1.10 Mini Guide - The Lightning Amazon

Jek

Diabloii.Net Member
sugnut said:
Hi im using pure Lightnign fury build
and currently have enuf dex for Charged Strike
i use charged stirke alot against bosses should i increase my attack rating or something or is this not worth it
i currently have 900 hp
You wont need AR, AR only affect the physical part of the attack, so unless you find youself lacking alot of mana or life leech there's no point.

ogz

Diabloii.Net Member
are there times when lightnign strike can kill quicker than lightning fury, but also faster than charged strike?

and how does lightnign strike compare to sorceress' chain lightning attack?

Jek

Diabloii.Net Member
ogz said:
are there times when lightnign strike can kill quicker than lightning fury, but also faster than charged strike?

and how does lightnign strike compare to sorceress' chain lightning attack?
LS on it's on wont be able to match LF or CS, well probably CS agaisnt large groups, but it's mostly a support skill that when used correctly GREATLY increases killing speed. :)

Vladicus

Diabloii.Net Member
Methinks for those of us not rich enough to own 2 facet jewels, Thunderstroke is a decent anti-boss weapon, what with the -light res.
It is also easy to find, I found 2 from Hell Meph so far. And that Demon Arch thing with the fire damage and whatnot as well.

hulk2004uk

Diabloii.Net Member
hi, what helm should i use off ladder?
my chooses are;

Vampire Gaze for leach and DR

Harlequin's Crest for the extra life/mana, +2 skills and DR.

Delirium for crowd control and +2 skills.

thanks
chris

Xiamet

Diabloii.Net Member
Curious...

How does this build handle things like Black Souls, which are not only LI, but are hella killers from offscreen, where you can't really target your LF's unless you're tossing them willy nilly.

That would be my only concern with this build...other LI's are are more easily dealth with.

-X

Vladicus

Diabloii.Net Member
I have plenty light res, and a tgods for regular gameplay.

That allows be to run up and either jab or CS with a thunderstroke.

Xiamet

Diabloii.Net Member
I find Black Souls to dish out way too much damage from afar that by the time I close with them, it's usually the dead zone. Lightning absorb helps a bit, but I think it's capped at a certain level, no?

Was thinking TGod's and a Wisp might be a good solution...

I may go hybrid with my zon, as I know FA does wonders vs Black Souls and their ilk...

-X

DarkFox

Diabloii.Net Member
I've been using this build for hardcore play recently. I find the fact that they can get by fine using basic javelins incredibly useful for vitality pumping, and I've gambled myself a +5 mana after each kill javelin. Just wanted to add - basic javelins are great for this build, and tir runes/+mana after each kill are incredibly useful.

st-hearts

Diabloii.Net Member
Black Souls will always be a problem because your biggest source of damage is coming from pure lightning. When I play with my Amazon, I like to cast Valkyrie ahead of me constantly and keep Slow Missiles ready just in case. The CL of the Black Souls can still hit you, but when it takes 3 times as long to reach you, you are given more space to manuever and attack. If you are reluctant to attack them head on, you can keep up a PJ hotkey and simply throw them from a distance, while hopefully maintaining SM's effect.

Of course, you could always have someone else in your party attack them, if you are in a multiplayer game.

~Hearts~

sacmb8

Diabloii.Net Member
Excellent Thread!

This build is SO much fun and equipment INdependent that you can play untwinked...that is until you meet LI's...and hell is a b!tch.

Has anyone used a wand of lower resist (charges) on weapon switch? Makes killing tough guys much faster. I heard it can also "break" immunities. Does anyone know if it can break an LI's immunity?

When using jab for LI's, do you use the little stick (jav) or big stick (spear/lance)? I'd imagine little stick to keep the shield and resists. How long to kill a quill rat in hell (LOL)?

Do you have AR problems in hell with slvl 1 jab? Do you pump penetrate? dex is already up for blocking...

