Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.10 Bowbarian: First Draft

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by AdunaCCDanimoth, Feb 14, 2004.

1. AdunaCCDanimoth

AdunaCCDanimoth IncGamers Member

1.10 Bowbarian: First Draft

Feel free to put in your questions and comments, but keep it civil please as this is only a first draft. This is directed to players who like to play IP games.

=======================================================

1.10 Bowbarian Guide

I.) Introduction
    II.) Stats
    III.) Skills
    IV.) Gear
    V.) Strategy Tips
    VI.) Contact Info and Conclusion

I.) Introduction

Welcome back to the Bowbarian Guide. I am AdunaCCDanimoth, but you may remember me better as ACCPyroHappy. In the last two versions of my guide to the bow, I discussed about how a Bowbarian was a proud, noble creature that could spank it to the minions of Diablo and stand tall and proud in the end. With the introduction of 1.10 to the system, things have changed. The emphasis on the party has become more and more apparent. Don’t get me wrong, I for one still believe (and have made) a 1.10 bowslinger that went solo all the way through Hell to become a Patriarch, but I feel that the time for being solo is drawing to a close, so this version will focus not just on the Bowbarian himself, but on how the Bowbarian can now be used as a vital support character to the group as well.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Drop the bows, boys, the Era of the Crossbow is now.

II.) Stats

Strength: 165

Crossbows need a lot of strength to use. Our two main weapons that we will want to pick up, Hellrack and an Upgraded Buriza-Do Kyanon, are both Collosus Crossbows. The other upside to a strength this high is that it opens up the possiblities for heavier and more durable armor. Yes, I know that with a Grim Ward up and running will keep you safe and sound, but there are those times when you move and fighting a ranged monster that the extra defense will help. Turn down the amount if you want to pour more points into Dexterity, I’m not stopping you.

Dexterity: Pump, Pump, and Away!

For every 100 points into Dexterity, you’ll gain another 100% Enhanced Damage to your weapon of choice as well as boost your Attack Rating and Defense. The more you have, the more pain you can dish to your victims.

Vitality: 100

Life is always a good thing in case a monster or spell does manage to break through your armor and resists, but with Battle Orders driving your life higher and higher and the fact that you have a party of potential other targets to soak some of the damage, you don’t really need a lot of points into Vitality, which can be saved to boost Dexterity.

Energy: Base

Once again, Battle Orders will help you keep a decent mana pool for Grim Wards and Warcries. The other new option is the use of Find Potion. With a constant flow of potions at your disposal, FP can easily handle any mana problems you may have even after you BO. besides, casters will love you for the seemingly endless flow of potions you can give them.

III.) Skills

For this section, I will only talk about the skills that have more than one point put into them. Howl, Find Item, Iron Skin, and Increased Stamina all have but 1 point into each of them as Pre Reqs.

Find Potion: 5 Points

5 Points into this skill gives you a 50% chance to pop a potion out of a corpse. This can save time and cash by creating a flow of potions for your team and yourself. Combine this is the fact that monsters tend to drop a lot of potions anyway and you are ready to go!

Taunt: 1 Point

To keep it short and sweet in this case, Taunt allows you to pull towards a ranged monster or one that is annoying, such as the Fallen Shamen on Act 1. Note that Taunt does not work on Unique or Champion Bosses. Sorry.

Leap: 4 Points

Leap allows the Bowbarian to do a jump with a bow where Leap Attack does not. 4 points grants a 10 yard flight in order to get across the rivers of Act 3 and similar places. Leap also knocks back monsters if you jump on them, giving you space to knock on off and Grim Ward it into a safe haven for you and others.

Shout and Battle Orders: 20 Points each.

The new favorite synergy of the Barbs, Shout and BO each give you the ability to boost the Defense, Life, Mana, and Stamina (+290%, +92%, +92%, and +92%, respectfully) or your party over the course of around 6 and a half minutes. This is good not only the party, but you when it comes to deal with the rogue monster that makes it to you and begins to attack as you will have a better chance to escape damage and when you do get hit be able to shrug it off. Note that even though Grim Ward is a very powerful skill, Champion and Unique Monsters can still pass through it to reach you.

