1.13 & firewall: viable?

Cake

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: 1.13 & firewall: viable?

wow, lots of reactions! didn't expect that to happen, thought I'd just check in every now and then.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, it's good to see the build is working in 1.13 and in 1.12 :D

I found an excellent guide on the correct use and placement of firewall in the amazon basin forums: Perpendicular Pyromania.
This has further convinced me to make one. In fact, I think I'll start one this afternoon! Big flaming walls of death are awesome! And I think I'll need the practise of targeting them and some crowd control skills need to be learned.

I think for now it'll be firewall, FM (not sure how many points, at least 1), 1 warmth, few in teleport, and the rest in the icespells to have some decent CC. A few points in static field can't hurt either I think ;)

Anyway, thanks for all these replies (really didn't think there'd be this many, seems FW sorc is very much alive!) and keep on replying if you must :jig:

EDIT: also, I was wondering if it would be worth it to spend points into one of the ice armors? If so, which one would be best?

Last edited:

shizz

Diabloii.Net Member

Firewall has really high damage. Last night I played a HC Single Player 1.13 FW sorc; had 1k dmg at clvl 25. Problem with firewall is it's difficult to target and its crowd control sucks as LorveN mentioned. Blizzard will get you way better crowd control and works wonders against packs of monsters; playing firewall is dangerous. Some people (and I) have really thought about making a FW/Energy shield sorc because of the Warmth synergy; however my opinion is that an Insight gives way more mana regen than Warmth so why care. A FW sorc would make a pretty good Andy runner though.

Grumpy Old Wizard

Diabloii.Net Member

For a firewall sorc I'd use an unsynergized FO for my secondary attack. Neither Orb or FW is hard on the mana pool and with warmth as a synergy you'd not have to worry about manna for sure. And warmth would help you with a sorceresses early mana problems.

If you went pure fire you could play around with inferno a bit too. Or since the inferno synergy is only 1% throw in blaze since it gets a synergy from firewall now and have some fun running around.

Oh, as a reminder, you can shop for a 2 socket firewall staff to make Leaf out of at normal Drogan! That staff will serve you a long time and boost your early power greatly.

Last edited:

droid

Diabloii.Net Member

Firewall does seem best suited for a melee sorc...monsters wont move if they're in melee range with you. Dual Dream Passion with a full FW...ouch! :)

Hmm, maybe there's a build for a ranged FW sorc using Silence and an A1 Faith merc? Blinded enemies dont run. Blind blind FW, blind blind FW

Alternatively, A2 HF merc with Kelpie+Blackhorns or A1 merc with Riphook+Blackhorns, for major slow effect. If you cant hold a monster in place, you can at least slow them down enough that it takes them a while to get out of the fire.

Lastly, maybe a FW/Nova build? TP right up next to a monster, drop a FW, and then spam nova to keep them stunlocked in your fire. Course, thats got the same problem as GS does if you're up against LI monsters. Maybe with War Cry on CTA instead.

Grumpy Old Wizard

Diabloii.Net Member

A defiance merc will do for holding monsters in place. And he is hardier than a HF merc.

One of my favorite builds is blizzard-firewall. But going all out firewall with the new syneergies you wouldn't have enough points for blizzard. But FO doesn't have to be synergized.

The way I'd approach the build is how I'd do a hydra build. Work on getting Orb to mid range first, around 10. Then pump up firewall. Of course, you can put some in FW before getting Orb and a Firewall leaf staff will just be yummy for the early going.

Firewall-enchant is a possibility since both FW and enchant use warmth. She might have trouble with immunes but if you have a group you play with the melee members would appreciate the enchant as would your merc.

You don't really have to have great gear to run firewall. I've used it untwinked many times. Cheap/easy to find gear can keep your merc alive.

Jetman

Diabloii.Net Member

This will Def be teh future untwinked NM starter/MF build IMO.

20 Warmth
20 FW
1+ FM

20 Tele

20 Orb
1 CM

With prereqs this totals to 91 pts (leaving you at level 79) with the rest going in FM or CM depending on what you want.

Leaves you chilling with infinite teleports, maxed warmth so you have no mana issues, and a solid dual tree attack.

With respecs, once you have gear you can move the 20 from Tele into FM and fill out CM for an extremely efficient Tals F/C sorc if you are tired of the old Meteorber build.

mattinm

Diabloii.Net Member

This will Def be teh future untwinked NM starter/MF build IMO.

20 Warmth
20 FW
1+ FM

20 Tele

20 Orb
1 CM

With prereqs this totals to 91 pts (leaving you at level 79) with the rest going in FM or CM depending on what you want.

Leaves you chilling with infinite teleports, maxed warmth so you have no mana issues, and a solid dual tree attack.

