Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.08 impressions: YES!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Speedster, May 8, 2013.

1. Speedster

Speedster IncGamers Member

Didn't see a thread on 1.08, but I logged in last night after work and played through most of Act 1 in an MP5 public game. I hadn't played in PTR.

1. The monster density increase is a massive improvement. I hadn't played Act 1 (other than key runs) in months. This time around it was intense -- none of the big gaps where you're staring at the scenery. I like it better than Act 3 now.

2. The identify-all function changes the flow of the game. Should have been there from 1.00, but in any event it makes a huge difference. In a public game, it probably cuts your town/ID/sell time by two thirds. I was glad they dumped the stupid identify scrolls from D2, but the ID-all finally puts the gameplay emphasis back on the combat and quests.

3. The experience boost in a group is noticeable, and we had the same team of 4 playing for a good chunk of the evening. The experience also piles up, even in Act 1, because there's more to kill. My wizard is up to p-lvl 91, so the xp bars move slowly, but faster than I'm used to.

4. Teleport works -- beautifully. This is what I had expected way back when. It seemed like a minor change in the 1.08 notes, but when you're actually using it the difference is night and day.

On the downside, the increased monster density means you can't afford to kite much, so the party needs to stick together and attack in a somewhat coordinated way. Wandering off in 1.08 is probably more of a death sentence than it used to be.

Overall, great patch. I've been playing continuously since 1.00, but the 1.05-1.08 patches significantly improved the game.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen IncGamers Member

I really like with the density changes. As an archon wizard, this opened up the farming game immensely.

I have only done act 1 yet and it seems (from my initial testing) that not all areas were changed.

Density increased:
    - Fields of misery
    - Weeping hollow
    - Festering woods

Did not see any density change in:
    - Northern highlands
    - Southern highlands

3. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

I'm loving the changes, Act 1/2 was really intense in some areas, Act 4 was hard (All MP10).

Blizzard finally understands, hope the itemization patch doesn't disappoint!

4. Speedster

Multiplayer is vastly better now. It wasn't so great prior to this patch, but the increased monster density and xp bonus (everyone loses if one player drops) makes it more of a team push. A very different dynamic, and the identify all keeps the pace going. (Single player, there is no pace really.)

My legendary drop rate went up noticeably last night, although nothing great -- maybe the SoJ is sellable.

On not finding upgrades, obviously not using the AH or trading kind of limits the game. Basic probability means diminishing chances of upgrades, and not participating in the game economy means those diminishing chances occur sooner. There's no fix for that, other than trading.

5. slyraje

slyraje IncGamers Member

My favorite area so far has been the Dahlgur Oasis. I'm not sure I'm going to like it with a caster class as much, but with my monk it was a blast.

@Ivan
    I'm pretty sure the reason you're seeing around the same amount of loot is because of the adjustments they made to drop chances for some monsters. From the patch notes: "The following monsters have their experience and chance to drop loot modified to better align with their hit points: (list of monsters)."

I saw more loot in the few runs that I have done today, but not by a wide margin. The amount of experience I'm getting per run is what's been the most noticeable.

6. Death_StrikeR

Death_StrikeR IncGamers Member

Its a dream come true for a WoTB barb in Act 1 XD
    Really, i can keep it longer than i used to.

7. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

Monster density sadly, just shows that the massively abused WW/CM wizard and Hurricane/RltW barbarian need to be changed.

8. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

and don't forget AH mini-game with it's bonus to gold find

9. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen IncGamers Member

In my previous act 3 runs i have never been able to get my archon up to more than "4 minutes remaining".

In act 1 now, i have seen up to 8 minutes remaining. This means that monster density is increased so that it's now more profitable to farm act 1 than act 3. I like it. I am dead tired of act 3 runs and i really like act 1 better with the different settings/environments and the XP just flowing in like never before. :)

10. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

LOL at the Dahlgur Oasis. An ocean of cloaked snakes. Better hope you can take hits.

11. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

And instead what they're going to change, is Archon Wizards after making the skill finally useful in groups.

Ac1 is IN-SANE. I love The Weeping Hollow HOLY ****

12. Flux

Flux Administrator

I've been doing A1 and A2 key runs (well, more like clears that involve key areas) and both the fields and the Dahlgur are great now. Better than Stonefort, anyway. But what you say about Dahlgur is very true.. it's just invisi-snake land. Routinely get packs of 15-25 of them, all surrounding me invisible and decloaking at once. Which is awesome for my Monk, but I'm wondering WTF a modestly equipped DH will do with that.