Increased Speed: 9 Points

A nice 35% boost to your movement speed means you can go from hot spot to hotspot in short time. It also gives you the advantage of being able to walk away from a monster that breaks through the Ward. Yes, I said walk. If you run, your defense effectivily drops to 0 and leaves you open to a beating from monsters. Very important to know about this.

Grim Ward: 7 Points

Meet your saving grace. A 6 yard radius at 7 points means that you and some friends will have a clearance zone from which you can unload on some baddies that is fairly large. If you and your party can’t drop a monster in 40 seconds to make a new Grim Ward, you may really want to consider taking up a new game, like Minesweeper. As stated before, Grim Ward will not stop a Champion or Unique monster from crossing into it, but the minions of the monster will run off. You may wonder why I only kept Howl as a Pre Req. Howl is a good skill in the early game, as it does the job of Grim Ward quite nicely, but the duration and the fact you don’t want the monsters to bolt away from you and its fairly small radius won’t offer you much protection for long.

Battle Command: 1 Point

Hey, it’s the best 1-Point wonder in the game. For 3 and a half minutes after you max Shout and Battle Orders, you give everyone around you a free +1 to all of thier skills as well as yours. With it, you can boost your Wards, Orders, and Shouts for quite some time.

Natural Resistance: 13 Points

The only real way a monster can damage you outside of breaking through a Shout-driven defense is to use magic or get a hit in with poison. 13 Points gives you a 60% bonus to all of your resistances and when coupled with the Resist scrolls you get from doing the Anya Quests on Normal, Nightmare, and Hell, you will have effectivily 90% Resists. This means you will have Max Resists in Normal, 50% Resists in NM, and -10% Resists in Hell disregarding any gear or charms you pick up to boost your resists. Sure, you may still be down Resist-wise in hell, but at least you don’t need to worry about wasting gear spots for 90% Resists. Note that Magic-type spells, such as Bone Spear or Bone Spirit can still get to you as Natural Resistance does not affect such spells.

IV.) Gear

For something new, I won’t put in a full list of gear for what your Bowbarian needs. It is my opinion that the player making their Bowbarian needs to find and work with gear that suits him or her the best. But if you want to follow the idea of this version of the Bowbarian, let me put down a few guiderails.

1.) The Bowbarian will use a Crossbow: This version focuses more on Crossbow use than bow use. Amazons have an entire skill tree dedicated to the bow and most of them use the floss-on-a-stick as well. 1.10 gave to the Barb some new things. The Upgrade recipe gave use the ability to turn the Buriza from a Ballista into a Collosus Crossbow for more damage. Hellrack, the new unique Collosus Crossbow, allows more and more elemental damage in order to go around Physically Immune monsters. For the Crushing Blow people out there, you can even upgrade your Demon machine into a fast and hard hitting method of wiping out targets.

2.) Get your Resists up: Fairly self explanitory. In Hell, get that resist deficit out of the picture as soon as possible through charms and gear then worry about things to make you even more dangerous.

3.) Damage + Speed = Death: While some people abuse the Damage is King philosophy and others the Speed Kills rule to the letter, I find that a balance of the two results in the most destruction. The best way to keep that damage up is through the use of Elemental Damage charms, namely the Lightning and Cold damage charms.With Hellrack going at a mile a minute using the three major elements, the extra lightning damage and cold duration will make short work of most targets. Fire may be a rather poor idea as I seem to find a lot more Fire Immune monsters in 1.10 than I did in 1.09, but you are the one playing the game, not me. Shael Runes are also your friends, as you can drop 2 into the Hellrack and make a socket for one in the Buriza as well as anything you may use until you get to the point when the use of these two shotguns become availible.

V.) Strategy Tips

- Don’t be a jerk to your team or your team will abandon you.
    - When your Battle Orders, Shout, etc runs out, that means so has everyone elses. Get in there and refresh these abilities to keep you and your team alive.
    - Walk in combat, run to keep up with your party. It will save both time and your life now and then.
    - Do all the quests and get all the waypoints. That way you can get the rewards and have places to jump to when you join a new game.
    - Unless you plan on attempting to go solo through Hell, don’t get a merc. 7 humans by your side will help you out in the long run than even 7 computer-driven mercs could.

