Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.10 Guardian Starlane

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Karmeus, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Karmeus

Karmeus IncGamers Member

1.10 Guardian Starlane

Ok, the forums are up and running again, let's see if I can get this written before it goes down.

As the title says this is a thread to celebrate my first ever SP Guardian :clap: Actually, it's even the first ever SP char I've ever managed to get beyond Hell Ancients. It was an exciting ride, that is, the session which got Starlane past the Ancients and then Baal. I've written how that happened here.

Starlane was of the new cookie-cutter build: Frozen orb/Meteor-fireball Sorceress, and in general that's what she does, cutting cookies :D She was very easy to play and only had a couple of hairy moments where things almost went wrong. That usually involved me rushing her into places where there were a lot of monsters ready to cut her to pieces. The most dangerous encounters were with Undead Stygian dolls (We hatesss them!!!), Unraveller type and with blood witches in Act V. The last two mostly because their attacks (death star on the floor and the blood star) are very high damage and resists don't help much.

Starlane has become VERY efficient at killing Mephisto, in NM I ran him at players 4 continuously, in Hell I usually do hit at players 1 since it's faster and it keeps the merc alive (more money for gambling). The general strategy for reaching and killing Meph was simple. take the WP from the act IV sanctuary to the Durance 2 WP. then select teleport and teleport all the way to the stairs down to durance 3. I did this by just keeping the mouse button down and aim at the edge of the screen. with a bit of faster cast rate you are not really often hit by monsters (happens only occasionally) and it's pretty safe... only once did I get in a bit of trouble when I TPed straight in the middle of an extra fast boss pack of stygian dolls, but I managed to tp out of there and finish the run. At Durance 3 it usually: drink mana potion - tp across the moat - walk a bit until Meph comes forward - Static Meph down to 50% Health - feed merc 2 health potions - orb Meph to death, switch to alibaba in final seconds. A run takes about 1½ minutes with picking up stuff, ID-ing it and selling the crap, and that's in Hell on an averagely bad map seed.

Ok down to skills and equipment:
    Starlane, level 85
    Strength: 85
    Dexterity: 226 (75% block with Visceratuaunt)
    Energy: 48
    Vitality: 156

Cold Skills:
    Frozen orb: 20
    Cold Mastery: 20
    1 in prereqs

Lightning skills:
    Static: 1
    Telekinesis: 1
    Teleport: 1

Fire Skills:
    Meteor: 20
    Fireball: 20
    Fire bolt: 3
    Fire mastery: 1
    1 in prereqs

Thoughts behind skill choice, not so much :D . Since this char was destined to become a MF char and Meph dies so fast with Orb, I maxed orb and cold mastery... pretty much anything not cold immune dies FAST, they never get near her. The fire skills are more secondary, to support the merc when he's fighting cold immunes. Fire Mastery was mostly ignored since it only adds 7% fire damage per level while the synnergies between bolt, ball and meteor add more to eachother.

The lightning skill tree was also pretty much ignored except for the "useful" skills. I decided not to go for energy shield since my idea was that with an empty mana ball I cannot teleport out of a difficult situation where I'm being hit all the time. It seemed to have worked, but it's a personal decision. The frozen armors were also ignored.

As for the her end game equipment, it was stuff that was found between her and my Strafeazon, both are on the HC ladder. Near the end of the game she and her merc were only wearing self found stuff, mostly coming off hell Mephisto:
    Occulus
    Skin of the Vipermagi (33%, with perfect ruby)
    Visceratuaunt (with perfect Diamond)
    Rockstopper
    Rare Amulet: +15 to Energy, +4 to Minimum Damage, Fire Resist +23%, Lightning Resist +6%, Cold Resist +6%, Poison Resist +6%, +1 to Sorceress Skill Levels
    Rare Sharkskin Belt: Defense: 72, +2 to Strength, +22 to Life, Lightning Resist +12%, Cold Resist +30%, 24% Faster Hit Recovery
    Rare Chain Boots: Defense: 17, Cold Resist +8%, Poison Resist +28%, 19% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items, 20% Faster Run/Walk, Poison Length Reduced by 25%
    Chance Guards: 40% MF
    Rare Ring: +7 to Life, +72 to Attack Rating, Magic Damage Reduced by 1, Lightning Resist +15%, Cold Resist +18%, 10% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    Rare Ring: +7 to Energy, +10 to Life, Fire Resist +11%, Lightning Resist +34%, Cold Resist +11%, Poison Resist +33%, Adds 1-2 fire damage

On switch: Alibaba (empty sockets) and another Visceratuaunt (I find these often, 4 so far)

Her Merc was using, a Shaft stop, Vampire Gaze and a triple Amn Hone Sundan.

