Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.12 Cd-Key Error

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by TorchwoodI, Jun 27, 2008.

1. TorchwoodI

TorchwoodI IncGamers Member

1.12 Cd-Key Error

I just updated my diablo 2 LoD to patch 1.12 copyed over all the .MPQ files and it ran ok. Then when i clicked Battle.Net it gives me an error message saying this cd-key was intended for another product so i uninstalled the program and started again and it worked for 5mins and it is sayiong the same again, so im uninstalling it again but this time im going to run with disc.

Can someone explain why this is happening as they are the CORRECT KEYS.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Re: 1.12 Cd-Key Error

Exactly where are the keys from ? Are they the ones on your CD case ? Or are they from a friend, bought on a web site or something like that ?

3. TorchwoodI

They are on the case of the game, when i brought the game it was still sealed so i am the only person using the keys. I have been using the keys for the past 4months and they have worked fine. They are working ok now but it is only when i copy all the .MPQ files over.

4. Helatus

Helatus IncGamers Member

I am having this same issue. I was able to isntall everything and even log in for s very short time. Now i am getting the cd key error. I have both CD keys on the box in front of me so I have no idea whats wrong.

5. TorchwoodI

Anyone help us out here.

im not bumping i had a reply on the 27th and its now the 3rd, i was hoping the admins or other exp players could help.

6. krischan

Perhaps somebody exchanged the inlay of the CD cases, as the keys themselves are on the plastic cases IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if you can install Diablo e.g. with keys from another Blizzard product (perhaps Starcraft or the Broodwars expansion) while bnet will probably notice it :scratchchin:

What's the exact error message BTW ?

7. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

I have the same problem as the OP. However I got there in a different way:

A few months ago I stopped playing D2, so I deleted all those big .mpq files to free some space.
    Recently I copied back ALL files, as patch 1.12 doesn't need the CD if you have all those file.

Game starts fine, I can play SP, but when i try to login on b.net I get the message that the CD-key used to install this product was intended for a different product and that I should re-install with the correct CD-key.

I got the game from a friend in the original package, so I used the keys on the case. It worked fine for months, however recently my friend started playing D2 too, and I am not sure where he got the keys from. He plays b.net and it is possible he's using the same keys albeit not at the same time as me (that's for sure)

8. krischan

So you just deleted the MPQs and left the rest on your computer ?

The CD keys you entered get interwoven with some game files upon installation, so if you copy them from the CD to your computer, it won't work. I don't know which files it refers to, but perhaps you the jkeys are partially missing now. Do a clean uninstall and install the game again. If you want a 100% fresh start, delete the whole Diablo folder (make a backup of the the save directory if you want to keep your single-player chars) and clean up the registry as well. See the Blizzard support page for the registry thing, it's specified somewhere on it.

9. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Thanks for the suggestion krischan, I will try to re-install and see how it goes.

10. luciaaa

luciaaa IncGamers Member

I resolved this problem. Do the following:
    Uninstall D2 --> then Full Install --> Install LoD --> when installed --> copy ONLY d2xvideo.MPQ and d2xmusic.MPQ from LoD disc to installation folder --> start the game with LoD disc inserted --> connect to BN and download patch --> now you can exit game and restart it without CD. BN works OK now (no EM).
    It worked for me. Note that you only copy d2xvideo.MPQ and D2xmusic.MPQ!!!!

11. butchie

butchie IncGamers Member

The cdkey is stored in one of .mpq (i'd have to look which one when i get home). No wonder it stops working if you overwrite the mpq from your CD.
    As luciaaa said, you only need to copy the d2xvideo.mpq and d2xmusic.mpq (from the expansion disc) which don't get copied to the hdd during installation.

12. CatBunny

CatBunny IncGamers Member

Same thing happened to me, cept i got banned for two weeks for typing in a faulty cd-key o_O

13. Zenicnero

Zenicnero IncGamers Member

I had this problem for a while too, but then I tried something new:
    First I registered my account on Battle.net, then I put in the CD-key that was on the box there. once registered it will give you another CD-id-key, that is what is needed to be put in.. Hope this helps - E-mail me if it works or not @ [email protected]