VI.) Contact Info and Conclusion.

You can send me an email at [email protected] for questions and comments as well as sending me a Private Message on the Diabloii.net Forums. I really do hope you enjoy making your own Bowbarian. it really does take some time and is quite the challeneg, but the experience you gain from making one can and will help you become a better player at Diablo 2.

2. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

Nice guide. However, other than the Buriza and Hellrack, you didn't mention anything about sugguested equiptment. Even if you are going untwinked save the bow, it's nice to know what to shoot for.

I may have to make a bowbarb sometime...

3. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

i´d rather go with a bow druid, HoW, grizzly, vines etc
    but this seems cool aswell!

nice guide!

4. AdunaCCDanimoth

The reason I didn't put in suggested equipment is because not everyone here or on B.Net has the exact same financial ability as one another. The Buriza and Hellrack are only two options to give players a target to aim for and let their own personal beliefs in offense/defense gear to them. Bows didn't make it for the simple fact that the Bow itself reminds me too much of a Zon, which is, IMO, a female Barb. Besides, bows take skill, long amounts of training, and having a boob cut off if your a Zon. Barbs aren't all that smart and get to use the simpler Crossbow AND get to keep a pec. :D

5. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

Very good read, i may have to put this up to my 'to do' lists. :)

6. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Heh, it could be fun to make an "unusual bow-user" party with a rocket-launcher sorceress (Enchant/Demon Machine) a ranger paladin, a hunter druid and a bowbarian.

Maybe even a blowmancer for giggles.

7. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

sign me up for the hunter druid :D :rolleyes:

8. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

I realize this is designed for TC/IP play, but...

1) Solo leveling guide, including what points go where and at what levels.
    2) Assuming you have buriza/hellrack, what are you going to use while you wait till you can use buriza?
    3) What clvl is required to use an upgraded buriza?
    4) What other equipment is useful? Think in three groups: early, middle and late/endgame.
    5) IMO, buriza is not hard to get a hold of. I would think many of us here, especially the more well-off ones would trade them for perfs/chips.
    6) Is upgrading absolutely necessary to the build?
    7) More solo play: How do you deal with PI's?
    8) Merc options?
    9) IAS tables for weapons should be included, along with an recomendation on what BP to go for.
    10) Maybe this belongs in the leveling guide, but list what areas can/will give you problems, and how you will deal with those.

hope this helps,
    crg

9. AdunaCCDanimoth

1.) Will make, after all this was a first draft.
    2.) See #1
    3.) See #2
    4.) Guess what! See #3
    5.) Thanks for the comment
    6.) Hell no it isn't. But to upgrade is a very, VERY good idea to keep your damage up and your defense high against ranged attackers.
    7.) When (not if, I'm optimistic) you pick up that Hellrack, PI's all of a sudden become really less threatening. But I will add more info about this in the next draft.
    8.) Even though, like you said, this is for TCP/IP and you'll have the support of the other players mercs and the Palliban, if you REALLY want a merc, take an Act2 NM Defensive for the holy freeze. Sure, the other guys in the party may have a HF merc, but there are those times when you will be alone either for Spliting off the group or for SP itself.
    9.) BPs, let me count the ways I love thee.... Okay that was easy. IMO, BPs are for those who take D2 from the basic idea of a game into something psuedo-scientific. For God's sake people, it is nothing more than a game, so why take it into BPs, FPA, FHR, etc. with so much vigor and criticism. Unless theres a REALLY big outcry that there needs to be a BP section in the guide, I won't put one in.
    10.) Leveling Guide is a good idea. I should have made one for this draft, but I only had a 30-minute window to make this in before I went out for the evening.

Keep those Q's and comments coming people. The more feedback I get, the better the guide.

10. Zavior

Zavior IncGamers Member

Hard places for this?
    Maggot lair?
    Phys immunes?

11. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

And I take that psuedo scientific view. I blame my old PvP Bnet days, but still, I think it would greatly help the guide. Personally, when i try to build a character, I want them to be the best they can be, and FHR/IAS BP/etc are part of that, btu I understand your view also.

crg