Cheers

spballer

Diabloii.Net Member
This guide is -_-

I have a lightning zon on uswest (acc ptshizl if u ever want to test it ^^) and it would tear up any light zon built from this ytihs (reverse that word) guide. First off he throws lionheart above enigma, WRONG, you cant go wrong with enigma, it saves u 50+ stat points, if u are truly good then u will have the patience to lvl to 70 without spending any stat points and build your characters stats from there with all ur final gear ( like anni, imps,t gods, enigma, maras shako, all those add str ) i have over 400 points into vit, over 200 dex and my base str is somewhere around 40. If u think ur lightzon from this guide can handle it, then bring it ^^

Jek

Diabloii.Net Member
spballer said:
I have a lightning zon on uswest (acc ptshizl if u ever want to test it ^^) and it would tear up any light zon built from this ytihs (reverse that word) guide. First off he throws lionheart above enigma, WRONG, you cant go wrong with enigma, it saves u 50+ stat points, if u are truly good then u will have the patience to lvl to 70 without spending any stat points and build your characters stats from there with all ur final gear ( like anni, imps,t gods, enigma, maras shako, all those add str ) i have over 400 points into vit, over 200 dex and my base str is somewhere around 40. If u think ur lightzon from this guide can handle it, then bring it ^^
It's because it was written back when ladder was young, which meant no twinking. And if you already has spend the str points Lionheart is better in overall gameplay, for MF running Enigma is better/faster.

This isn't a PvP minded guide.

TheZealot

Diabloii.Net Member
im always worried that if this build would work in 8ppl hell baal run, cuz i dont think u can dish out any dmg

Jek

Diabloii.Net Member
TheZealot said:
im always worried that if this build would work in 8ppl hell baal run, cuz i dont think u can dish out any dmg
Charged Strike dish more than enough damage. :)

TheZealot

Diabloii.Net Member
ive maxed LF and charged strike, now what do i do? is dracus better than soul drainer? although soul drainer has dual leech, but dracus is much more better in terms of mods.

Sessily

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice guide. I think I'll start one of these up after my (half) failed Hybrid.

My questions are :

a.) LIghtning Strike would be for small groups of like 3 that Lightning Fury isn't particularly useful, right?
b.) For LIs, would we be advised to use Thunderstroke/Demon's Arch with Tiamot's Rebuke on switch?

shiroamachi

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a new lightning zon. She's doing great until now ( currently lvl 67 ).

I'm playing ladder hardcore mode, 95 str 100 dex and 200 vit.
20 cs 20 Lf and around 10 LS

I wonder how many point I need in avoid dodge and evade?

thx

Crinos

Diabloii.Net Member
Great build!

For cheap eq, I'd like to suggest IK boots with the IK gloves - you get that 25% ias for the gloves and 25% mf for the boots. The stat boost from the gloves pretty much lets you socket your storm with a pdiamond or um instead of a -req jewel.

I wonder how many point I need in avoid dodge and evade?
My current incarnation of this Zon (gotta love the build) is heavy on +skills, so I have only 2 points in d/a/e each. Keep it at a single point if you can. around 50% is enough, just like the original poster said.

How do you kill the Black Souls?
You don't. You can kill them if you want to, but it's usually a lot safer and faster to find another piece of exp down the corridor. Here's how I do it.
For Black Souls etc., just keep on spamming those LFs until their ranks thin a bit (the physical damage of direct hit from a LF is still an autohit). Sure, you'll need to quaff some blues, but after a couple hits, you'll need the blue pots anyway. For some speed, you can give a Blackthorn's (or somesuch) to your merc, and if you have your valk at sl17+ she should survive the gloams' attacks too. Don't forget to use *cough*spam*cough* your Decoy as a lightning rod. Of course, Lres of 50+ in combo with tgods helps a lot here. When the Black souls have suffered some casualties, wade in and jab jab jab. Note that you should be able to run past the Black soul packs in WSK2 in hell (don't waste your time with them, the exp ain't worth it).