With respecs, once you have gear you can move the 20 from Tele into FM and fill out CM for an extremely efficient Tals F/C sorc if you are tired of the old Meteorber build.
I agree that this will be a strong starting character, and one I'm considering. This is done at level 80 though (you don't get a skill point at level 1 :p).

Grumpy Old Wizard

Diabloii.Net Member

With 20 in warmth I don't think you'll be needing 20 in tele. I'd put 19 of that in masteries/synergies.

Jetman

Diabloii.Net Member

With 20 in warmth I don't think you'll be needing 20 in tele. I'd put 19 of that in masteries/synergies.
This is true and I mentioned it above. I do think at least 10 in tele will be needed in garbage gear to get a nice infinicast tele going. I will log onto the test realm tonite and get a feel for the lowest +tele I can get away with having 20 pts in warmth.

Also, I play HC so dropping the pts into TK/ES is an option as well.

The point is, for untwinked play and just pure NM meph MFing to get a char started (you can always respec after all) I think a FW build is going to be the way to go.

nurman

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm planning a FO / Firewall meph runner with Full tal's and some MF gear ^^.

earlarchibald

Diabloii.Net Member

Me too. My first mf runner was back in 1.09 (?) and she was a orb/firewall.

Meph should drop pretty fast with moat trick.

And with only 60 points you get good damage out of firewall.

NDIII

Diabloii.Net Member

Firewall has really high damage. Last night I played a HC Single Player 1.13 FW sorc; had 1k dmg at clvl 25. Problem with firewall is it's difficult to target and its crowd control sucks as LorveN mentioned. Blizzard will get you way better crowd control and works wonders against packs of monsters; playing firewall is dangerous. Some people (and I) have really thought about making a FW/Energy shield sorc because of the Warmth synergy; however my opinion is that an Insight gives way more mana regen than Warmth so why care. A FW sorc would make a pretty good Andy runner though.
Wow, I thought I was reading my own post here. I actually started making this build up to lvl20 since dieing in hc just now and well, I'm already completely fed up with it. Like you said, it's hard to aim, control, or have it reliably take down anything while at the same time you can't keep teleport on your right mouse which is crucial in hardcore for safety and for convenience at other times. With good aiming - which I don't have at this point obviously - it's probably a viable build but for all intents and purposes it is far from any fun (for me anyway).

WolfFang

Diabloii.Net Member

I currently have a level 75 Firewall Sorc.
My damage is 25k
You get used to the aiming and tactics easily, or atleast I did.
Frost nova with a holy freeze merc is more than enough crowd control.
The synergies don't quite add what they need to, so I don't recommend investing heavily into them
My gear alone provides 24 warmth and 24 inferno.
Instead, invest those points into another branch, frost or lightning.
I chose lightning storm///chain lightning as a backup.
It's moderately effective, but what else can you do?

Overall, with good gear, firewall sorcs are effective in pvp and pvm.
True, adjustments need to be made in hell, but with the respec patched in, its easy to create a firewall hybrid that can ****face any opponent.

CrushingBlow

Diabloii.Net Member

I believe it is viable.

The trick is getting them to stand in the firewall, so I guess any kind of Frozen Orb/Firewall build would work great.

pmaker

Diabloii.Net Member

I did this before I respecing it to lightning sorc (Level 92).

With a full gear, I used to have Firewall damage of 22K, and Frozen Orb around 650.

I maxed Firewall, Fire mastery, and Warmth, Frozen Orb, 1 point in Cold mastery, Energy shield, Static Field, and the rest to the Ice Bolt for FO synergy.

In comparison to the Lightning sorc, killing speed is way slower. But, the biggest advantage of this sorc is safety. Since you max Warmth, it gives you super fast mana regen. This is why you should take advantage of using ES, preferably with 2xSOJ.
This way, I rarely used Rejuv or Health potions, but make sure to carry plenty of Mana potions. I could easily host Baal runs in full games, although killing souls is pain in the ***, but with practice of using Firewall, it gets better.

Another advantage is consistency in damage. The gap between min and max damage of Firewall is very small (I got 22k - 22k after rounding). Andy dies with just 1 hit, and Meph with 1 or 2 hits. Diablo and Baal also dies quickly.

I haven't yet figured out an ideal numbers on Vitality / Energy points. Obviously, because you are maxing Warmth, you should take advantage of this, and there is no point in giving all points to Vit. Furthermore, as I mentioned earlier, you will hardly have to use Health pot.

After playing with my light sorc for a while, now I'm missing my Firewall/Orb sorc. I am planning to respec tonight and wear a full Tal Rasha's set + Spirit (35 FCR) + 2xSOJ + War Travs.

I personally think using orb/firewall is way more fun than using lightning.

The conclusion is that if you prefer safety over killing speed (which isn't that much different) and you are good at controlling, then yes, this kind of sorc is viable. Now there's an option of respec, so you should try it out. There's nothing better than trying it out for yourself to find out your answers.