Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.09 melee chars can do it !

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Atomium, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

1.09 melee chars can do it !

I guess this is an old topic, but I can't resist to add my 5 cents.

In the last 2 months (I had quit D2 for a while), I have been hearing many people complaining about how incredibly tough is .10 and how melee chars are useless now, and how 1.09 chars are not viable anymore... :scratch:

Come on guys, this is a joke, right? You were perhaps so used to run through batallions of cows without being hurt that even a bit of challenge is too much now. :lol:

I admit that my knowledge of chars and builds is far from excellent, and I suppose that some of them are not up to the challenge anymore. But don't tell me that all melee chars from 1.09 cannot survive and do well in 1.10, because my barb is doing fine here.

He is all about mf (800%), Skullder's, Stealskull, masses of 7% mfsc, etc. What I mean is that he is not very powerful in combat, and still, for the last 2 months, he owned Meph with only a Lightsabre ! :yep:

A few days ago, I offered him a CB BotD (almost certainly 100% duped, but I won't trade it anyway). And he solo'ed Baal and his minions without a scratch, even if it was a bit too long to be a comfortable mf run.

So please, stop claiming that all melee or 1.09 chars are as good as dead, because that only means that you're not good enough to survive without your Iths.

See you in Hell.

2. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

Wow you are so elite

3. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

:lol:

No, I am not, and this is exactly my point...
    I don't understand why so many people complain because it is not that hard to survive in 1.10.

4. Magos

Magos IncGamers Member

Just because you can survive doesnt mean it is as much fun as it could be. The people with legitimate complaints about 1.10 arent unhappy about how difficult it is to survive. They are unhappy about the ridiculous class unbalance and the fact there are very, very few builds that can be succesful.

One of the biggest foundations of Diablo has always been the huge diversity in the ways to play the game. The massive number of builds and skill sets available. Now anyone can reel off the small number of builds you should choose from if you want to do well.

There is some amazing stuff in 1.10 but its like they ran out of time to do all the classes and builds justice.

They could keep everyone happy if they made it possible for people to reduce the difficulty level in just solo, offline play, so that all skills and builds could be played again for fun. People want the small chance of seeing some of the new high end items and they would like to be able to do it with a build they find fun or with a character they may have been playing for 2, 3 or even 4 years.

5. Youma

Youma IncGamers Member

The problem with melee characters is that you need to be rich to survive, while a sorceress for example just needs a little resistance from items, and could play naked apart from that.

6. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

I cannot agree with that. My mf barb is "rich", but his gear is oriented to survival. You could replace my expensive mf items with very common gear, and easily survive.

7. Youma

Youma IncGamers Member

Forget what I said, I'm probably too damn poor to even have a voice in this.. :)

8. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

The only real problem I have with my melee characters is Iron Maiden.

I surely wouldn't classify myself as rich ( no BotD's or Enigma's ) :surprise:

9. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Could you give us an accurate time estimate on how long it actually takes you to kill Mephisto in nightmare mode, and in hell mode with the Lightsabre? While it is very possible to "own" Meph with a Lightsabre, killing speed becomes an important factor doing MF runs, or just about anything for that matter. You also didn't tell us what type of barb you have, the skills you maxed out and the attack(s) you use on Mephi.

When the 1.10 patch came out I made two barbs on the ladder: 1 barb using 1.09 Sword/Shield/WW build and the other one an experimental Sword/Frenzy build (shield on switch but only when situations really become dangerous). My experience for both builds vary greatly but they share one common thing: in hell mode the lack of killing speed that you could see in 1.10 cookie-cutter builds.

My L86 S/S/WW 1.09 design's skills/items: MAXed SM/WW/BO/CONC. Points evenly distributed to NR/SHOUT/IS. The rest of skill points go to Pre-Reqs. Items are as follows: (Battle gear) Arreat's with 30ED/IAS jewel, 23%DR Leviathan with 40ED jewel, 9% Dracul's, War Travs, 15% Verdungo's, 260% Azurewrath with Mal rune, 2 x 6/7 dual leech rings, Low Mara's. Lots of combat barb charms, 33% Gheed's, 1 Anni and various resists charms. Magic find gear is the same as yours.

