Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.09 MF Build?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by maxicek, Nov 19, 2006.

1. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

1.09 MF Build?

I was thinking of going Ravenclaw hunting in 1.09. As I have never played that version, please can some one recommend skill point allocation for a MF build? The character will be untwinked obviously.

What do I need to watch out for?
    What other than a Ravenclaw is worth bringing forward?

Thanks for any advice in advance. I have done a search and checked the stickies but couldn't find anything.

OT: Where is Frostburn these days?

2. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

meteorb is good
    max frozen orb, meteor, fire mastery, cold mastery

3. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

I agree with nebux on the build. 1.09 is like 1.10/1.11 with fewer items, no synergies and a lot easier in general.

Look for fr/w small charms. They come with 5% instead of 3%. Azurewrath is a crystal sword in 1.09 and it doesn't drop in later versions. It's a decent low-level sword but is mostly collected for grail purpose.

4. maxicek

Thanks K-T & nebux. Is it in 1.09 that Duriel is Cold Immune?

5. nazgarok

nazgarok IncGamers Member

Duriel is CI in 1.09, also Frozen Orb/Thunder Storm build is very good for both PvM and MF purposes. Max FO,CM,TS and LM, 1 pt in good skills, however this build isn't capable of doing hell in 1.10. Also don't bother bringing set items from 1.09 because they don't get their own partial set bonuses if they are found before 1.10.
    EDIT: Watch out for Multi Shot Lightning Enchanted bosses. They can kill you before you see them, they spam countless lightning bolts packed together, so you get a huge damage (sometimes 1 hit kill even w/75 resist). Also watch out for dolls, don't kill them if you are very close, the explosion hurts in 1.09 esp. when you are a sorceress (their damage increases with player settings).

6. tartanasia

tartanasia IncGamers Member

Try sorb and nova and max light and cold mast. This build was very popular in realm cow runs and mephy runs

7. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

Correct... NM and Hell.... you will find that SF works better than it should in hell in 1.09 (if you have players 8 going) so a hell Duriel isn't as tough as he should be:smiley:

8. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

Build an amazon with 100% pierce. Have a maxed guided arrow and it will pierce a boss up to 3-5 times taking down life in a matter of 4 or 5 shots. Go with either a level 10 multishot or maxed lf and nothing in the game will stand in your way with the killing power you can have with a decent bow like a burzia or lycanders aim or even a kuko shakaku. And a burzi has 100% pierce so if you find one with an amazon you won't even need to invest points in that skill.

9. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

If you are just looking for Raven Claw, you may want to play 1.09 Classic instead of 1.09 LoD. You won't have to get far to have a decent chance of Raven Claw dropping and in fact you can stay in normal so that shouldn't be too much of a time investment. You'll also have decent chance of seeing the old Azurewrath drop in normal as well if you are interested in that as well.

10. maxicek

Thanks for the advice. Looks like my biggest problem at the moment is that I can't run 1.09 under Mac OSX as the Carbon patch only came out for 1.10. So my plans are on hold until I can be bothered to install Mac Classic and OS9. I don't think D2 runs very well under OS9 either. :sad2:

11. purplelocust

Actually, D2 runs pretty well under OS9- I used to play it that way (both in the Classic environment and booting up under OS9) until 1.10. I can't remember exactly what was when, but there was a period (perhaps just OS X Beta) when D2 was much more playable booted up under OS 9 than running in Classic.

12. Kombat Wombat

Kombat Wombat IncGamers Member

Hmmm... will static field behave the same way if you increase the number of players beyond 8?

13. purplelocust

You can't increase the number of players beyond 8. You can type players 16 but the effect won't be of 16 players in the game. One of the things that was added to 1.10 was a confirmation message. I'm not sure if when you type players 16 in 1.09 if that resulted in the same effect as players 8 or players 1, but it was one or the other, I'm pretty sure.

14. Kombat Wombat

Kombat Wombat IncGamers Member

Hmm, I've read that in 1.09 you could set the number of players up to 64, though I've never tried it before.

I got my info from this thread.

15. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure that Kombat Wombat is right... but iirc the exp gain doesn't scale with the HP properly (I could be wrong on a number of accounts here).

To answer the question, does SF work better than it should (i.e. no cap) on all players settings, it seems not... on players 64 SF will get take about 1/4 of mephs health off, and it started working again at players 18 (no cap).... To clarify my initial statement, on players 1 & 2 SF works as it should, on players 3 and up (well to 18 at least) SF doesn't have a cap. The players 8 reference was due to the amount of HF rushing I've done in the past:rolleyes:

That's about all I have.......

EDIT: No idea if SF behaves this way on normal monsters... Meph and Duriel yes...

16. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

IIRC: That only works for 1.09b (and not 1.09d)

17. maxicek

Well, I finally got 1.09 installed and working on my Mac in the classic environment. The graphics performance is terrible, but turning all the effects off and running at 640x480 is just about playable.

It has been quite some time since I played an un-twinked character and I had forgotten how tough it is. I shopped a 3os long bow from Gheed. It currently has a chipped topaz and sapphire in it, but gem drops have been scarce. It was my only source of damage until fireball came along. When I got to the jail, the bow and fireball were not cutting it at p8. I decided to turn down the players setting rather than put points into fireball. I will try to hang it out until I can get to Act 2. Then I will try to shop a 2os +3 fireball staff from Drognan, and go back to the countess for the runes for leaf and stealth. That should see me through until I get Blizzard.

I'm finding it a bit slow going, but untwinked certainly makes every yellow drop an event. Hopefully the Ravenclaw will turn up sooner rather than later.

18. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

What build would you recommend to play in 1.09 classic? Also, do uniques in 1.09 classic have level requirements (I seem to remember reading that they don't somewhere)?

Thanks