Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.09 Roll Call - Goals, Progress, Finds

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by RobbyD, Jul 27, 2010.

1. RobbyD

RobbyD Diabloii.Net Member

Re: 1.09 Roll Call - Goals, Progress, Finds

Well, Pindle's went and dropped me a TC90 S/U - a BKTG. *sigh*

I have hope, because a friend of mine has predicted that Pindle would drop a TC90 before dropped Teh Windeh - so I'm fully expecting that to be next.

I do have a little curiosity how a BK whirler would do in 1.09 - A Shael in the BKSC and a JoF in the BKTG gets them to the 4fps WW breakpoint.

**EDIT**

I realized that I should celebrate this grailer (and a couple new runewords I've made in the past few months) with a new 1.09 Flavie (Grail -6)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. DarkChaos

DarkChaos Diabloii.Net Member

Grats on the grailer, Robby - though a rarer one (i.e. annoying) than the WF you're looking for.

I finally got around to building the nova sorc. I finished hell today and spent some time cowing till 81 - it's not as fast as the WF zon but it's close. Fun fun. I have 47 skill points saved up, as I've only put 20 into Nova, 20 into LM, 1 into Warmth, 1 into TK and Teleport, and 1 into Static Field. I'll probably end up getting 1 into Frozen Armour, and go for 20 into orb with 1 cold mastery, and maybe dump the rest into 20 Meteor/1+ fire mastery to end up being a tri-sorc. Or maybe I'll just max Warmth for all that regen goodness... but none of it seems too important at the moment as I'm doing cows, so I'll probably wait.

No big finds to report, though I did cube a 3chip Grandmaster's Colossus blade (192%) to go along with the cruel (261%) that my Barb was using - pretty significant killing speed boost (although for p1 pindle, it doesn't matter all that much).

Also crafted various gems and runes that I had left, but had no big finds. A bow/xbow skiller with +24 life (or that might be from the last crafting/cubing session a week or two ago) was the best, but my Nova sorc still has only one Lightning skiller. She has a +2 lightning skills/5fcr/20MF (no res unfortunately) amulet waiting for her at ** for another +1 to nova/lightning mastery, but that seems to be the end of any gains in killing speed, save any lightning skillers I can find/cube. I did craft a few tantalizingly close amulets today though, including a +2 assassin/12 all res (19 fire)/19 FCR amulet (if that was a sorc skill amulet, I could have used a 6fcr crafted caster belt, dropped Lidless for Stormshield and still kept the 105 FCR :( ), +2 necro/9 all res (25 fire)/7 FCR, and even worse a +2 barb/20 allres/7 FCR. Ah well, none of this is essential as I'm playing softcore and there isn't exactly a lot of elemental damage in the cow level.

3. DarkChaos

My latest find in 1.09, and another one that came earlier than any reasonable statistical expectation:

The Grandfather
    Colossus Blade
    One-Hand Damage: 75 to 387
    Two-Hand Damage: 171 to 532
    Required Dexterity: 110
    Required Strength: 189
    Required Level: 81
    Sword Class - Normal Attack Speed
    Indestructible
    Unidentified
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 93
    Fingerprint: 0x2145c7af
    +20 to Strength
    +20 to Energy
    +20 to Dexterity
    +20 to Vitality
    +80 to Life
    +191% Enhanced Damage
    50% Bonus to Attack Rating
    +195 to Maximum Damage (2.5 per Character Level)

The ed% isn't that great, but the +max is really what makes it do a ton of damage (especially when using it as one-handed).

I'll have to think about how to socket it (probably just Shael), but even with slower attack speed than my CCB and Grandmaster's Colossus Blade, I'm quite certain it'll be better to use it than the Grandmaster's. And technically, I can't even use it on the barb yet for 2 and a bit more levels.