Soloing Mephi on a solo-private game wasn't a tedious task. The longest part of the journey was finding the durance 3 stairway. Mephi usually took no longer than 2 minutes to kill combining WW/CONC/Berserk attacks. I tried on an 8-player game, it's a different ball game. I didn't even attempt to kill him on my first try because I've been whacking for two minutes and Mephi's life bar has barely moved. (Side note: My 1.10 Hammerdin and FO/Meteor Sorc can single-handedly take Mephi out in less than 2 minutes in a full 8-player hell game.)

I'm not going into detail with my Frenzy Barb because he has the same items only this time he uses BK Children for his Frenzy attack and 20 points assigned in Frenzy. Again in solo play Mephi is easy, even easier with Frenzy, but takes a long long time to kill on a game with 8 players.

The most annoying part of MFing with a barb (even with the 1.10 CONC Design) that isn't using Enigma and BOTD is the need to change from battle gear to MF gear especially when doing Baal runs. On MF gear alone I could get to Mephi but I finish a full belt of potions and have to do a couple of town visits to restock on potions. (Side Note: FO/Meteor Sorc can get to Mephi in about 5 minutes regardless of how "lost" I get and takes no more than 2 minutes to kill Mephi in an 8-player game).

I salute you for your effort in trying to keep 1.09 melee builds viable :clap: but you have to remember that some folks (like me) love cookie-cutters (or maybe have other reasons) why melee characters in 1.09 are not so viable anymore in 1.10. Taking one minute to kill a quill rat with Azurewrath (a fairly respectable, decent weapon) in an 8-player game called "Hell Act 1 Now" simply isn't my idea of fun.

To me 1.09 melee characters (esp. barbs) isn't dead per se, but aren't as fun to play with compared to the 1.10 builds.

10. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

First of all, everybody has the right to give his opinion on those forums (even me, isn't that a proof). I don't mean this to sound patronizing, but if I had no interest in your opinion, I wouldn't have written that thread in the first place.

Second, I disagree with you, again. If you equip a melee char with Grisworld armor (it has 3 sockets clean for extras), Stealskull, IK belt, IK gloves, IK boots, a Baranar Star, and an average shield socketed with diamonds, it will cost you less than 100 PGems (and everybody is able to collect 100 PGems in a few days of playing). Gamble with the money you find to add decent rare rings and amu, keep all the charms you can. :thumbsup: I can guarantee you that with this gear, a char can survive at least in the Acts I, II, III in Hell. And you can easily mf Mephisto in Nightmare in order to get tradables to improve your gear.

festers50, I am glad to see that at least someone does agree with me. :clap:

11. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

I just checked it with a spare Lightsabre. To kill Meph in Hell from first contact to finishing him with my 2 Ali Babas, 57 seconds. The longest part of course is to find the entrance to Durance 3. I don't stop for monsters, of course, but it takes me between 1 and 4 minutes when I am not lucky. You see that killing Meph is not the time consuming part... I used 4 red and 3 blue potions in the whole process (I met a mana burn bastard on the way, and I can't leech from Meph).

I use Berserk (lvl 22) as main attack against Meph, and dual yield for my Alis (lvl 3). I maxed sword mastery (lvl 23), of course. One shot of battle command (lvl 3), then battle orders (lvl 22), and battle cry (lvl 3) every 20 seconds. For my survival, I also gave a few points in Increased speed and Natural resistances (lvl 8 each including bonuses).

I agree with you. And if you like cookie-cutters, which you perfectly have the right to do, then 1.09 chars are not for you anymore. Your point is made, and it does not contradict mine. I did not say that everybody has to love 1.09 chars in 1.10. I just say that they do survive if you adapt your method and accept to a bit slower. And I think the fuss made by many people about those 1.09 chars "not standing a chance in the pit" or "unable to survive 5 minutes in Hell" is simply an exageration.

12. Youma

Youma IncGamers Member

Notice the smiley, I wasn't serious!

[sarcasm]Just a few days of hunting gems, that sounds like fun![/sarcasm]

13. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

I never said this game was about fun ! :lol: :lol: :lol: