Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.09 sorc question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Arreat_mercenary, May 27, 2005.

1. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

1.09 sorc question

Hello there!

Ok, currently my orb/thunderstorm sorc has reached nightmare act V, she has reached the point where she finally had get her skill where I wanted, the buid I planned for her was like this: (remember this is 1.09)

Frozen O: 20
    Cold M: 1 (due to bug in 1.09)
    Static F: 10
    Thunder S: 10
    Lightning M: 10
    Warmth: 6

Rest in prerequisites

She's now clvl 58 and has almost everything in it's place (except for LM which is only slvl 8, but about to cover that). So, with act V runs, I can easily get to clvl 70, which leaves me with about 10 spare points before entering hell, and I haven't decided what to do with them, I think TS WILL need a boost to be efective. But I don't know if to put the points in TS or in LM, I first decided to put them in TS because with more points TS hits more often but I have looked hard for stats and haven't found how much does TS hits increase with more skills points, so I'm undecided if to put more points in TS or in LM. Any suggestions? Maybe even increase CM

2. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Honestly if you're going only dual tree, you might as well go for maxing out TS and LM. If you're wanting to go Tri-elemental, start building up your third skill.

What's this Cold Mastery bug you speak of?

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

What was the CM bug in 1.09? never played 1.09 myself, so wouldnt know.
    Anyway, i suggest LM to be maxed, since once you get TS to a nice level, you can pump some points in CL or ES, which may be helpful in hell.

4. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

ES was effective with 1 point, IIRC. And CL was based on weapon attack speed, so not very effective or helpful, especially not with one point.

5. Arreat_mercenary

Well, I'm mainly a melee player, and this is my first ranged/magic char, so, what's why I pumped so much SF, for a safe distance. But even with that, I don't take many hits, so I think I don't need ES (especially since I pumped so much vit, leaving energy with only 100 points).

About the CM bug, I read here about it. I don't recall very well, but the bug was about that you only need 1 point in it, since past some point (I think it was clvl 6 or so) CM does nothing, since resist of monters came into play and wouldn't lower enemy resistances beyond some number (I don't recall the exact number right now), so there was no point in increasing CM (+skills will take CM to the effective slvl).

And yes, I'm only going dual elementalist, I don't have any experience in ranged/magic chars, so maybe in another char I would try a tri-elementalist.

So, maxing both TS and LM is a must?

6. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Well if you don't plan to use any of the other lightning skills(Nova comes to mind, but you need to be fairly close for it to be in full effect, not to mention you need a LOT of mana and some good faster cast rate gear) and just TS, I would max out Lightning Mastery and TS as soon as possible.

Not sure about that Cold Mastery bug. I never put more than one point in 1.09 anyways, so I guess it doesn't matter much.

Just out of curiosity... what kind of gear are you using?

7. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Thunderstorm isn't a very good skill...it doesn't do enough damage to kill much on higher player settings. If you're only going to play through the game it's fine, but if you want to lvl a bit you need something more powerful. Nova is pretty good but needs to be around lvl 30 before it really gets good and as Serdash said needs a lot of mana.

There are some T-storm specs in the sorceress forum

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=314741

A chain lightning sorceress is actually possible and they can be quite powerful, they just need some very specific gear...I think there's still a guide in the Strategy compendium...they are very cool!

8. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

After reading through that a bit, it seems TS hits twice in 1.09, something I never knew.

I think with a merc and a little bit of patience it would be a wonderful skill to simply handle cold immune monsters. Honestly if he only wants to go dual tree and already has a lot of points invested in TS, it's probably going to be one of his main helpful killers. SF at level 10 has a decent range, so that should whittle down monsters fairly quickly as well.

9. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

I don't recall a CM bug in 1.09. What I recall was that in 1.09, CM could not lower the cold resistances of cold immune monsters. Anyway, since it is a diminishing returns skill, 1 point in CM seems to make it viable in any version and extra points seem to be better placed elsewhere.

10. farting bob

farting bob Banned

CM doesnt lower cold immune's res now, unless you mean that the immunity was taken away by convction or LR, then CM acted upon it, that might be the case.
    Anyway, depending on how many +skills you have, even if its not bugged you can get away with only a few points in it to get to a decent level.

11. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Cold Mastery was pretty much a 1 point wonder in 1.09. It wasn't bugged - it just worked in a way that made investing extra points a waste. Unlike it 1.10, Cold Mastery didn't reduce resistances below zero - so it made no difference to the large number of monsters with no cold resistance. Neither did it break immunity, so it wasn't useful against monsters with 100% cold resistance. So it only affected a few monsters in the game that had cold resistances between zero and 100. 1 point plus extra skill levels from equipment was usually enough.

Once you hit Hell you're going to start hitting cold immunes and you may find Thunderstorm frustrating then. Options include: pumping Nova, which is mana intensive but kills more monsters faster than TS, or investing in a fire skill like Firewall or Meteor. The FO / Firewall / TS tri-sorc was a staple 1.09 build.

Chris

12. Arreat_mercenary

I expected an answer like that chris! pretty much what I wanted to hear

Well, mainly this is my first ranged/magic char, so I thought both FO and TS were good skills. Since I already invested so much in TS, I think I'll max LM and TS, really, I don't want to get a fire skill, first I want to max TS.

My equipment goes like this:

Weapon: Occulus (what else!? but since I started this char, she's still using a gull, and will keep until hell)
    Armor: Skin of the vipermagi
    Belt: Gloom's trap
    Boots: Silkweave or tearhaunch (for more resists)
    Gloves: Frostburn
    Shield: The ward socketed with a Pdiamond (haven't found a 4 socket shield, but the +10 str from ward do help)
    Amulet: I'm preety crappy here, I'm using an +22 resist all and damage reduced by 16 rare amulet
    Ring: Raven frost
    Ring: Rare ring with +26 lightning, and +20 to the other resists
    Helm: Either rockstopper or peasant's crown (harlequin's has always evaded me! haven't found one in 2 years playing!)

Pretty much everthing, the charms are +life +mana +resists

13. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Sadly I've only got one Harlequin Crest myself. I might be able to help out on improving your Amulet a bit. Given you accept gifts and you're not against a little change. I've got this:

Storm Heart
    Amulet
    Required Level: 60
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 93
    Fingerprint: 0x84cbbf60
    +30 to Mana
    All Resistances +14
    21% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +1 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
    Level 1 Grim Ward (22/22 Charges)

and

Grim Eye
    Amulet
    Required Level: 25
    Item Level: 49
    Fingerprint: 0xdddad5f2
    +20 to Energy
    All Resistances +13
    23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +1 to Light Radius

I've also got a 2x PDiamond Mosers, or if you're going for max blocking I've probably got a spare Whitstans laying around.

All can be given at the cost of an e-mail. :)

14. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I've got a spare 1.09 Harlequin Crest, perhaps we can make a trade.

Harlequin Crest
    Shako
    Defense: 112
    Durability: 7 of 12
    Required Strength: 50
    Required Level: 62
    Unidentified
    Item Level: 90
    Fingerprint: 0x25356ac7
    +2 to Strength
    +2 to Energy
    +2 to Dexterity
    +2 to Vitality
    Damage Reduced by 10%
    50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +2 to All Skill Levels
    +1 to Life (1.5 per Character Level)
    +1 to Mana (1.5 per Character Level)

15. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

1.09 of course...I just assumed most people played in Hell. Thunderstorm would of course be an excellent killer in normal no doubt about that. It's not impossible to beat the game using Thunderstorm, but it's not a very powerful spell compared to Nova/Chain Lightning/Firewall/Meteor/Frozen Orb. If you want to do some serious leveling, you pretty much need to play on p5-8 and even 30/30 Lightning Mastery/Thunderstorm isn't very effective then. Thunderstorm only hits 1 monster at a time, it's random and the damage isn't too great.

16. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Honestly you can do cows with nothing but Orb. It might not be the ultimate and fastest way to get it done, but it works. Plus, Orb + TS = nice Meph Killer. TS will constantly hit meph so long as he's the only target on-screen. And orb is just a classic way to beat him down.

I mean it's just one character, some decent MFing can be done with it, and more characters can be built from the results.

And to be honest with you, to do "serious levelling" in 1.09, you usually do Cows or Ancients Way/Glacial Trail. So I usually play through hell at players 1 nowadays with characters I want to level faster.