4. RobbyD

Congrats on the GF! For socketing - I would DEFINITELY hold out for a RJoF - a colossus blade is base speed [5], which means 15% gets you to [-10] for the 6fpa WW breakpoint - the extra 5% from Shael does you no good, and that's a weapon deserving of a top jewel. Until then, I would just use it unsocketed.

5. ERayz

ERayz Diabloii.Net Member

hi guys, I'm back after a few months of inactivity (have I ever been active? lol)

Since I think most of you won't remember me or will barely remember me, here is my D2 background, and why I play 1.09 SP.

Back when I was in high school, my father bought me D2 for christmas. I asked for D1, but he figured D2 would be better, and he was damn right! I started playing 1.07 on SP only for a year or two, but I had no technical knowledge about the game, so all my characters back then were miserably bad.

Later, I started playing on B.net (It must have been 1.08 or 1.09 back then) and was enjoying it a lot. Chatting, playing, trading, dueling, questing with other players online made me very addicted to D2.

Seeing I was spending too much time playing D2, my mom decided to cancel our internet service, also, my computer was filled with viruses of all sorts so the game was pretty much unplayable anyway. This happened just a few weeks after 1.10's release, I hated it already.

So I've been without a computer and internet access for 2-3 years, during which I would try to gather all the information I could about the game, looking forward to the day I'll get another computer to put my knowledge in practice (reading people's posts here made me realize I don't know much about the game after all). I decided I'd play 1.09, since I hated the synergy system, and the new overpowered runewords.

So, when I finally got a computer capable of running D2 smoothly (not very hard to come by, lol), I still had no internet access at home, so I finally started working towards my goals in D2 1.09, which was (and still is) to get all characters to level 99. And by all characters, I mean:

7 Softcore Expansion classes
    7 Hardcore Expansion classes
    5 Softcore Classic classes
    5 Hardcore Classic classes

I realize this is a completely unrealistic goal, especially for the Classic characters. I don't plan on reaching this goal, but whenever I play D2, it's to make progress towards it, which gives me motivation. I don't play much either, which means I don't make a lot of progress, heh. Also, I lost all my characters once (many 80+), due to a hard drive failure, I had to start all over. I'm not anywhere close to my goal

So, here is my progress so far:

Exp. Soft:
    Amazon: 87
    Assassin: 18 (used to be 77, decided to remake it, because her build was completely unviable in hell Cows)
    Barbarian: 86
    Druid: 44 (waiting to find better gear to continue)
    Necromancer: 56 (NEVER ever played necro before this one, and he is the character I play these days)
    Paladin: 26
    Sorceress: 87

Exp. HC
    Druid: 23

Classic SC:
    Amazon: 19
    Barbarian: 67
    Necromancer: 12
    Sorceress: 81

Classic HC:
    Amazon: 27
    Barbarian: 39
    Paladin: 16
    Sorceress: 25

As I said, I'm still ages away from my goal, but still working on it! I think that participating on these forums (especially this thread) will help me in many ways, in terms of getting info, tips, and motivation (maybe MPing with others via Hamachi??). It's also very interesting to read about others and how they progress towards their personal D2 goals ;)

6. DarkChaos

The first RJoF I find will definitely go in my Windforce, which means it will be a long time before I find another to put in the GF, by which time I'm all but certain I'll have another (and better ed%) GF by then. In almost 3 (1.10+) grails worth of items and 3 level 99 characters, I've not found many good RJoFs, so I know how rare they are. I'll probably settle for even a Raelgar of Fervor for the GF. I realized quickly after my last post that Shael is overkill though, so I'll be putting a fervor jewel with a decent second mod (I only have 5 fervor jewels total right now, none with good second mods - and the first 7 go towards 60ias armour and 45ias helm for the WF multizon). But I realize it's gonna be awhile till I have something decent enough to put in.

ERayz: Welcome, and the forum will definitely be helpful. It's still helpful for me now even though I've been a member (mostly lurking) for longer than I can remember. What kind of zon is that 87 of yours?

7. ERayz

My zon is a Freezing/Guided Arrow zon, using Buriza as her main weapon. I'm still hoping to find Windforce someday hehe

I have a question though, she is currently wearing dual Raven Frost, and since I know I don't need two, I'd like to replace one of them for something else, but I don't know what stats I should be looking for. She already has plenty of life/mana steal, but lacks resists (but resists bonus on rings are weak, most of the time .

8. RobbyD

A blue ring can get you 15 [email protected] and a yellow can roll something like 11/11/30/11, so I would say resists are a solid goal for your ring. I'd gamble rings for something good, or Blood craft (if you have some Sol runes).

9. ERayz

Yeah I guess I'll go with all resists rings. Also my zon is wearing Bloodfist, and I see most people use LoH here. I'm aware that 10% IAS on Bloodfist is pretty much useless. Did the breakpoints for IAS change after 1.09, or are they the same? Cause most info I find on the net is about 1.10+, so I don't how much I can rely on it.

Also, for example, having 20% IAS on a weapon, or having 20% IAS on gloves have the same effect? Or having IAS on weapon only affects the weapon whereas having it on gloves will affect global attack speed ?

Last question (sorry if I am annoying you), I heard about poison damage stacking, how does it work actually?

10. DarkChaos

The IAS breakpoints are the same (at least for zon).

For zon bow skills (and most javelin/spear skills, except for Fend and Jab if I recall), off-weapon IAS (e.g. glove) is the same as on-weapon IAS.

For poison, The Tao of Poison is a great guide to poison, if you can read through it all. Off the top of my head, poison when used with bow skills is bugged so that not only does the damage over time of poison sources get added, but so does the duration - so if you have two charms with 100 poison damage over 5 seconds, it will result in 400 poison over 10 seconds, instead of 200 poison over 5 seconds (same damage rate, but at a longer duration).

11. RobbyD

To add to DarkChaos' point, a 5 sox Long Bow socketed with 5 jewels of envy makes an unbeatable twinking weapon, as it can be used at level 1 and delivers 500 poison damage over 10 seconds. You might need some chipped amethysts for a Sorc to use at level 1 (though I prefer a couple grand charms of Strength). 5os long bows don't drop on the early game, so you have to look in the late game. A 6 pEmerald Long Battle Bow is the big brother available at level 18.

I have a Pestilent SC of Venom - my favorite - rolled from a Nilly SC and some other Pestilent or dual affix poison SCs that I plan on using for my WF strafer - only Baal and Nilly drop SCs that can roll Pestilent.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  12. ERayz

I've played my necro, MindGames a lot last two weeks, finished it on saturday night. Finished Hell at level 68

Even though I struggled to finish Hell on P1, I wanted to see what is was like to run hell cows on P8. Since all the enemies in the cow level are melee attackers, with physical damage, Blood Golem + Iron Maiden does the job. I gather as many Cows as I can and then I summon my golem into the middle of the group. I run around the cow pack, keeping them Iron maiden'd, and semi-spamming poison nova while running around.

Once there's 1-2 cows that die in the pack, I can chain CE the whole pack, even though CE doesn't scale with players X on 1.09 ....
    While my golem is in the middle of the pack, he leeches so much that I am invincible, I gain life faster than I take damage if I ever get stuck in some cows. So, I didn't need more points in golem mastery, but I maxed it anyway. Then I thought about maxing Iron Maiden, since the Cows would kill themselves a bit faster this way. I don't know though if the difference will be notable or not, but whatever, my main skills are maxed already.

The main problem is that a run takes a while with this character (35 - 45 minutes). So, I'm trying to do at least one run every day. And so far, MindGames reached level 76 today.

Also played some TCP/IP with my cousin (anybody here plays 1.09 via TCP/IP or Hamachi here?), him playing a Vengeance/Conviction paladin with me, playing a Phoenix strike Assassin. I had a level 77 Tiger Strike / Dragon Claw Assassin that was doing quite well, but since I didn't know where to get XP with her, I decided I'd make another Assassin.