That's pretty much it, I haven't really tried her in the pit just yet, but since her MF is a bit on the low side I think I'll keep running Meph for a while, he's been nice to me so far as you can see

2. Pucho

Pucho Banned

as I said in the hcl thread, all I can say is CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    I've read that the three old guys was some kind of trouble for you....
    But you made it!
    always nice to have a new guardian in the ladder

wohoo, after almost 4 hours late and still the first!! :)

3. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

congrats on the guardian :thumbsup:

4. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Excellent work...I've gone for more fire skills and alas SC, someday I'll join your in HC. Now back to my Ph.D. thesis *grumble*

(yeah I deleted diablo and saved all my characters on a zip and the harddrive)

5. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

Congrats on the great achievement! :worship:

6. BubbleTough

BubbleTough IncGamers Member

That is a great accomplishment Karmeus, even with a cookie-cutter, having no deaths is always a great feat. And I bet that Guardian title makes her look mighty impressive, eh? :)

7. Mage11

Mage11 IncGamers Member

Awesome - another Guardian for the forums. Congratulations on the great work, Karmeus. Cookie-cutter or not, a Guardian is not an easy achievement at all. Have a :drink: on me at the EMB to celebrate.

Well done.

8. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Congratz on your accomplishment Karmeus :clap: I agree that no Guardian should be considered an easy task - you still have to keep your concentration.

So what's next?

9. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

Way to go, Karmeus. However good the build, accidents can happen and HC isn't very forgiving. :lol:

Congratz. Have one on me. :drink:

10. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Congrats on the Guardian. I'm impressed with any build that reaches that milestone, cookie cutter or not.

Chris

11. TrenShadow

TrenShadow IncGamers Member

GG :D I look forward to seeing some more ;)

12. sam_manzanza

sam_manzanza Banned

:clap: Well done Karmeus, that's really awesome :thumbsup:
    Nice gear aswell, especially that merc, pretty much an ultimate setup IMO.
    Great job!!

13. simeonb

simeonb IncGamers Member

As I said in the HCL thread - many congrats! :clap: :thumbsup:

I hope to join you - eventually - with Daisy, but will probably lose concentration along the way and join the fallen heroes instead... :rolleyes:

14. ULTIMATER

ULTIMATER IncGamers Member

Congrats!

Have one at me over in the EMB!

15. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

congrats on the guardian :thumbsup:

16. Karmeus

Karmeus IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the congrats people :)

Ah yes... a Ph.D. thesis... I guess I should start writing mine soon as well. The fire skills are nice and do some sick amount of damage, but my feeling was that most of the bosses were more susceptible to the cold damage of FO, that's why I went with that all the way.

Moderately impressive yes :) I used to have some Guardians on B.net, but actually only one of them had killed the Hell Ancients all by himself (Werewolf Druid). To have done it in SP was quite a surprise, though after seeing first Butzull and then a_shikoff pull it off with a sorc I started believing it had to be possible.

Concentration really is the key, the couple of NDEs I had were mostly because of lack of concentration. Usually once those things had occurred I quit the game and went off to do something else... charging up for a next session. The last day I almost had it end in shame when I found out that my merc was not making it against the ancients. He was using the Arioc's Needle which I found earlier on a Meph Run, but the life leech from The Vampire gaze obviously wasn't enough. When I quit the game to give him the Hone Sundan from my Atma Stash and then went back into the Caves to the Arreat Summit I was unconcentrated and almost got Starlane killed by some moon lord Boss pack. she had less then 100 life left when I finally got away.

What's next? Well I still have a Strafeazon stuck in Act 2 Hell, who is about to enter the palace to get to the Arcane Sanctuary... I'm a bit bored with her though, so she might take a while to complete... and I just started a Bonemancer who's now level 18 and looking absolutely ridiculous in his Sigon's suit of armor... he somehow reminds me of Blackadder :D

Yep, I totally agree. My feeling in general is that drops have improved, at least once you reach Hell difficulty, in Normal I didn't find any greens or golds before act 3 if I recall correctly. From NM Meph and Hell Meph I found tonns of great stuff. Yesterday he even gave me my first Unique Jewel and a Hellslayer... I've never found a Hellslayer in 1.09 even though my online Barb was having a carreer of Meph running with around 700 MF... I didnt even know Hell Meph could drop one.

Anyway, I should get to work, so I'll leav it at this for now

17. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Congratulations, onneks olkoon Karmeus :D
    (yea yea, you can get your lady translate that :lol: )

Have a barrelful on me at the EMB :buddies:

18. Butzull

Butzull IncGamers Member

Grats again Karm. Good job and best of luck with the next one! ;)

Butz. :teeth:

19. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

I take a :drink: for you're first guadian

20. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Congrats to your Guardian Karmeus:clap:
    the first is the best, not that I know how it fells like but I guess it would :scratch:

DX