Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.10 FAQ - A Call to Arms!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Shade, May 28, 2005.

1. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

1.10 FAQ - A Call to Arms!

[Hopefully this thread isn't very far OT :)]

Something in another thread reminded me that there have been a few changes in the way we see things in the 'new' patch, what with new runewords on the Realms, new bugs being found, old bugs being pointed out as omissions, and so on and so forth.

Thus, I set about rewriting the FAQ, before realising that I was making a large chunk of it up as I went along :D

So... besides the obvious Realm-only runewords thing (fix is below, comments/additions welcomed), are there any other changes to be made in the spring-cleaning of the 1.10 FAQ?

The existing 1.10 FAQ can be seen at its usual abode, here.

Any useful suggestions, additions, etc. are welcomed. I'm going to trawl through some of the recent threads to look for some frequently asked questions too :)

(Currently the fixes I've made are: adding Realm-only proviso to runewords, adding info about Shadow synergies, adding Necroskeleton damage display bug (oops, should've included that in the last version!), and miscellaneous editing of humourous comments to pare down the file size.)

Once it's all done, I'll post up a shiny new version for any final comments.

This is the Runeword fix:

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

You can talk abit about some mods now, say how the different types can / cannot interact with vanilla, what kinds of mods are acceptable here etc etc. look in the announcement thread about them. someone posted an in depth analysis of different categories of mods that you might want to use.
    Oh, and another popular discussion you can put in, is the cubing els to zods. scare away the n00bs by doing calculations and big numbers. :thumbsup:
    Cant think of anything else, but havent read the FAQ for eons.

3. Hiedran

Hiedran IncGamers Member

How about something to head off all these questions lately? I'm getting a little tired of all the "What's the best char to ????" style questions.

4. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

I'll sift through some of these and add a 'What's the best character for...' section, if I can. I guess the obvious categories are the various boss-runners...

5. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Imo you should just say something to the extent that there is no single best char and let it go at that...

6. Hiedran

Hiedran IncGamers Member

Or maybe we should tell them to go read the character guides that are so nicely stickied and pick what sounds most appealing.

7. Masas

Masas IncGamers Member

There is a single best char in my opinion. It's a rich fishymancer. He can run absolutely anything in a good time span.
    Mine does Pindle + Ancient Tunnels + Pits + Meph + Wsk in around 15-16 minutes. Of course the maps are ubergodly to allow me fast runs.

8. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

Particular builds and the success you will have with them is based on your patience and play style as best cited by all the people who can't figure out how to use Hammerdins. Something as subjective as "The best character for __ is __" has no place in a compilation of the facts, bugs, etc. I agree with what others have said - if anything add a link to the compilation of build guides and the strategy compedium.

As far as things to add go my recommendation would be to add that list of immunities that can potentially spawn in all the level 85 areas. It's great for figuring out which area is best for particular builds.

9. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Good idea. I'm just here with a link. :)

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=330187

10. SimontheBulletFreak

SimontheBulletFreak IncGamers Member

I like the idea of some in-depth info on modding for the least technically proficient member. I guess I must be in the minority but I'd like to be able to play with the "overpowered runewords" and perhaps the chance for an Annihilus to drop. If that can be accomplished with a mod I'd love detailed instructions on how to accomplish this from downloading to installing to pros and cons. Perhaps I'm opening a large door here and if so I apologize. Suffice it so say I'm not as computer saavy as I'd like and perhaps I'm not alone.

11. cryist

cryist IncGamers Member

Shade good idea it's need a tune up. One thing that should be added is info on Flavie by Randell..

12. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Speaking of upgrading runes, I've searched the forum's & several FAQ's and haven't actually found the rune upgrade recipies on this site yet (had to go elsewhere).

If it's available somewhere, perhaps you could include a link. If it's not, perhaps it should be added (although the SP forum might not be the best place).

13. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

As a clarification, I don't think it's a matter of what mods are acceptable. All mods are 'acceptable' in that sense, since it's always been the SPF stance that people can do whatever they like on their own machines. I use RTB's reduced FE mod, but were I to use a dropmod, the rules governing my use of it or participation in the forums here would be identical: as long as I was upfront prior to MPing or trading, everything's okay. Granted, were I to use a dropmod, I'm sure people would be less likely to trade/MP with me, but that would be the choice of the individual (protecting their right to play the game as they so choose), rather than a forum policy.

A related issue is what mods can and cannot be linked to. As AE pointed out, certain mods can be linked to (ones already cleared by the mod(erator)s), while others can't be. Since a dropmod would likely not gain such approval, linking to it would violate the rules. However, in keeping with the above paragraph, the simple use of such an 'unapproved' mod is not, in and of itself, a violation of forum policy.

14. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Actually, this is in the FAQ but it's under a different - sort of - question ('Where can I find a list of Cube recipes?'). I'll mention rune upgrades to make it clearer.

Hmm... modding really would be better off in a seperate FAQ, but it's far better to just link to the Phrozen Keep (which, as I understand it, we can do now). Modding is a vastly detailed subject, so it's better to just point people in the right direction and let them play around with it a bit.

As a side note, perhaps a list of some of the more 'SPF-approved' mods could be linked to? Not sure on this one, but I know that the FE mod and coloured rune mod(s) are well-supported, and the Runeword mod has its own following too.

'Proper' mods, ie. those that change the whole game experience (eg. Middle Earth, Seven Lances, et al) are beyond the scope of this FAQ, really.

Good point. I'll include that where ATMA is mentioned.

And going back to the whole 'characters best for X' discussion... the question does seem to have popped up a bit lately. I'll link to the character builds and mention a few specific targets, eg. Hell Countess is always FI/CI so a Meteorb sorc isn't the best choice...