13. RobbyD

Gratz on the pat. I never took my Necro cowing.

I might be up for some MP.

14. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I'd really like to start playing 1.09 at some point for nostalgaia, so maybe if you guys start doing some MP I might jump in this fun ship.

15. Klonki

Klonki Diabloii.Net Member

Hey Robby. Long time ago now.. Have been starting out with a new sorc. Had 4 envyjewels and a 5os long bow.. Found the fifth envyjewel some minutes ago now. It's really kicking butt with this bow! :crazyeyes:

16. RobbyD

Hey Klonki... glad that bow's living up to its billing. You could prolly get it even better by dropping some jewels of envy in a skull cap, but I found that weapon plenty powerful all by itself. You have a 6os long battle bow for level 18?

17. Klonki

Klonki Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah somewhere. The ultimate would be a full envy-gear for me and my rouge. Does the psn-glitch also work with the rouge as well?

18. RobbyD

I don't think the poison glitch works with the Rogue Merc, actually. When I did my sorc, I think I used a 6 pEmerald LBB from 18 to 30. You start needing some patience if you're on P8, but still effective.

19. ERayz

This weekend, I decided to remake my SC Classic Barb, Baron Stomp (level 68), because I was reading stuff about Classic Barbs, and most people seem to prefer 2H mace-type weapons over 1 handed weapons, because in Classic, no matter what weapon you will use, Whirlwind will hit the 4 frames breakpoint. Combining this with high damage weapons, it makes WW Barbs very deadly. Classic players usually use either BoneSnap, or rare Martel de Fer with high ED%. I figured I'd be better to use Steeldriver, cause I want to do CS runs safely (by not spamming WW, in case of Iron Maiden). So I plan on using Concentrate as well, and Steeldriver has a 40% IAS bonus and LOWWWW strength requirements, allowing me to put more points in life.

I wear Iratha set For the bonus to resistances, but it limits my choices in amulets and rings, since this set prevents me from using a Mana Leech amulet, forcing me to use Manald's Heal. For my second ring, I'm trying to find a good AR/LL ring (currently wearing a 72/5), cause I really lack AR sources. My armor is Twitchthroe, which is fine, for attack speed bonus, which is just enough to attack in 14 frames (still very slow hehe), since Iratha's Cuffs do 20% IAS as well.

I wish I could replace Iratha with low req gear, with mods like, Life, hit recovery, dual resists, strength and AR.

The main reason why I wanted to restart my Barb, was because I needed a Pal weapon in Classic, and my Barb was wearing a pretty Good rare Naga:

135% ED
    201 AR
    10 Max Damage
    40% IAS

All this struggle with finding a good gear setup would be solved if I had one dual leech ring, with AR. I could then wear a Prismatic ring for the resists, and then be able to use Rare armor, helm, belt, gloves and boots with life, since I would need less resist per piece, and not be as weak as Iratha's set (which is still kinda nice for a budget Classic Char). All this lead me to think I should play 1.03 for a while, in order to find (gamble) such rings, because IIRC, 1.03 rare items tend to have much better mods. In the meantime, I would abuse the Unique items and gambling mechanics to find easy SoJs.

20. Corrupted

Corrupted Diabloii.Net Member

1.06b was the last pre-LoD patch, it still featured unique-gambling and the larger affix pool without all the bugs.
    That said, here's some input on your barbarian build: Since you're playing softcore there's no real reason not to use a Martel de Fer, when you get enough lifesteal you will be able to tank a whirlwind while IM'ed without dying because the damage:hp ratio in classic allows that. At the very least I would recommend going with Bonesnap and keeping additional stats available for a Martel De Fer in the end if you manage to get the right equipment. Because of lifeleech the only thing you really need to cover is lr for MSLE's and perhaps positive fire res.
    Do you have a certain scope with running the CS with a Barbarian? Or is that just the 'goal' itself?