Gloom/SS/Bola I guess, but I recall having a lot of trouble with Nagas with my SC DH back in the early days, since they were the one monster that Vaulting and Caltrops was useless against, since they'd just cloak and go intangible. And that was when there were 3 or 4 of them at once. Now there are 20!

I've been doing more A2 than A1, but I really enjoy the Leoric's Tortue levels at the end of A1. Great monster density and a nice mixture of heavies with trash and casters. I had an occasion yesterday where I actually had to TR three times, going through the same huge pack thrice, to hit a Gobby before he could portal out. It was in one of those + intersections, where there are 4 rooms, one on each corner, and there were 2 boss packs and about 50 cultists just pouring out of the rooms. One of the most fun huge groups of enemies I've ever seen in D3, and not all just scorpions or skeletons for easy destruction.

13. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

Been using just Rapid Fire: Fire Support, Gloom, and Fan of Daggers to mow them down. Get totally surrounded, time for Fan of Daggers.

14. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

I like to play with my alternate-ish build (something involving rend and WW, but no perma-wrath or sprint; that reminds d2 barbarian). Imo, 1.08 is awesome!

Like other people said, I honestly think that farming with anything less than double tornado right now will fell underwhelming result-wise (4-6 legendaries/hour, etc.). However, one can have more fun and get experience faster now (without killing scorpions on MP10).

All things considered, I plan to do the following:

- Play with nostalgic barb until paragon 100 for fun and XP;
    - Work on his gear to get a double tornado barb up and running to kill trash mobs on MP10 and get legendaries in quantity (unless I decide to lvl someone else or the itemization patch is live).

Personally, I don't care about the drop rates anymore (at least not until itemization patch). My WD was able to find 2-3 legendaries per hour, while my barbarian is on the 1-2 mark (no MF on gear). The only item I really need is a %mov speed str ice climbers and (maybe) high vit Inna's Pants. All things considered, I'll rejoice on the glass half full, since I'm gaining decent XP playing with the build I always wanted to (not the "mandatory one").

15. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

I'm happy with it. I want more, (of course, who doesn't?) but this team is starting to develop a track record of making changes that resoundingly improve the game in meaningful ways.

But this patch sort of feels like one half of the equation. They've effectively given us non-stop carnage, now give us non-stop loot.

16. Speedster

I've been getting a fair number of legendaries (and truckloads of rares) -- just not rares that upgrade my gear. But then I've got almost 1,000 hours into this wizard so upgrades are going to be tough...

17. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

Jesus. The changes to MP have made me wonder why I'd ever bother with SP again, which isn't really a bad thing. I think it's MP games for the rest of all time for me.

18. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

Same for me. I hated playing single player. I like having interactions with other people online... now there are actual rewards for playing with others. This also, I think, opens up new build opportunities. Since playing on your own is a whole different dynamic than playing with a group. I've been experimenting a lot with my wiz, and I've almost found a build I'm happy with that I could've never realistically played without someone else in the game.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

19. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

Everybody seems to be happy leaving complains to me! :crazyeyes:

Well - higher density makes me happy as well BUT they improved just density of regular monsters. I am getting pain in my legs before I manage to stack 5 elite packs and I must plow through hectares of poor, meaningless trash demons as well. I think Blizz should throw in some extra blues and even some new encounters - the old ones are getting boring.

So generally: the changes are good but I wont more.

20. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

I like this new 1,08 patch alot. Game is much better now. I hadn't played d3 for ages so it felt like a different game to come back to with most areas so densely packed with monsters.

Identify all and ah item comparison. Things i had been waiting for since beta are finally here. Very positive feeling with the game now. Well done blizzard.

But itemization is still so freaking boring and dull and useless. I wanna scream, whinge and moan that the items in diablo 2 are still much more interesting. This shouldn't be.

Why can't we even add sockets to items yet? It's all about the socket anyway. Everyone is just using the same type of weapons, crit damage and the dreaded 100% crit emerald in there.

No varitey whatsoever. Still no use for white items, blue items, no socketables, no interesting gems or jewels, nothing. Nothing to collect just wait for some legendary to drop that has a decent crit roll.

If this game had the itemization of d2 it would be a great game. But d3 still has promise. And i will keep playing for a while again.

Those are my impressions. Cya in the game.

Edit: Almost forgot. One more thing they added that is really helpful and clever: When joining public games you can search for games in the whole act instead of searching for each quest. Great!

Last edited: May 15, 2013