Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.11b or 1.12a?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by lionheartthebrave, Jun 18, 2008.

?

Which patch?

1. 1.11b

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. 1.12a

28 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

1.11b or 1.12a?

As most of you know, there is a new patch, 1.12, this patch allows you to play the game without a CD after doing a full install and copying over the mpq files from the CD Discussion here

As we are a community, I felt that we should vote on what patch this forum should adopt. I think a mix of 1.11b and 1.12 wouldn't be good for the forum (though I know that decision rests with Thy and sirpoops)

PRO 1.12:
    -It's blizzard's latest patch; imagine a new guy coming in and saying "hi, I bought d2LoD and upgraded what build?" and us saying "actually we don't play the latest patch, we play 1.11b"
    -It doesn't change the game apparently, apart from stopping MH from working, and RRM/RWM work (I tested those) and GoMule opened my 1.12 character I tested with
    -This forum upgraded in the past; I'm sure that there was a similar debate when 1.10 came out, with synergies, but this forum embraced that (though some do go to 1.09 to HFrush)

ANTI 1.12
    -no CD makes it easier to play an illegal version. This forum prizes itelf on being legit very highly.

EDIT: yeah, what did I do to the poll? Perhaps not giving it an end date made it close immediately

EDIT2: @silo: yeah I'm in favour of 1.12, same as 1.11b imo but it apparently screws over the BNet hacks and bans a load of bought CD keys, while letting legit players without the tech know-how to run an image play without hearing grindingCDdrive.mp3

2. iomanip

iomanip IncGamers Member

Re: 1.11b or 1.12?

hmm, does it work with ATMA? does anyone know this?

3. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

No point for me updating. I'm happy with a mounted image. Until Blizzard give us something substantial, I won't be updating anytime soon.

Edit: Hehe, poll's already broken.

The main issue with updating is that 1.12 doesn't give anything. No updates, no bug fixes, no balancing. So the only thing that matters is for the MP/trade forums, where the versions are most likely not compatible.

On that, updating to 1.12 makes sense, so that new people who come to the forum who will MP don't have to restart to join in on MP'ing. (Unless 1.11b and 1.12 are compatible, which I think is unlikely, but I'm not going to test it.)

4. zarirazz

zarirazz IncGamers Member

@iomanip
    no problems with atma. so far. not too sure about gomule though..

5. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

LOL at the:

"-no CD makes it easier to play an illegal version. This forum prizes itelf on being legit very highly."

I nearly collapsed off my chair with laughter. If this is seriously the greatest negative you can find, you've pretty much just confirmed that 1.12 is more convenient and has no bad points.

GoMule will work fine if ATMA works fine and there haven't been any character/item changes. I haven't tested it yet, since I can't get 1.12 to run, but hey ho.

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

You can't dicatate the forumites what patch they should use, so this poll is kind of useless. Discussing (not)changing trade status tags, that's a different story.

7. kanonfutter

kanonfutter IncGamers Member

And something that should be decided upon. It seems as if the patch is rather harmless, so we might introduce something like 1.11+ to include 1.11, 1.11b and 1.12.

8. zarirazz

zarirazz IncGamers Member

imo not a bad idea. but still the issue of bringing item versions backwards..

9. dune6836

dune6836 IncGamers Member

i agree with this approach.

10. Tanksaabas

Tanksaabas IncGamers Member

Right now I'm staying 1.11b , but if everyone goes 1.12 I'll follow.

11. silospen

But as people have already said, that'll come bite us in the behind if 1.12b is released with a boatload of fixes (Yeah I know, more likely to get struck by a meteorite).

12. Ockut

Ockut IncGamers Member

Fortunately being vanilla, self found and not a participant in any MP games the issues surrounding the patch don't effect my gameplay. No CD isn't even of interest as constant skipping and big delays on boss kill animation forced me to use a mounted (legit CD) image.

Hopefully something gets sorted out as split opinions could have a negative impact on our SPF community. Not that a little debate isn't healthy but things can soon turn sour if not kept in check.

Personally I can't see any reason for SPFers to bother with this latest patch as hard drive space permitting a mounted image is fine and doesn't cause any of this is it taint isn't it taint blah blah blah hoohar.

13. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

You're half right. IE You're right about the the first bit. Same as vanilla v modded. You can get a feel for who wants to play what.

Bear in mind this patch is 1.12a - I see no other patch that was released with a letter - we have a problem.

That could happen sooner than you think. :)

14. Llathias

Llathias Banned

15. silospen

Meh, as a SW developed, I have to say I change my mind over what I call releases every time I release something. Usually because I forget whatever the standard was that I set last time.

The "a" doesn't necessarily indicate a new patch is to come.

16. Ockut

Ockut IncGamers Member

Oh yes, if you want to try the new ladder then you don't have much choice, though I assume some sort of version switcher is possible, no?

17. silospen

It's all a massive pain in the *** though, particularly when there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to not play 1.12! IE: No valid idea of "taint".

18. Llathias

Llathias Banned

And who on earth would use a version switcher (especially if s/he isn't already using one) to play an identical past version? That's pushing hard to make up pointless trouble.

19. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

1.12 offers me nothing, because I don't mind using a CD while playing. And I'll stay in 1.11b no matter how many forumites changes to 1.12. I'll upgrade when they actually fix something (if ever).

As zari stated, bringing item versions backwards, that's a problem if there's some [1.11+] tag. I'm against a trade status like that. But a discussion about trade status' won't belong here.

edit. voted 1.11b (surprise :rolleyes:)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  20. Ockut

Ockut IncGamers Member

I'm guessing people who want to play the ladder in all its 1.12 (lol) glory and still maintain their 1.11 SP status to opt out of all this unrest until something concrete is decided upon.