and with my resists maxed I see a difference in my survivability.

On the up side, there isn't much that last more than a few swings, even pi mobs are not much of a problem.

I guess it was just a matter of getting used to the play style of a smite/zealot after leveling as a hammerdin.

5. Kinky

Kinky IncGamers Member

I hate it when people use the term "1 pt Smiter", because all he is is a Fanatic Zealot who needs Holy Shield, and every Paladin needs Holy Shield.

Try some gear switching if you can afford it, and with re-specs available you may want to try a weapon-shield, or even a dual-handed Charger.

-Kinky

6. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Maxed fire and light resists will help a lot. I'm curious how you were doing Ubers without that. Crown of Thieves isn't useful on Ubers. Only Life Tap works with Smite, not life steal. Guillaume's Face is good, or something that gives resists if you need more.

7. ancalagon

ancalagon IncGamers Member

Thats precisely why its called 1pt smiter ... to differentiate its purpose, not the actual build itself. You would not refer to it as a zealot in Uber discussion threads, as it will confuse people reading or newbies who will max zeal and try take on UT with it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  8. Sickman

Sickman IncGamers Member

I haven't done any Uber with the character yet, still working on gear. Just made it to hell Baal this weekend and trying to trade up some gear to jump into the Uber killing. The CoT hem has 33% Fire resist also, which brings me to max fr, but yeah it will be replaced with Gface as soon as I can find another (one currently on summoner merc because he needs the 15 str to wield the weapon he has)

Currently level 85

I used the term "1 pt smiter" because I followed the build under the thread titled "1 pt smiter". So, I thought that was the correct name of the build, easier to type than "Fanatic Zealot who needs holy shield" I suppose.

I have maxed all my resist with exception of light, and it's at 72% currently.

Should I replace my Duress with Smoke for the extra resists?

9. ancalagon

ancalagon IncGamers Member

(1 pt smiter is actully supposed to be short for 1 pt smite zealot in fact, as its nothing but a zealot with a backup item switch and skill for taking on Ubers and Dclone. As someone else pointed out. I personally put more points into smite, as I respec and use for PvP sometimes. If its strictly an Ubering character, just max smite imo)

Try to level to ** if you are patient, before Ubering ... anway if you are going to eventually Uber run ... Replacing Duress with Smoke would be a very good idea, also you can try make a Treachery and prebuff fade with it for more resists, then put on your Smoke. Yes, the helm has to go, ideally for a Gulli since we are removing Duress (the CB is very important). Those are the only changes I would recommend, or maybe if you can, switch the ammy for a Maras, but its not necessary. The rest of your gear seems solid and standard uber smiter stuff. Basically, you need to count up to 300 resistance to all except poison (only need 175, but dont worry too much about it either way) including your gear and charms. You can also include Anya res as you will most probably rejoin anyway if you die in UT :) Good luck, hope you have fun.

10. Sickman

Sickman IncGamers Member

Replaced Duress with smoke, replaced verdungo's with IK belt and replaced CoT with GFace, so gear wise I should be set. Except for an Anni, but those are pretty cheap for a decent one.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I think I am ready for my first uber encounter as soon as I get the keys/body parts to do them.

11. Bigbubbsblue

Bigbubbsblue IncGamers Member

for ubers i highly recommend getting a treachery rune word and getting that fade from letting the fire hit you in ubers then swapping to your main armor. And if you dont need the cb from guiliaumes and are looking for resist an upd rockstopper can really fill the role.