Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.14 patch - Thoughts from the SPF

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by In the name of Zod, Jul 7, 2010.

1. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

Re: 1.14 patch - Thoughts from the SPF

Prior to 1.13, Oblivion Knights cast level 3 Iron Maiden in Normal, level 6 in Nightmare and level 10 in Hell. The way things work at the moment, they could be reduced to level 1 IM in Normal but would still have to cast level 4 (+3) in Nightmare and level 8 (+7) in Hell.

It would be much simpler to increase the divisor applied when the target is a player or hireling: at present it's 4 so level 10 IM's 425% returned damage is reduced to 106% when applied to players and hirelings, but increasing it to 42-70 would reduce it to 6-10% when applied to players and hirelings as XCodes suggested (although I don't know whether 42-70 would be valid values).

Life Tap doesn't return life from Crushing Blow as it is: however, unlike % Life Stolen per hit LT isn't affected by difficulty level penalties or the target's drain effectiveness, so it always returns life equivalent to 50% of physical weapon damage (the only thing that reduces its effectiveness is Damage Resist %, since reducing physical weapon damage obviously reduces returned life).

2. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Wait, what? It doesn't? Then why is Life Tap so uber on... ubers? I was told that the massive damage they take from the CB (it hits the damage cap if memory serves) was leeched by Life Tap, resulting in thousands of hit points healed every time CB triggered...

Oh well... in that case, I don't know what to do with Life Tap.

As for Iron Maiden, couldn't one just copy the Necromancer's Iron Maiden into monskills.txt (accounting for any formatting differences) and tinker with the values to create a special, OK-only Iron Maiden that reflected a tiny fraction of the damage that the Necromancer's IM would reflect?

3. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

This is in comparison to % Life Stolen per hit, which is completely ineffective against Mephisto (0% drain effectiveness) and not much better against Diablo (15%) and Baal (20%): every 100 physical damage after Damage Resist % will return 50 life using Life Tap but, after difficulty level penalties (1/2 in Nightmare and 1/3 in Hell) and drain effectiveness, 1,000% LS would be needed for the same return against Diablo and 750% LS would be needed for the same return against Baal.

The fact that LT doesn't return life from Crushing Blow doesn't mean it doesn't return a lot of life: 1,000 physical damage after DR % returns 500 life; 5,000 returns 2,500 life. Against most monsters in other areas of the game that amount isn't required, so other curses are preferred.

Unlike the Decrepify cast at short range, Oblivion Knights don't have Iron Maiden assigned directly: they use the MonCurseCast skill, which prior to 1.13 allowed them to cast the Necromancer Curses Amplify Damage, Weaken, Iron Maiden, Life Tap and Lower Resist. The mechanics of this skill are hard-coded, so making changes isn't quite so straightforward (as evidenced by the fact that by removing IM, Blizzard also inadvertently stopped them casting LR and now they cast a non-functioning Decrepify at long range).

Adjusting the divisor against players and hirelings would just require editing a variable in Skills.txt, although since this would also apply when players duelled it wouldn't be a perfect solution. More generally, the easier it would be to implement a change, the more likely it is to be implemented at this stage.

4. DSchaos

DSchaos Banned

Introduce elixir back into the game. That would be great

5. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

Only if they had fingerprints!

By the way: Fingerprints in runes? (it needed to save the fingerprints from lower runes if cubed) This way we could more easily trust new traders.

6. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Wow, so since Blizzard was lazy when they coded the game the first time around, the fix to the problem is likely even beyond the scope of your average modder...

As for elixirs... no. Just no... It was fine in the original when every class had a cap on their stats, but just imagine a Barbarian that duped up Vit elixirs and got 1000 Vitality. He'd probably wind up with some 15k HP. That's just disgusting. Fingerprints wouldn't be enough to stop it, either. They'd just drink all the dupes before they logged out.

7. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

What is an elixir?

8. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

A type of potion from D1 which give a permanent +1 to an attribute when imbibed.

9. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

But it didn't increase it higher than your class's ability score cap. For example, Warriors were always limited to 50 Magic, regardless of how many elixirs they had. Diablo II doesn't have ability score caps (maybe 999 as you hit some coding limit), so the only limiter on the power of Elixirs is non-existent.

