Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.09 Whirlbarb

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thadar, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Thadar

Thadar IncGamers Member

1.09 Whirlbarb

Quick question. Does dual wielding do anything in 1.09 classic when you are whirling or does only the primary weapon do damage? If only the primary does damage, then I might as well find a good shield to go with my primary sword.

Oh, and I found a ravenclaw off 1st kill Diablo in 1.09 classic. Does that mean that it has the lvl 33 Exploding Arrow? If so, is it worth upgrading to 1.11 and using it on my younglings to speed up the leveling process?

Thanks all.

Thadar

2. Thadar

Thadar IncGamers Member

Hmm, so if blocking works while whirling, is it more beneficial to have dual swords(assuming they both work while whirling), a shield for blocking or a big 2 hander? (<--- Classic 1.09 in case anyone was wondering :smiley: )

3. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

General consensus in classic is to use lances. Range 5 means more hits and being a lance, at more damage. I don't see why dual-wielding wouldn't work, but you should check with the Classic FAQ that is posted in the community forum, I believe. Dual wielding didn't become popular until v1.10, however.

crg

4. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

For v1.09d Classic I would suggest Martel De Fers, unless you can come up with a failed unique Lance [75 durability] which is somewhat hard.

Lifesteal is such a strong factor in v1.09 really, a shield is hardly needed.

5. Pucho

Pucho Banned

IIRC dual welding before 1.10 only granted a hit if there was multiple enemies in range. It couldn't target twice the same monster.
    I believe all pre 1.10 ravenclaws have lvl 33 exploding arrows (at least they do i n 1.07-1.09)

6. Thadar

Thadar IncGamers Member

Alright, so a Martel or a Lance. The Martel has an avg dmg of 80 whereas the Lance has an avg dmg of 70.5. Aside from the dmg, the Martel only has a range of 3 which is much worse than the rng of 5 on the lance.

Is the extra 10 avg dmg worth the loss of 2 on the range? Am I missing some other advantage to the martel de fer?

7. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Well, since you're after a high +% ed rare, that 10 average dmg will translate into around 40 average dmg ON THE WEAPON! Add in the off weapon ED from str, WW, might, Mastery, equipment etc and that can make a significant difference. I don't know exactly how much the range will help, but the final dmg is approximately 13% higher on the Martel de Fer.

Oh, and check the stat requirements...

IMHO, a very important reason to use the MdF is that hammers look much cooler than spears on a barb, and it doesn't make sense that the spear damages enemies while he's whirling anyways.