1.09 Mephisto farming Assassin

symeon

Diabloii.Net Member
Chimaira said:
Yes of course...your guide said you had to use a Hone Sundan so I did:) it really wasn't that impressive, but I didn't time it or anything so...
The only reason I can think of is that your Barb dishes out so much damage that the Merc's Crushing Blow doesn't make much difference. In the Assassin's case, he is responsible for 0.5 - 0.75 of the total damage done to Mephisto.

Chimaira said:
...maybe my barbarian deals more damage than your assasin and therefore Mephisto sees your merc as a bigger threat??
Yes, the Crushing Blow damage isn't regarded as "real" damage by Meph, i.e. he won't turn to the Merc because of it. That's why I suggest against using the Might Merc.

Chimaira said:
Also I've been wondering about the vampire lords behind Mephisto...You seem to regard them as quite a threat...
No, not really. It's just better not to wake them up at all :).

Chimaira said:
About the Phoenix Strike damage...I really meant Tiger Strike, sorry.
At level 26, the 3rd charge is good for +1800% damage. I assume this means that the Bartuc's base damage (85-150) is either modified by

(1800% + 200% (from Str and Dex)) * (85-150) = 2000% * (85-150) = 1700-3000 damage,

or by

1800% * ((85-150) + 200% (from Str and Dex)) = 1800% * (255 - 450) = 4590 - 8100 damage.

Due to his 50% physical resistance, Meph would take 850-1500 per release in the first case and 2295-4050 in the second. Assuming Mephisto's life is about 140,000 Hit Points at players 3, that's about 1/45th of his life in the first case, and 1/20th of his life in the second case, which is the one that agrees with my observations.

Unless, of course, there's a gross miscalculation in there somewhere :rolleyes: .
Quite likely, actually.

Chimaira

Diabloii.Net Member
symeon said:
The only reason I can think of is that your Barb dishes out so much damage that the Merc's Crushing Blow doesn't make much difference. In the Assassin's case, he is responsible for 0.5 - 0.75 of the total damage done to Mephisto.
I don't think this is the case...He uses dual Lightsabres, so the damage shouldn't be much higher than on your assasin....hmm the mystery deepens. But I think you're overestimating the mercs damage...there's the nasy merc vs bosses damage penalty and crushing blow doesn't scale with player settings:(

symeon said:
(1800% + 200% (from Str and Dex)) * (85-150) = 2000% * (85-150) = 1700-3000 damage,
I'd be VERY surprised if this wasn't the way to calculate it:) Usually all %enhanced damage not from weapons are calculated together.

But the damage looks good...I actually have like 25 leftover skill points on my old 1.09 MA assasin, maybe I should look into Tiger Strike...You really should try 1.10, it's nice that there are some new claws so you don't absolutely have to wear Bartucs...also trapsins don't totally suck:)

symeon

Diabloii.Net Member
Chimaira said:
...there's the nasy merc vs bosses damage penalty and crushing blow doesn't scale with player settings:(
Yes, but I don't think it suffers the boss penalty either. That's why I state the Merc's actual damage is immaterial.

Chimaira said:
I'd be VERY surprised if this wasn't the way to calculate it:) Usually all %enhanced damage not from weapons are calculated together.
I thought so as well, but the Assassin's release damage is closer to 1/20th than 1/45th of Mephisto's life. What actually happens is that it's probably the first equation, only I forgot to factor in Claw Mastery bonuses. I know that it's bugged in 1.09, so I won't even try.

Chimaira said:
...You really should try 1.10, it's nice that there are some new claws so you don't absolutely have to wear Bartucs...also trapsins don't totally suck:)
First the 1.09 grail - then we talk.
By the way, I got my HoZ this weekend. Moving on fairly well :).

Chimaira

Diabloii.Net Member
I've done some testing with my barb...

Players 1

Without mercenary = 14 seconds
With mercenary = 12 seconds

Players 3

Without mercenary= 32 seconds
With mercenary = 18 seconds

I'm really surprised at the players 3 results, go go crushing blow. But for players 1 I'd say go without a mercenary. Do you usually run MF runs at players 3, cause I think it's much more effective to run at players 1.

Symeon said:
What actually happens is that it's probably the first equation, only I forgot to factor in Claw Mastery bonuses. I know that it's bugged in 1.09, so I won't even try.
Yes Claw Mastery was bugged in 1.09...first of all it had 100% critical strike like the barb masteries instead of the listed 20ish%, secondly the damage and ar bonuses were inverted...weird.

Symeon said:
By the way, I got my HoZ this weekend. Moving on fairly well .
Congratulations:) The only thing I found in this round of testing was a 39% enhanced damage jewel.