1/3 of High School students dropping out!?

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
1/3 of High School students dropping out!?

If any of you happen to watch World News Tonight with Charles Gibson, there's a small ongoing series about an epidemic taking place in our schools. Each segment of the series seems to be focusing on a paticular school, student, teacher, etc, but when ever they show each segment they begin with the statistic that 1/3 of high school students drop out! How can that possibly be true? I can understand 1/6 or 1/5, but anything above 1/4 sounds absurd!

Does anyone agree with that number?

I mean, I won't lie in that I've had close friends drop out along with others who I didn't really know, but in no way was it 1/3 of my class (Not an actual class, but like junior class, senior class, etc).

So are they trying to tell me that kids who actually get their GED will be the minority?

This just has me really worried about how the future looks and what awaits us on the road ahead.

Btw has anyone else had a close friend or someone you know to drop out?

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
I guess my sample size is a little hard to go on. Let me put it this way. Your class has 400 more people than my entire high school...

Lord Nyax

Banned
Wow, you've got a small school....

Of course, I went to a smart-*** highschool, so I think I had ~3 people out of 800 drop out...so yeah, I can't help much...

jimmyboy

Diabloii.Net Member
If any of you happen to watch World News Tonight with Charles Gibson, there's a small ongoing series about an epidemic taking place in our schools. Each segment of the series seems to be focusing on a paticular school, student, teacher, etc, but when ever they show each segment they begin with the statistic that 1/3 of high school students drop out! How can that possibly be true? I can understand 1/6 or 1/5, but anything above 1/4 sounds absurd!

Does anyone agree with that number?

I mean, I won't lie in that I've had close friends drop out along with others who I didn't really know, but in no way was it 1/3 of my class (Not an actual class, but like junior class, senior class, etc).

So are they trying to tell me that kids who actually get their GED will be the minority?

This just has me really worried about how the future looks and what awaits us on the road ahead.

Btw has anyone else had a close friend or someone you know to drop out?
Does it really matter? The reality is that everyone is graded (judged) on a curve. The worst off your class is, the better you look as long as you do what you need to do.

Yes 1/3 of your classmates may not join you for graduation. But your class ranking just went up thereby getting your butt in a better school and thereby increasing your lifetime earnings.

Therefore, the lesson is to "think positive."

Lord Nyax

Banned
Does it really matter? The reality is that everyone is graded (judged) on a curve. The worst off your class is, the better you look as long as you do what you need to do.

Yes 1/3 of your classmates may not join you for graduation. But your class ranking just went up thereby getting your butt in a better school and thereby increasing your lifetime earnings.

Therefore, the lesson is to "think positive."
I think his point was more than the U.S. is gonna have a full 13 people with a High School education versus the multitudes of foreign ones (i.e. Japan's HS grads), and thus..well...the U.S. is gonna be kinda dumb.

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually though, if more kids keep dropping out in my class, obtaining the top 5 or 10 % would become harder.

Lets say my class has 200 kids. To stay in the top 10% I need to be between 1-20. But if 60 kids drop out and the class is reduced to 140, that means I'll need to be between 1-14. While although it may not be a problem for me as I'm able to get very good grades and stay pretty high up, it could be a bigger problem for huge schools.

But yes, I will try to think more "positive"

@Nyax-Yea I'm not going to deny the abundance of re.....oh wait uhhh.....stupid people here in the U.S. If it pleases you though, I'm fortunate enough to not be one of them (a non-stupid american)

jimmyboy

Diabloii.Net Member
I think his point was more than the U.S. is gonna have a full 13 people with a High School education versus the multitudes of foreign ones (i.e. Japan's HS grads), and thus..well...the U.S. is gonna be kinda dumb.
True, but I doubt that it would personally affect him that much as he is getting decent grades. He may tear his hair out later trying to manage persons lacking basis education, but that's pretty much down the line.

The reality is that the higest 10% of the population are in most of the decisions positions, it's probably more beneficial to worry about how to get into that 10% rather than worry about the effects of the bottom 33%.

While it's commendable to try to help the bottom 33%, his life isn't really affected by it.

jimmyboy

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually though, if more kids keep dropping out in my class, obtaining the top 5 or 10 % would become harder.

Lets say my class has 200 kids. To stay in the top 10% I need to be between 1-20. But if 60 kids drop out and the class is reduced to 140, that means I'll need to be between 1-14. While although it may not be a problem for me as I'm able to get very good grades and stay pretty high up, it could be a bigger problem for huge schools.

But yes, I will try to think more "positive"

@Nyax-Yea I'm not going to deny the abundance of re.....oh wait uhhh.....stupid people here in the U.S. If it pleases you though, I'm fortunate enough to not be one of them (a non-stupid american)
You're absolutely correct. But since a higher drop rate results in a smaller amount of studends applying to college, it means that your chances of getting in just improved.

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes...I am bald

Well I guess I wasn't so much annoyed by the purpose as much as I was the statistic. I just can't fathom 1/3 dropping out. I honestly think that number was either kind of "iffy" due to it possibly including different circumstances or it was one of those stupid fabrications in which they make up a number based off the studies of 2 or 3 schools lol.

Edit-Yea jimmy lmao, funny thought, soon colleges will have to be sending in "their" applications to you and each of those colleges sits by their mailbox eagerly awaiting an acceptance letter :laughing:

jimmyboy

Diabloii.Net Member
I wonder how they tally up the numbers. whether they count the total number of non-graduate. Of they tally the number of students who failed to return nor transfer (which means they excluded students who return).

But I could see that number being accurate depending on where they take a sample. Upper class neighborhood = very low drop outs. Middle class = low drop outs. Poor neighborhood = highest drop outs.

While in highschool, I transferred from a low income area to upper-mid income area. The drop out rate in low income was 40% but dropped to less than 1% for upper-mid income.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think it's like 1/3 here in Australia, most people wait until first year university to drop out. That dropout rate is at least 1/3.