10. overklokan

overklokan IncGamers Member

wishlist for 1.14, unsorted:

- boost low lvl, nerf mid and nerf-a-lot high lvl runewords
    - increase min damage for slow and very slow polearms and spears
    - allow new chars to start in nightmare and hell difficulties
    - increased stash size, doubled at least
    - 2 magic rings (amulets) instead of 3 > 1 magic amulet (ring) as cube recipes
    - any item type AND / OR any grade gem for crafting recipes
    - in-game database for cube recipes, runewords, upping and similar processes
    - active buffs / debuffs shown as icons somewhere on screen

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  11. Chairnick

Chairnick IncGamers Member

WAT?
    How do you expect to kill anything on nightmare, yet alone hell with lvl 1 character? Except if you mean for rushing, but then again why not just give you HR's on a platter instead?

Why would you need that if you have unlimited space with ATMA/GoMule?

Rings and amus drop like flies

Why not just put any item type in the cube with nothing else and poof - you have a craft (all gosu mods included ofc).

Christ, like this game isn't easy enough as it is.

12. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

I would like to see Druids given a bow skill with elemental damage for Hunters.

I know this is not in any way realistic, but it would be a very fun change.

13. bcoe

bcoe IncGamers Member

I think D2 is fairly well balanced as it is. There are builds that are easy and builds that are hard. There are many different styles that can be successful. One can look for many different kinds of challenges (untwinked, odd-ball skills, HC, grail, lvl99, tournaments, etc) so that there's really something for everyone. Regarding the difficulty of getting to lvl99, I think its OK. Its pretty easy to get to lvl95, and there isn't much effectiveness difference with 99 (I would imagine - haven't been there myself), so its really just a testament to hard work and single-mindedness. Not sure why that's a bad thing. Overall, for 1.14, I wouldn't change D2 much, if at all. The only thing I'd like to see fixed is Inferno. Everything else, I'm afraid they'd mess it up...

14. overklokan

in case of nightmare, 1-click-lvl30 char equipped with random Magic items, horadric cube, no other items, 0 gold
    cheats? no thx
    it's about freeing inventory and more cube tries for useful ones out of those we already got dropped
    same as above
    everything except plain mob killing is not easy, at all ... since you obviously use cheats, you probably have no idea how much effort it takes to beat game on all 3 difficulties, the legit way!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  15. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

Just so that I understand:

This is not a cheat according to you:

But ATMA/GoMule is?

Hypocrisy, anyone?

--Greebo

PS. I almost feel sorry for posting, since it'll probably encourage you, but I couldn't stop myself.

16. overklokan

once everyone can use the feature out-of-the-box, it's not cheat ... suggestion is merely about having ability to skip normal and / or nightmare, starting with your own crappy nightmare or hell char, just for fun, you know ... there are so many possibilities to try out, but not enough time, at least for legit players

17. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

This forum endorses some mods/programs. It's pretty rude to tell us that the way we, as a group, have chosen to play is cheating. Some of the things you refer to are already possible, either with mods or with built-in game commands, but they are considered cheating here....because we as a group have decided what is cheating for us.

That's also an odd point of view....you say you want several things that make the game much easier, yet you refer to actually getting some such things as cheating?

18. overklokan

cmon, lol ... you should understand that there are still some that prefer legit gameplay over modified one, whatever reasons for that might be ... thing is that you are actualy not qualified to speak about game easyness or hardness, and possible effects on legit game by my suggestions, if you use mods! thx

19. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Why do you guys even bother discussing anything with this obvious troll? :scratchchin:

20. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

overklokan - the mods and utilities accepted by this forum are not cheats and you will not describe them as such if you wish to remain posting here.

I suspect you don't even know what ATMA and GoMule are. They are muling utilities. IE something that can be done on bnet or SP with multi instances. Nothing more.

The SPF and SPTF goes out of its way to avoid cheat and cheaters, hacking and other nasty little programs eg editors. Please have the courtesy to know a little more about this forum before insulting us.

If you wish to remain posting.

Any queries, PM me.