Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.12 crashing and Unable to Connect to Battle.net

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by synx, Jul 14, 2008.

1. synx

synx Diablo: IncGamers Member

1.12 crashing and Unable to Connect to Battle.net

So yeah, the patch totally broke the game for me and a friend (very similar setups, both running 8800 GTS/GTX, X2 6000+/X2 5000+, Vista 32, 2gigs of RAM). The game randomly goes to a black screen and locks up, requiring CAD to close it. After which it says my CDkey is in use by me (because Bnet apparently takes a ridiculously long time to disconnect a player that is no longer sending/recieving packets).

After attempting to log in a few times to test if I'm DCed or not, I'll get the "Unable to Connect to Battle.net".

Hooray, another batch of items lost because of overzealous draconian restrictions on players.

Go blizz!

2. ColtFourFive

ColtFourFive IncGamers Member

Re: 1.12 crashing and Unable to Connect to Battle.net

I use vista, and after following all of the patch instructions I run d2:lod without a cd flawlessly, if not faster than ever. All of the biggest things I've heard about d2 technical issues on Vista are solved in one of two ways:

1. Windowed mode. Always. Even if you get annoyed with clicking outside and it auto-minimizing, windowed mode runs a lot smoother and faster regardless of what Vista machine you are running. Type -w after the shortcut location on your desktop/toolbar/whatever icon, and it will do this automatically.

2. Run As Administrator. Sometimes if you try to run d2 normally it can glitch up or simply not run at all, and apparently right-clicking and selecting Run As Administrator solves this problem. I've never had this problem, but it might relate to yours.

I, however, still don't know exactly how to get two copies running at the same time (and I've done all my research) :\

3. synx

synx Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: 1.12 crashing and Unable to Connect to Battle.net

There is no problem with getting D2 to run "flawlessly". The problem is that the patch has made the game randomly crash for some 8800 users.

Oh, and windowed mode is completely unnecessary to solve the low FPS issue on Vista. Look up the glide wrapper thread.