Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.10 Poison Envy

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by PyroStock, Apr 5, 2005.

1. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

1.10 Poison Envy

A long time ago during 1.09 I socketed an Ambergris Jewel of Envy (29%LR & 20Poison over 2secs) in my +1Druid +3Volcano Pelt I bought from 1.09 Elzix. Sadly I've yet to find a better pelt for my Druid (not a single unique pelt).

I'm now thinking of replacing that jewel as I can get the Lightning Resist cheaper elsewhere, but I was wondering the pros & cons of Envy Poison. IIRC, some parts of the 1.09 Tao of Poison are outdated, but I don't remember what exactly. I currently use 1 poison charm with 175 poison over 6seconds. If I remove the Jewel of Envy, enemies will be poisoned for a longer duration & that's good. But will my poison damage per second decrease in 1.10 & if so how much?

Thanks.

2. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

If that poison jewel is displayed correctly (that´s not certain if it has both prefix & suffix with poison damage), here are your rates:

With only the charm: 175 posion damage over 6 seconds (29,2 per second)
    (Duh!)

With charm + jewel: 157 poison damage over 4 seconds (39,2 per second)

In your situation, I would remove the jewel, and go for the longer duration.

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

What kind of druid are??? You should definitely be able to find a better pelt. For a Hunter it might be okay but for a melee druid, one of the "ordinary" helms like Tal Rasha/stealskull/etc would be much better than that pelt. An elementalist wouldn't need the poison so much.

4. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

Jiansonz - thanks. I just reviewed some posts over what changed with poison and it seems Melee Poison from items did not change. And it's good to know my calculations matched yours so I know I'm doing it right.

He's a HC Volcanic Hunter or what some call a Hunter-mentalist. The +skills are crucial for Elemental Tree damage, in my case Volcano damage. The pelt also has 2 sockets.
    The poison for my bow is important to stop monster healing at higher /playerx settings. I don't want to depend on a Merc, who I have no control over, to deliver poison. And PoisonCreeper is useless unless spammed, which would defeat the purpose of my bow.

5. cft

cft IncGamers Member

Hi, I think there are 2 main things about the Tao of Poison that changed:

1) The fixed the "ranged" bug which let poison damage and duration stack. If you had 2 charms, each 10 poison per second, for 2 seconds, then the bug let them stack for 10+10 poison per section for 2+2 seconds. This let you increase your total poison damage to HUGE amounts (thought it would take a long time).

Now it has been fixed. The result involves more math than I want to do in my head, but basically, they no longer multiply each others' effectiveness. They do add to the poison per second, but the duration is not added up.

2) Monsters have a bit more hps than they used to in 1.09. This also makes it harder to stab a monsters once and then let poison kill it. More hps = takes longer for it to die.

Overall, with the fix to the bug, I don't think you can get enough total poison damage to kill monsters in one hit. Maybe in normal, but not in Hell.

Venomancers, correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see any poison skill getting high enough total poison damage to one-hit-kill Izual in Hell on players 8.

But, poison does have one VERY good use. Like Open Wounds, and PMH, monsters do not regenerate while they are poisoned.

If your character hits for 10,000 damage per swing, then you probably dont care if the monster regerates 500 per second. But if you only hit for 500 per swing, then it makes a big difference if the monster regenerates 500 per second. So for lower damage builds, poison can be a cheap way to stop the monsters from healing. (but watch out for poison immunes)