Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.09 Septumvariate - Gonna do the Necro (#6)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by RobbyD, Jul 13, 2010.

1. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

1.09 Septumvariate - Gonna do the Necro (#6)

OK - I posted a while back that I was struggling to figure out a viable Necro build for 1.09, and it ended with my statement that it would be too tedious.

Well, challenges are what this game is about, and a 1.09 SP Necro appears to be a road not heavily traveled, so I think I will give this a try after all. Plus, I have not ever seen a 1.09 Septumvariate. Finally, I've also not resolved an irritating item-disappearance issue with trying to move my MeteOrb Sorc to 1.10s, so I interpret that as the game spirits telling me "Not yet! Finish the Seven."

My Necro's name will be MasterGomez.

I have 2 Hommys (for both weapon switches), so I will pump Dex for blocking, which will give MasterGomez a viable ability to hit with AR bonus from 1+skillers in Poison Dagger (which will be utilized to apply ST from Blackrog's Sharp and CB from "Strength" in a Fanged Knife). If the AR bonus bug of PD in 1.09 is real, non-dagger weapons may well be used for PIs in Hell.

MasterGomez will rely on maxed CE, Iron Golem, Golem Mastery, and Bone Spirit (for the copious PIs in 1.09 Hell). He will also rely on 1+skillers on Bone Prison, Curses, Revive, CG/FG/BG and Summon Resist.

MasterGomez will be twinked to the maximum extent possible, playing P8 until it is no longer viable. He will walk, not run (unless it's away from an especially tough boss that's in a Bone Prison). He will raise nary a skeleton (Short Sword with jewels of Envy will replace the default Wand). Revives will accompany the Merc and Golem.

An A2 Merc is obvious, but I am torn between Might and Holy Freeze. Thorns will already be at a very high level with maxed + skillers IG. So, Might for the offense or HF for the defense (and fewer corpses)? Defiance and Thorns don't complement the IG, so that's out. I'm leaning toward Might since CE will be the main skill, but Might mercs are fragile (but I guess being able to cast LT, Decrep, etc. should help that).

Hell Ancients were the battle I was dreading, but I have a plan. Blackrog's Sharp + Decrep. Make them statues again, and the poison from the Sharp to keep them from healing. Use 'Strength' Fanged Knife for CB if there is time to help the Merc, revived Blunderbores and IG. What do you think?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. Grapeape

Grapeape IncGamers Member

Re: 1.09 Septumvariate - Gonna do the Necro (#6)

I would say go with might, you dont really need the HF... Decrep and CG should be just fine for slowing the targets, or just decrep (sounds like you want to implement IG in your build). Goodluck with your new project... it sounds interesting, almost makes me wanna play 1.09 again.

3. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Re: 1.09 Septumvariate - Gonna do the Necro (#6)

Thanks, that's what I was thinking as well. CG doesn't have Slow Target in 1.09, but Blackrog's Sharp does, and since I will pump Dex for blocking anyway, I might as well have him do some supporting tanking. Maybe make an IG from a Crainte Vomir or Minotaur or General's Ta Di La to give him ST too?

Another option for a merc might be an A5 Merc with one of those 3-socket Cruel Champion Swords since what will be needed is the first corpse... but I understand that an A5 Merc is a bit of a loose cannon.